PDA

View Full Version : Lipped sphere

Jack Mincey
07-04-2010, 9:10 AM
This is a sphere I just finished out of another piece of the maple that has a 3-D effect in it's grain. It is 8" in dia. finished with deft and buffed. I had a little wood left at the top of this form so I flarred out a lip at the tip. It is different if nothing else.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2287.jpg

Greg Just
07-04-2010, 9:12 AM
That is beautiful - appears to be carved. nice job.

wes murphy
07-04-2010, 9:22 AM
beautiful piece. love the grain

Allen Neighbors
07-04-2010, 9:30 AM
Jack, it seems like a perfect job to me! Stunning grain in this piece... looks like some of the formations in Moab, Utah. What a beautiful piece!!
Is the bottom round?

Michael Short
07-04-2010, 9:44 AM
That is some beautiful figure. The layers have alot of depth and shape to them.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Beautiful piece and beautiful wood Jack.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Does something happen that causes the wood to grow with figure like that or is it a result of a fungus like spalting? That's a stunning piece. The sphere displays the grain beautifully.
fmr

Thom Sturgill
07-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Definitely an interesting grain pattern and well displayed.

I often feel that as a wood worker, it is important to display the inner beauty of the wood we work with. This may mean careful selection of wood for a form we wish to make, or careful design when we want to work with a specific piece of wood. This takes the 'craft' or 'artisanship', which I define in terms of the knowledge and skill set, to a higher level of 'art'. This is a well done 'art' piece and deserves a good display (like my mantle;)).

bob svoboda
07-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Very nice, Jack. To my eye it looks like a perfect sphere. Love the grain and the finish.

Paul Douglass
07-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Golly that is beautiful!

John Keeton
07-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Jack, you are a sherical master!!! Wonderful work, and a drop dead gorgeous piece of wood! Great finish, as always.

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 11:28 AM
That's great. I love the look of a sphere especially with such pretty wood. The spout is a nice touch as well.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-04-2010, 11:59 AM
This is a sphere I just finished out of another piece of the maple that has a 3-D effect in it's grain. It is 8" in dia. finished with deft and buffed. I had a little wood left at the top of this form so I flarred out a lip at the tip. It is different if nothing else.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2287.jpg

That form accentuates the wood's grain, very nicely done, and the flared out rim looks just right on it, a beautiful piece Jack :)

Jack Mincey
07-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks all, this wood is speacial. It is from a tree that the power company took down and cut up. A friend called me up and told me that I could have the big rounds that where left. Lucky for me they where up on a mound next to his drive so I was able to back the truck up and roll them into my truck using ramps. I would never have rolled them up the ramps if they hadn't been about the same height as the tailgate already. I had 8 rounds in my full size truck and the weight had the springs down to the bumpers on the axle. I still have a lot of this tree left to turn so I guess there will be some more spheres turned. I'm cutting up some of this wood to dry for boxes some time down the road.
Thanks again,
Jack

Dave Ogren
07-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Jack,

Once again you did it. Un-believeable, Great job, and that finish is again, as usual, awesome.

Keep up the great work,

Dave

Norm Zax
07-04-2010, 2:00 PM
Amazing wood and elegantly executed!

Paul Douglass
07-04-2010, 2:12 PM
May I ask without offending, do you have a jig to turn that nice of sphere or is that by sight and hand?

charlie knighton
07-04-2010, 2:14 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing Jack

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2010, 2:47 PM
Beautiful work Jack! Love the grain and the 3-D effect!

Roger Chandler
07-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Very nice form, and the grain on that wood just leaps off the surface and almost shouts for attention!

If you have more of the same kind of figured grained wood, then a set of complementing pieces would just be a wonderful thing to do!

Keith Burns
07-04-2010, 4:18 PM
Totally awesome piece Jack. The form is great and the wood looks like a shear mountian cliff. Great work.

Jack Mincey
07-04-2010, 5:05 PM
Thanks again everyone, Paul I turn the sphere by eye and do my finial adjustments by using a 2" PVC coupler. By holding one of the ends of the couple against the sphere I can tell where the wood needs to be removed. When you get the shape to a sphere the end of the PVC coupler will fit flush around the edge of the coupler. If it is not a sphere you will see light under the edge of the coupler and can figure out where to remove more wood. I use a large skew laid flat on the tool rest for this finial shaping. It cuts pretty well.
Thanks again,
Jack

Tom Sherman
07-04-2010, 10:13 PM
A very nice sphere Jack, and the wood is indescribable. Thanks for letting us see it.

James Combs
07-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Unbelieved grain patterns. Very nice Jack.

Dave Halter
07-04-2010, 11:21 PM
WOW! That about says it for me. The grain in that is amazing.

Dave

Neil Strong
07-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Gorgeous wood.

masterly execution.

Michelle Rich
07-05-2010, 6:27 AM
Stunning !!!!

John Hart
07-05-2010, 7:11 AM
Pretty great Jack!! I also love that grain. Perfect form for it. Leonardo would be proud of that sphere!;):)

Baxter Smith
07-05-2010, 7:38 AM
Great wood and the form is eyecatching!

Thomas Bennett
07-05-2010, 8:49 PM
Excellence in form, wood selection and finish. The grain really sucks you in. It kind of reminds me of a desert canyon. I got out some Deft today to finish some box elder in your honor!

brian watts
07-05-2010, 9:25 PM
Thanks all, this wood is speacial. It is from a tree that the power company took down and cut up. A friend called me up and told me that I could have the big rounds that where left. Lucky for me they where up on a mound next to his drive so I was able to back the truck up and roll them into my truck using ramps. I would never have rolled them up the ramps if they hadn't been about the same height as the tailgate already. I had 8 rounds in my full size truck and the weight had the springs down to the bumpers on the axle. I still have a lot of this tree left to turn so I guess there will be some more spheres turned. I'm cutting up some of this wood to dry for boxes some time down the road.
Thanks again,
Jack

very very nice.. would look good on a turkey call..:D

Bill Wilcox
07-05-2010, 9:53 PM
Excellence in form, wood selection and finish. The grain really sucks you in. It kind of reminds me of a desert canyon. I got out some Deft today to finish some box elder in your honor!

I get lost in the grain. Beautiful piece. thanks for sharing.
Bill Wilcox

Rob Cunningham
07-06-2010, 1:04 PM
Excellent form and very beautiful wood. When I saw the picture, I thought you carved the surface. Can't wait to see other turnings from this wood.

James Roberts
07-06-2010, 5:36 PM
That is one beautiful piece of wood, the grain pattern is awesome. Your spherical form and the finish really make the 3-D effect stand out.