PDA

View Full Version : Question about ordering Garmin GPS from Amazon

Louis Brandt
07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello,

I’m interested in getting a Garmin 1300, and when I check Amazon’s price, it shows both new and refurbished units. It appears that the current price for a “new” 1300 is $118, but I’ve never ordered anything from Amazon before, and I’m not sure of their pricing methods.

If I click on “new”, can I be sure of getting a new unit? Have any of you ever ordered anything from Amazon thinking that you were getting “new”, but received refurbished?

Thanks,
Louis

Joe Pelonio
07-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Unlike Craigslist and Ebay, Amazon responds to issues and can generally be trusted that new is new. That's one reason that the Creek has them as a sponsor. Be sure to buy via their advertising link, we receive a small percentage on items bought though it, and that helps with the cost of running the forums. Just click the "SHOP" link on top of the main page.

Scott T Smith
07-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Two thumbs up for Amazon; I've been buying from them for well over ten years and never been disappointed. Returns are easy too.

Paul Ryan
07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Amazon is excellent to use and purchase from. I buy almost exclusively from amazon when web shopping. Returns are easy, customer service is good, and their prices are usually pretty good. Sometimes it is worth paying alittle more to buy from a reputable company. Many times local stores are considerably higher than amazon. But dont be surprised if the price amazon is showing fluctuates day to day or week to week. They adjust prices on many items hourly depending on demand and competition. Good luck dont be afraid of amazon. They are a quality retalier.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2010, 1:15 PM
I have bought a lot of stuff through Amazon. They are stellar in perfomance.

David G Baker
07-04-2010, 1:15 PM
I purchase quite a few items from Amazon. I try to make sure that the items I purchase are from Amazon and not some other seller that sells under the Amazon umbrella. I also try to make sure that I get free shipping, this reduces the final cost by quite a bit on some purchases.
I have had very good luck with Amazon on every purchase I have made.

Louis Brandt
07-04-2010, 8:16 PM
Thanks to all. Since I read all of your posts, I did order a new GPS from Amazon.

Louis

Larry Frank
07-04-2010, 8:41 PM
Amazon is great and I buy many things there. In fact, they are too good and too easy to order from. We have Amazon Prime which allows free two day shipping on most things. It is just too eash to click and buy.

Rod Sheridan
07-05-2010, 8:38 AM
I purchased a refurbished Garmin GPS from a GPS vendor.

The refurbished part can mean anything from a person returned it unused, to the unit was defective and was repaired by the manufacturer.

In my case all the manuals, CD's etc were new and unopened, that was the way Garmin did it, repair the product and give you new accessories.

I eventually purchased a second used GPS, both have been just fine, and were about half price compared to a "new" unit.

Regards, Rod.