PDA

View Full Version : First time attaching mouldings

David Cefai
07-03-2010, 1:05 PM
I am finishing installing a set of built-in wardrobes which sit on plinths. Consequently this is the first time I am attaching mouldings to bases. These will cover the plinths and overlap the base of the cabinets.

As far as I can tell the standard way to do this is to use a nail gun and brad nails, which means shopping for a nail gun.

The only compressor I have is a diaphragm type without an air resevoir.

My questions are:
1. Am I right about the need for a nail gun?
2. Can my type of compressor be used with a nail gun. I assume that it would have a bleed to bleed off air while the compressor is running.
3. Would an electric nail gun be suitable for an occasional user like me? This would save me buying a compressor. (and finding a place to keep it).

I've googled but have not found any really helpful writing on this subject.

keith micinski
07-03-2010, 1:14 PM
Are you sure you don't have any tank at all? I don't think I have ever seen an air compressor without any type of reservoir. If not then you might have problems using an air nailer with your compressor but I am not sure about that. You could use an electric nailer like a Paslode but those are usually pretty salty and require other maintenance items. If you look at tooliday.com they always have really good deals on air compressor and nailer kits. They had a really good deal yesterday as a matter of fact. This would be the best way to go I think. This way you have the flexibility in the future of using other tools. I bet tomorrow or the next day they will have a Bostich kit that would be perfect for you.

Nancy Laird
07-03-2010, 1:23 PM
David, it is easier to attach the mouldings with a nail gun, but it isn't absolutely vital to the process. If you are comfortable with your use of a small hammer, you can use tiny finishing nails to attach, then countersink and fill (make sure you can position them in the crevass in the moulding so they won't show badly). Doing it by hand is, of course, time-consuming, but it can be done easily. A small pancake-type portable compressor would be a good investment for you, along with a small nail gun. You'll be surprised how many other uses you will find for it.

Porter-Cable and DeWalt are both offering combo kits of compressor and, with PC, a choice of one kit (of three) with one, two, or three tools, a 6-gallon compressor, and hose. The DeWalt is only a 1-gallon compressor. The DeWalt is being pushed as "ideal for trim carpentry." You can't go wrong.

Chip Lindley
07-03-2010, 1:32 PM
Air tools are great for attaching mouldings. The 23 gauge pinners used to hold parts in place until glue dries, are really nice and pins almost undetectible. An 18 gauge brad nailer makes a larger entry hole but can be puttied and disquised easily. The brad nailer is probably your better choice, as it is more versatile for more uses.

Doubtful your compressor is up to the job, since it runs constantly at max output. Minimum of 75 PSI is usually recommended for these nailers. Only trying it would tell for sure.

In my experience, electric nailers are very "iffy" in anything except thin plywood. I would not trust them to do what you need to do. Others may have had better results than me.

Joe Scharle
07-03-2010, 5:59 PM
You could consider blind nailing too.