PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010-Jack Mincey

Jack Mincey
07-03-2010, 6:41 PM
About a month ago I was contacted by a fellow turners wife. They had to take down a tree that was very dear to her and her family from her childhood home. They where sending pieces of this tree all over the world to have projects made of it and pictures of the project sent back to them to make a scrape book of the projects made form her dear tree. It was a suger maple. The balls where turned green so they could dry without checking. I hope this is considered art.
Thanks Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2294.jpg
My utilitarian entry is a chip and dip platter. It is turned from ambrosia maple and finished with salid bowl finish.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2291.jpg

John Keeton
07-03-2010, 6:48 PM
Jack, certainly looks like art to me!! Beautiful work, and I love the icicles. What wood did you use for them?

The Ambrosia in your chip 'n dip platter is really striking.

Well done - all around!

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2010, 7:04 PM
Beautiful work Jack!

Your ornaments are definitely art! We have the one you gifted Colleen and I displayed on our mantel for all to see! I am sure the folks who sent you the wood will be very pleased with your ornaments!

Really like your chip/dip platter! You didn't mention the dimensions - but sure looks like it would be at home on any table!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Jack Mincey
07-03-2010, 7:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words. The chip and dip platter is 14" in dia. The ornaments are fiinished with deft and the icicles are turned from purple heart.
Thanks again,
Jack

David DeCristoforo
07-03-2010, 7:49 PM
Love the ornaments. Still have not gotten up the "moxie" to attempt such thin spindles, especially with them being that long! The platter makes me want to send someone out for snacks...

Baxter Smith
07-03-2010, 8:28 PM
Vey nice work! The ornaments are very striking in those colors along with a pleasing form. Beautiful wood in the platter and looks very functional!

charlie knighton
07-03-2010, 9:42 PM
very nice, i am partial to your ornaments

Thom Sturgill
07-03-2010, 9:44 PM
Both are very striking. I am going to John C Campbell Folk School next weekend for a short course on making ornaments. Maybe I'll learn to get my icicles that fine!

Tom Sherman
07-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Jack, I'ld say your ornaments definitely qualify as ART. Your icicles are beyond reproach the color combination of the Maple and the Purpleheart are a great choice. Your chip and dip platter is also top shelf, great wood and excellent work.

Paul Douglass
07-03-2010, 10:48 PM
ART in my opinion. WOW the ornaments are beautiful. And the platter is not slouch either. Nice work.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-03-2010, 10:55 PM
I'd think both pieces could be considered art, but yes the platter be more of a user piece, still it is special, nice work, especially the icicles :cool:

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Well done, Jack. The ornaments are beautiful... Great color combination, and as the others have mentioned, nice work on the finials.

I like the chip/dip platter as well. I hope you don't mind my intentions to shamelessly copy it for my own.:)

John Hart
07-04-2010, 7:49 AM
Nicely done on both projects Jack. The ornaments are my favorite of the two...but they are both great.

Tell me...are you sending an ornament to the donor tree lady...or just pictures for the scrapbook?

Jack Mincey
07-04-2010, 8:44 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. John, I'm sending both ornaments back to the sender for them to enjoy for years to come. They also sent a larger piece of wood that I was able to turn a med. sized HF from that I will keep. It has been a great honor to be included in this special tree project. I think that they sent wood to around 90 turners around the world. The sender was John Jordan's wife Vicki.
Thanks again,
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Really nice pieces Jack. The ornaments are beautiful. I like the Platter.

Curt Fuller
07-04-2010, 10:16 AM
The ornaments are beautiful! And made even better by the wood with a story behind it. And the bowl is a beauty also. Very nice!

Scott Hackler
07-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Great looking ornaments. Do you hollow out the balls? I REALLY like the shape. (hmm, that reminds me. I only have 6 months to get a bunch of ornaments made!) :)

Jack Mincey
07-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks again, Scott I hollow them out as thin as possible. I use a homemade hollowing tool that I made from an allen wrench. I turn them thin enough to see light through the sides of the ball. It helps to keep their weight down for hanging on a tree. I hardly ever turn through the side of a HF, but do turn through the side of 1 of every 5 I turn of the balls for ornaments. It doesn't take but about 30 minutes to turn the ball so it isn't a big lose when I do, but makes for a better end result when done if I take the risk to get it super thin. Here is a picture of the homemade tool that I use. It works well.
Thanks again,
Jack
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/100_1242.JPG

David E Keller
07-04-2010, 1:41 PM
That's a cool looking tool. I've never thought to use an antler for a handle but the shape is perfect.

David DeCristoforo
07-04-2010, 2:15 PM
Oh well... that explains it. Now I don't feel so bad. If I had realized you were using such expensive "high tech" equipment to produce these ornaments, I would not have been nearly so impressed...

Keith Burns
07-04-2010, 4:28 PM
Excellent ornaments Jack. They are well balanced and the finials are well proportioned. Yes I would consider the art as well. Very nice platter too.