PDA

View Full Version : Timed Out

Orlando Gonzalez
07-03-2010, 1:54 PM
What are the forum parameters for timing one out. Many times I am responding to a PM and when I hit the "Submit" button it takes me to the log in screen.

Can this be changed?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2010, 4:21 PM
Orlando,

I don't know that I've ever experienced that.

Could it be your ISP? Internet Source Provider?

I use cable and with my corporate computer I use a VPN. Often after couple hours with no traffic on the VPN, my local ISP kicks the VPN off the network.

Orlando Gonzalez
07-03-2010, 7:59 PM
Ken,

If I am not consitently navigating through the site it times me out. Lets say that I go to the back for something and come back and then try a new thread or SMC forum I have to log in again. This does not happen with other forums I belong to.

Curt Harms
07-04-2010, 9:44 AM
but I have no answer, sorry. The same thing happens if I have a page of new posts open and get called away. It seems like after about 40 minutes of inactivity I can click on a topic, read it, then click the 'back' button and get a message to the effect of "no topic found". The search results seem to be forgotten after a certain period of time. I've not had any problems with PMs.

Harry Robinette
07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Why do I constantly have to login ?
Everytime I change anything or go anywhere I 'm having to log in again
non of the other forums does this.so it's not my isp.:confused:

Dan Hintz
07-23-2010, 6:56 AM
This is a cache/cookie issue, not ISP. Clear your cache, and make sure you're able to accept cookies... if you have security turned up, make sure you can accept cookies from this specific site.

Keith Outten
07-23-2010, 8:21 AM
30 minutes of inactivity and vBulletin will log you out.

Imagine that literally hundreds or thousands of people are connected to a server, each consumes processer access so there has to be a limit set to prevent the server from crashing. In addition to vBulletin's setting we have a limit on the processes our server will host based on the amount of ram and processor speed of the server.

Its a little more complex that I can explain but its the best I can do based on my level of expertise.

Note that over the past few weeks we are having power problems here in the Southeast. I have noticed that our battery backup is frequently jumping in to help provide power for our network, not from a power loss but from power drops. The temperatures here are stressing the power grid to the max and it isn't going to improve for several more weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eastern Virginia start experiencing power brown outs. We haven't built a new power plant in 25 years here, however we have plans for two units to be built but it will be many years before they go online.

Dan Hintz
07-23-2010, 9:08 AM
Oh, I'll also add... make sure you've checked the "save my password" box (and all associated checkboxes) so you auto-login whenever you come here. From that regard, I never appear to log out.