PDA

View Full Version : Recent Visit yielded some Treenware and Blackware

Jim Underwood
07-03-2010, 2:31 PM
A recent visit to family yeilded some treenware (and a few goofy photos) as well as some blackware.....

I turned this treenware for the women in the family, on my Dad's old ShopSmith. The tailstock on this thing is stationary, and you pivot the ways and the head down to convert to a lathe. Then you move the head with the drill press handles to get a piece between centers, then lock her down. The dead center in the tailstock needs constant attention to keep from burning... (You can just see the headstock and tailstock centers in the goofy pic). I turned these spoon/spatula thingies from Ash, and cut the "bowl" on the bandsaw, and sanded with an orbital sander. In addition, the tools were all cheapies like you get from HF or Sears...

It's a treat to be back on my Jet 1642 (with a live center), a real set of gouges, and my edgesander, let me tell ya...

And last but not least, you can see my brother and I getting goofy for the camera...

Anyways a good time was had by all, and the women were appreciative of handmade utensils...

Jim Underwood
07-03-2010, 2:32 PM
And yeah, I know, this ain't a blacksmith forum, but I spent three precious mornings with my Dad at the forge...

One of my biggest regrets is not getting photos of us working at the forge.

I learned how to upset, split, and draw out, and the resulting fork looks pretty good even if I do say so myself...

The attempt at forge welding, not so much... That ring should be stuck together, but it didn't hold for even a split second when I started trying to shape it...

And then you see the work area, well laid out with all necessary tools at hand.

Scott Lux
07-03-2010, 2:36 PM
Since there are no forge pictures, it must not have happened.

Jim Underwood
07-03-2010, 2:37 PM
Ha!...:D

Beat ya to it....

David DeCristoforo
07-03-2010, 3:06 PM
I can see how the ring could be used in chaining one's self to the lathe. But I'm still trying to figure out how you would use that fork thing. Maybe a "dual prong" parting tool?

David E Keller
07-03-2010, 4:04 PM
Looks like a great trip and an abundance of quality time... Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2010, 6:52 PM
Great looking pic's Jim and sounds like you had a good time.

John Keeton
07-03-2010, 8:33 PM
Jim, looks like a bunch of fun, great times with Dad and family, and some handmade wares, to boot!!

BTW, so is the good lookin' guy you or your brother??:D

Jim Underwood
07-03-2010, 9:10 PM
BTW, so is the good lookin' guy you or your brother??:D

Man, what you tawkin' about? All us Underwoods are good lookin'!:D;)

You just never know how you really look until you see a picture of yourself. The jet lag looks like it's hit me pretty hard.... It's a four hour time difference from here to there, so I kept waking up at 3:30-4:00 AM....

Hey, you know what you use that fork thing for? Keeping other woodturners away from your lathe... Wouldn't wanna share time on it...;)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Doesn't surprise me for a second Jim that you couldn't weld the ring, My Dad who was from the old school and made lots of chains doing the welding like that, said the new iron wasn't like it used to be and you had to be so quick to get it together, he could still do it, but he said with the old iron you could pick up the hammer off of the floor and still weld it, not so with the new iron, you had to be very quick.
I just gave up on that, electric welding was my choice :-))

John Hart
07-04-2010, 7:36 AM
I'm so impressed with this thread. The goofy brother picture is nice...but the "...but I spent three precious mornings with my Dad at the forge" comment was priceless.

It reminded me that life is short. Thanks. :)

Jim Underwood
07-04-2010, 9:39 AM
Thanks John.
Yep. That point is brought home to me quite forcibly because I moved so far away from my folks more than 25 years ago. I had not seen them in five years.

Dad ain't getting any younger, and he had a stroke two weeks ago....:(

It's really expensive to fly back there, but it was way past time for me to ante up and go visit...:o

John Hart
07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I live in Ohio and my parents live in Texas. I haven't been there in over 5 years and they haven't been here in 3 years. But two weeks ago, they decided to take a road trip to New York and stopped by for a couple days. My Dad and I played a round of golf and spent most of the rest of the time talking about genetics and physics and the mysteries of the universe. (subjects that we both enjoy)

I wouldn't trade those few hours for anything.:)

Thom Sturgill
07-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I have to agree with John Hart. Like you, I moved quite a ways from the family and only get back once a year, and missed many years when I did not have the funds. Dad passed away seven years ago, and I treasure the time we had together in his shop.

Allen Neighbors
07-04-2010, 8:38 PM
When I saw the title of this post, I thought, "What the heck is blackware?". Now I know.
Well done, all the way around. Next time, you'll make the grade on the forge welding, too, I'd bet! :D