PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on moving a Delta 14" bandsaw

Art Wagner
07-04-2010, 2:03 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm getting into here. I'm about to buy a 14" Delta bandsaw, probably about 20 years old. I think it has a homemade roller base, but is otherwise the usual 28-203 200# beauty.

How do you all move a bandsaw?

I have a Subaru Forester, and the seats will fold down to give me enough room. I also have access to a small, lightweight, open trailer to haul it, but would rather not drive this distance with a trailer if not necessary.

What do you recommend?

Is it better to carry it in pieces in all in one piece?

Thomas Hotchkin
07-04-2010, 2:27 AM
If you have some old carpet lay it down inside your Forrester, with table off should just fit. Removal of home made mobile base may also be needed. Hope you have some help loading it up. Tom

Bruce Wrenn
07-04-2010, 8:15 AM
First, remove the blade and table. Then remove the table trunnion supports. Remove the blade guide arm. Remove motor, if it's an open stand saw. For an enclosed stand saw, just remove the drive belt. Remove the four bolts that attach the saw to the stand. Lift the saw by the casting between the wheels. Rotate the saw to he horizontal position, and place flat on it's back in vehicle. Because the drive pulley will be protruding, I usually add an old tire, or the spare tire under the saw to help support it. Throw the the stand in back and haul boogie home. Main thing is to remove as much weight as possible from the actual saw.

Tom Rick
07-04-2010, 8:27 AM
A couple of points.

-Make sure to not try to grab the table when moving the BS. The table trunnions and supports are easy to break if you horse the saw around by grabbing the table. I usually pull tables off to move machines.

-Pull the motor. This will get a few pounds off the machine.

-Bring a dolly. It's easy to move these beasts around if strapped to a dolly. You can pick up a serviceable unit at Home Depot for ~50 bucks. (bring a set of light ratchet straps)

-Depending on the base, BS travel well when lain on their back- that is with the wheels vertical. Lain down this way it keeps the weight off the pulleys, wheels, knobs and other bits that can break or bend from the saws weight. If the base will not keep the saw upright, I will sometimes make up a quick gurney from 3/4" plywood for the saw. I just rip a 20" strip of plywood as high as the saw and strap the saw to it. This make the saw very easy to move with a dolly and the saw lays down with no chance of rolling.

-Strap/tie the saw down in the car. In the case of an accident you don't want the thing ending up in your lap or resting against the back of your head.

-Ask the seller if there are any accessorizes he might have forgotten about. It's handy to have a miter gauge or a few extra blades etc.

-Congrats. That's a nice saw. I've had mine for years and love it. I've moved it a few times and can manage by myself with a dolly.

george wilson
07-04-2010, 9:04 AM
MOST DEFINITELY remove the table. Those pot metal Delta trunnions are VERY easy to break. Follow the above advices.

glenn bradley
07-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I guess its been covered; pull the table and possibly the pulley depending on how it will lay. These are stout castings so anything that may end up supporting the weight, other than the body (like a trunnion) should be avoided through support of the casting. Good luck and have fun.

Darius Ferlas
07-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Art, I bought s similarly sized 14" General bandsaw and I brought it home about 70 miles in my Sebring. Of course I did disassemble it. The whole process took about 10 minutes. Just take a couple thick blankets to wrap the parts around for the transport.

Joe Wiliams
07-04-2010, 12:27 PM
It's amazing what can fit in a Forrester....

Just a couple weeks ago I transported a floor standing drill press, 2 mini refrigerators and 48" of wall cabinets. Along with a 6 gallon gas can (empty).

In one trip...

With the hatch closed.:D

mickey cassiba
07-04-2010, 4:14 PM
I brought my -276 home in an intrepid type plymouth...table and base in the trunk, saw in the back seat. Old couch cushions and blankets...and seatbelts!
bring a helper though.
Mick

Myk Rian
07-04-2010, 7:19 PM
I've moved 2 of them in my utility trailer. I lay them on their back, strap them down, and go.
You can also take the saw off the base. Only 4 bolts. Take the table off.

Art Wagner
07-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow, thanks so much for all the great advice! I had done several searches with no results and figured someone must have already figured this out. Yep!

I'm particularly grateful for the warnings about breaking the table and trunnions.

Dave MacArthur
07-05-2010, 4:35 AM
Look at my sig, "moving a saw".
I just moved a 20" bandsaw in the bed of my pickup. You can do that 14" in your Subaru! Lay it on it's spine. Take off the table. That's it. Nothing else required really besides strapping/wedging it stable.

Art Wagner
07-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I just want to report that thanks to all of your good advice, taking the bandsaw apart and carrying it home went well. I appreciate your help!