PDA

View Full Version : Whetting Saw Teeth

Christian Castillo
07-03-2010, 2:48 AM
Hi, I've decided to teach myself how to sharpen saws and want to know what type of stone is recommending for whetting the teeth? Thanks for reading this.

Stephen Shepherd
07-03-2010, 7:43 AM
I use a fine file, laying it flat on the teeth at the heel of the saw blade and run it with uniform pressure to the toe of the blade. First one side then the other. I then test the saw to make sure it is tracking properly. If it goes to one side then I whet that side again.

Stephen

Robert Rozaieski
07-03-2010, 8:47 AM
I use a hard Arkansas slip.

Jim Koepke
07-03-2010, 11:55 AM
My advice would be to spend some time reading some of the postings in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs thread.

In Section 3 (Tool usage and maintenance/tuning) there is a post by Bob Smalser with a link to Vintagesaws.com. The link may have changed due to the site being updated, but it is still vintagesaws so it should not be too hard to find.

Norsewoodsmith.com is also a good source of saw making and sharpening information.

My method of saw sharpening it to use the properly sized file. as the other replies have mentioned, if the saw is not tracking straight, then a stone is used one pass at a time on the side of the teeth on the way the saw is pulling. In other words, if the saw tracks to the right, the right side of the saw gets a light pass with the stone. I use an India stone or an Arkansas. It does not much mater. A water stone would likely be messed up by this kind of use.

jim

Stanley Covington
07-04-2010, 8:59 PM
My advice would be to spend some time reading some of the postings in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs thread.

In Section 3 (Tool usage and maintenance/tuning) there is a post by Bob Smalser with a link to Vintagesaws.com. The link may have changed due to the site being updated, but it is still vintagesaws so it should not be too hard to find.

Norsewoodsmith.com is also a good source of saw making and sharpening information.

My method of saw sharpening it to use the properly sized file. as the other replies have mentioned, if the saw is not tracking straight, then a stone is used one pass at a time on the side of the teeth on the way the saw is pulling. In other words, if the saw tracks to the right, the right side of the saw gets a light pass with the stone. I use an India stone or an Arkansas. It does not much mater. A water stone would likely be messed up by this kind of use.

jim

Good advice.

Christian Castillo
07-05-2010, 5:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've decided to settle on a hard Arkansas stone.