PDA

View Full Version : Saw Sharpening

Steven Green
07-03-2010, 5:25 AM
Does anybody have the name of a good handsaw sharpening service in the Midwest? I'm learning how to do it myself but I'm not interested in learning on my daily user tenon saw. I live in southern Illinois.
Thanks

Robert Rozaieski
07-03-2010, 8:58 AM
I don't know of one you could drive to, but there are several options if you want to send it out. Bad Axe Tool Works is one. You can find them from a Google search. Daryl Weir is another. I'm not sure if he participates here but he's a regular on Woodnet.

I will advise you to be cautious of services that specialize in sharpening table saw blades and router bits though. Many of these places are clueless when it comes to sharpening hand saws and may do more harm than good. I just had to fix a saw for someone that took it to one of these services and the teeth were all but ground off. It looks like they used some kind of grinder. Needless to say it wasn't worth the steel it was made of when he got it back. I had to basically file in all new teeth. So wherever you take/send it, make sure they specialize in sharpening hand saws or you may not like what you get back.

mike holden
07-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Steven,
Dont be afraid of sharpening your own saws. At the very worst, you will need to reteeth it, but, really not likely unless,you are an animal with the file. Rip teeth are easy, and simple, put the saw in a sawvise, put the file in the teeth and take 3 easy strokes across, go to the next tooth and repeat, repeat till done. Grab a piece of scrap and saw, grin, and look for another saw to sharpen.
Mike

Joe McMahon
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I use http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=36093&what=search&Forum=&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&where=bodysub&Name=36093&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev= Daryl Weir from Knoxville, IL. He does excellent work.
(http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=36093&what=search&Forum=&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&where=bodysub&Name=36093&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=)