PDA

View Full Version : Shopfox W1729 motor swap

Jonathan Spool
07-03-2010, 3:38 PM
I want to switch out the 2hp motor on my 19" W1729 bandsaw with a 5 hp.
Has anyone done this, and can tell me what 5hp motor will fit? Shopfox techs were not helpful at all.

eugene thomas
07-03-2010, 5:25 PM
shop foxx was good to replace the motor on my w1809 dust collector, only problem is only had since last september. new motor not sounding good eather. pulls in the wood chips just not sure how long will last.

Chip Lindley
07-04-2010, 1:59 AM
Your BS uses a "C-face" motor. Any 5hp motor with the same 4-hole mounting pattern will fit. But 5hp motors are much heavier and longer than your 2hp motor, and the mounting plate of your BS may not support the extra weight.

Another issue is motor shaft diameter. 5hp motors usually have a 1-1/8" shaft diameter, which will not allow you using your motor pulley, which is probably 7/8" dia.

And, you will need to change your 2hp motor starter for a heavier starter rated for the amperage of 5hp.

I would think a 3hp motor should provide all the "butt" you need. Many 3hp motors are same dimensions as 2hp, only a bit longer. Same hole spacing, same shaft diameter, but proportionally higher amperage. Are you sure you need 5hp?

Jonathan Spool
07-04-2010, 3:17 PM
Thanks Chip,
No, I'm not sure I actually require 5hp. I just know that 2hp has not been sufficient, and the big name machines are using 4-6hp so I figured I would just up the hp to 5hp. You make some good observations as to complications I will face with 5hp, so if I can find a 3hp motor that will install with little complication, it might be a good compromise.