PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Baxter Smith

Baxter Smith
07-04-2010, 3:25 PM
Hadn’t had a chance to turn anything in almost two months when I picked up this piece of butternut and apple from my dry “Maine woodpile”. Was thinking hollow form and finial to begin with, but since I had some dry wood to work with, this just sort of evolved as I went along.
The pedestal was going to be a little thinner but the borer had other thoughts.
Butternut and apple finished with AO. 9 wide x 14 high

My utilitarian piece is an apple barrel also finished in AO.
Wanted to turn something and send it to my son for his (new to him) house.

I would like to thank Roland Martin for the Art Challenge suggestion as well as Keith Burns and John Kenton whose work and postings I have admired.

Roger Chandler
07-04-2010, 3:35 PM
Baxter,

Very nice hollow form, and toothpick holder. Your execution on the hollow form is really good! I like the contrasting collars and finials. The stand is really slender and looks almost fragile in comparison to the form it is holding up. I suspect that is what makes these types of turnings so attractive, as it almost looks like the world spinning on top of a needle [a great optical illusion]

The toothpick holder is nice as well and almost defines "utilitarian."

Keith Burns
07-04-2010, 4:25 PM
Most excellent work on both pieces Baxter. Great detail work on the finial and pedestal. Love the color combination and the form on the body. Just great work. I opened the pics before I read your description and when I hit next and saw the little barrell, I said "what the heck is that" the hit next and saw that what it was. Whew, I was scared for a minute but I like it now.

Paul Douglass
07-04-2010, 4:42 PM
Beautiful work!

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2010, 4:43 PM
Baxter - excellent! Seriously - very nice work on everything!

Love the hollow form! Great form and detail work! Really like the wood combination!

Really like the toothpick holder! Beautiful wood - unique form!

Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
07-04-2010, 5:09 PM
Baxter, you are the MAN!! That is some beautiful work! Really like the form, and the pedestal/finial combination is fantastic - just can't say enough about it. Beautiful work.

I like the toothpick holder, too! Very nice color and great job on the shape and detailing.

Great entries!!

Frank Van Atta
07-04-2010, 5:51 PM
Two great pieces.

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 5:59 PM
Very nice finial and pedestal work on the HF. The color combination is great, and the detailing is wonderful. The main body of the form has an interesting shape that seems to move... I like the effect.

The toothpick holder is pretty cool as well. I was really impressed for a brief period while I thought that you had turned a full-sized barrel.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 6:08 PM
Two really beautiful piece Baxter. Really like that HF.

Michael Short
07-04-2010, 6:17 PM
Stunning. Excellent job Baxter.

Steve Mawson
07-04-2010, 6:36 PM
Baxter, really nice piece. Hope you don't mind but I am saving a picture in my file. Like the way it all fits together.

Dirk Hoogendoorn
07-04-2010, 6:36 PM
That is beautiful work Baxter, nothing more to add, just lovely. Dirk H

Allen Neighbors
07-04-2010, 7:52 PM
What steady hands you must have!! And a good eye to go with them!! Excellent work

charlie knighton
07-04-2010, 8:52 PM
very nice Baxter, you nailed them both

Harvey Ghesser
07-04-2010, 8:58 PM
Great work, Baxter! Love the HF with finial!:D

Curt Fuller
07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Wow Baxter, that pedestal HF is very nice! I love the two woods in the pedestal and finial. That's really a nice piece of work.

I like the apple barrel too. I've made a couple pencil cups that I have around the house. That barrel look would make mine look a lot better.

Tom Sherman
07-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Great work on both pieces Baxter.

John Hart
07-05-2010, 5:51 AM
I want one of those barrels!! That is pretty cool. Your art piece is stunning Baxter! Wonderful pieces both...and I like your composite picture at the end too. Nicely done. :)

Tony De Masi
07-05-2010, 2:34 PM
Beautifully done Baxter, on both pieces. Really love the HF but superb skills on both.

Tony

Baxter Smith
07-05-2010, 9:32 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments!

Most excellent work on both pieces Baxter. Great detail work on the finial and pedestal. Love the color combination and the form on the body. Just great work.
Thanks Keith. It was one of your recent postings where you used different woods for the ring and finial that pushed me over the edge in wanting to try one.

Really like the form, and the pedestal/finial combination is fantastic - just can't say enough about it. Beautiful work.
Thanks John, Your turnings using complementary woods along with pedestals and finials have stuck in my mind. I wanted to try one as soon as I had some dry wood that I thought would go together. It was kind of fun to be able to fit two different pieces of wood together over several days.

Roland Martin
07-07-2010, 7:55 AM
I've been waiting to see if you'd use that great Maine apple for your entry, to my surprise, you used it on both:D.
I absolutely LOVE the butternut/apple combination! You've certainly outdone yourself on this HF, everything about it is gorgeous and extremely well-proportioned. It can't be classified as anything but "ART"

That barrell is really cool and turned with a stunning piece of apple for sure!

IMO, everybody benefits from this Art Challenge. All of the talented turners like yourself truly do help the not-so-talented turners like myself in every aspect of turning, and for this, I trully would like to thank you and all the great teachers in this forum (Priceless learning opportunities).