PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an old brace.

Paul Saffold
07-04-2010, 12:02 PM

I bought a 14" brace from that bay. I don't like going to the bay but area yard sales have been pretty dry for tools.

I feel like a real dolt. I can't figure out how to open and close the jaws. The narrow knurled ring turns freely and with a fair amount of slop. I don't know it's purpose. Also, I don't know what the 1/8" hole in the checkered metal portion is for.

The dogs, for controlling the turning direction, work fine. Before I try forcing something apart I want to check with those who have been so willing to share their vast knowledge.

Any help appreciated.

Jim Koepke
07-04-2010, 2:11 PM
Grab the large knurled barrel with it pointing down, with the ratchet disengaged, turning the handle counter clock wise should start the chuck to opening. If not, something is jamming it from turning.

Let us know either way so we can move on or at least stop holding our breath.

jim

Bruce Haugen
07-04-2010, 3:10 PM
That brace ratchets. Turn the knurled barrel on the horizontal arm until the dogs holding the chuck are flush on both sides. You should be able open the chuck then.

Paul Saffold
07-04-2010, 3:35 PM
Jim. No luck. With the dogs flipped so they are not engaged, the chuck turns freely but the jaws don't move. With both dogs flush the chuck does not turn. I had considered clamping the chuck in a wood vise and trying but didn't want to damage anything. That would be my next move unless you have other ideas.

Bruce. The dogs only move if I flip them individually.

Paul Saffold
07-04-2010, 5:09 PM
I clamped the brace in a vise an used a strap wrench (rubber type- not chain) and it popped open. I think either someone had really cranked it down, or more likely it had been sitting with a bit in the jaws for years. It was shipped to me with the bit in.
Next is to replace the missing ball bearings in the flat handle and clean it up.

Jim and Bruce, thanks for the help. Paul

Jonathan McCullough
07-04-2010, 6:33 PM
I found some good braces locally and man, what a revelation. As much torque as an electric hand drill, but enough finesse that you can turn a screw just five degrees. Soooo much more useful than an electric hand drill. I was putting in storm windows by myself just using hand tools. I could hold the window in place with one hand and drill the pilot holes for the screws with a Yankee push drill. After caulking I used my bit brace with a 50-cent Phillips head insert. No over screwing, no stripping the head, so simple, so easy.