PDA

View Full Version : Shellacing the inside of drawers

Mike Tempel
12-02-2004, 11:50 AM
How many coats of shellac are typically applied to the inside of a drawer? I have one coat inside the drawers and have sanded with 320 grit and plan on at least one more coat but I thought I would ask how many you typically put on. The outside of the drawer is poly but I didn't want the smell of the poly inside the drawer therefore the shelllac. Thanks in advance - Mike.

Ted Shrader
12-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Mike -

I put shellac on the inside of drawers for exactly the reason you stated. Generally two coats is enough. The first soaks in a bit and seals the wood. The second gives enough build you can tell it is there. If the drawer will be holding hard items (cooking tools, scissors, etc) rather than soft items (clothes, tablecoths, etc), more coats would be appropriate for durability.

Regards,
Ted

Mike Tempel
12-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks Ted, that is exactly what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. It will be on dresser drawers and don't expect too much wear and tear on the inside of the drawers. Thanks again.

Alan Turner
12-02-2004, 1:24 PM
I hope you don't run into a smell issue with the poly on the outside of the drawers. I use shellac, usually 2 coats, on all parts of the drawer except the outside front. If you intoduce a varnish product into the case or carcase, the smell will likely affect the drawer contents as well, if I understand what you were saying.
Alan