PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of an up grade, suggestions.....

Donny Lawson
07-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I know I bought my Delta 46-460 back last fall and it's not even broke in yet but I'm "Just Thinking" of moving up to a larger machine.Am I crazy for thinking like this?I would like to be able to turn a 16-18" bowl but I just cannot do that with this machine.I wish I could because it's a great lathe.Any suggestions? It would have to run on a 110 outlet.I may keep the Delta for pens and other small turnings.
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Donny I was in the same boat. I kept my Rikon and bought the Nova DVR because of space. I did turn on the Jet 1642 115V unit and it is a sweet machine but at the time just a little big for my shop or I would have had it. I don't have 220V in my shop and would cost me big time to do that. So I would definitely give it a long look or the Nova which is a little pricer.

Mike Spanbauer
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
110v... 1642 1.5hp. That's probably your best option and it has one heck of a following.

However, 16-18" bowls are not practical for 90% of the turnings. I'd suggest finding a local turner and seeing if you can spin one first. Sometimes, it's just one of those - have to try it once kind of things.

Most turn 12-14" bowls and find those are the largest that sell and are usable.

I DO recognize the lure and lust - it'll never go away and you may find pure bliss when you use anothers lathe... then the slope will only accelerate :)

mike

Paul Douglass
07-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Powermatic 3520B on sale this weekend $2974.99 Jet 1642 $1869.99

wes murphy
07-02-2010, 11:23 PM
My money is on the DVR. I have one and I love it!

Jim Sebring
07-03-2010, 12:26 AM
When I started turning about 4 years ago I bought a then-new Jet 1220. At the same woodworking show I saw a Nova DVR in the Craft Supply booth and wondered why anyone would want such a wierd 'turning head' machine. Now I know why.

I bought my DVR xp about 1 1/2 years ago on a Woodcraft sale and haven't looked back. Right now it has a 15 inch piece of Monkey Puzzle on it awaiting a decision on what the outcome should look like. The variable speed (100-3500 rpm), reversible rotation and swivel head make turning a breeze. The machine is shipped as a 110V setup but I changed mine to 220V within a week to pick up the extra 1/4 hp - 2 hp total.

If I were to upgrade from the DVR (Iffn I hit the big Lotto) I'd prolly go for a fully tricked out Robust American Beauty!

Michelle Rich
07-03-2010, 6:59 AM
Hi Donny..I have the Jet 1642 and it is a fine piece of machinery..but I wonder why you desire to make such large bowls. They don't fit on a standard dining table...take up waaayyy too much space...Have you gone to craft shows? How many 18 inch bowls have you seen and seen sold? Having good machinery is lovely to have, but years ago the 12"x36" lathe was the standard for home shops..we keep demanding bigger & bigger lathes, but I really have not seen evidence that we need to make such huge projects. Have fun deciding, and if you get a new lathe, have a ball with it.

John Keeton
07-03-2010, 7:03 AM
I know I bought my Delta 46-460 back last fall and it's not even broke in yet but I'm "Just Thinking" of moving up to a larger machine.Am I crazy for thinking like this? DonnyDonny, that is like going into an insane asylum and asking the patients - do I seem OK to you guys?!?!:eek: Just what kind of response do you expect from this bunch of addicts!!??:D:D

I know nothing of the various 110 machines that may be available, but if you are serious on moving up, it may be worth at least getting some idea of the cost of running 220v. There will surely be other needs in the future where it would be useful, and now might be the time to do it.

The PM from ToolNut is hard to pass up were one looking.

Andrew Kertesz
07-03-2010, 7:37 AM
Amazon has the Jet 1642 1.5 HP at $1899.00; use their card and no interest if paid in 24 months and FREE shipping...

Don Geiger
07-03-2010, 7:52 AM
Take a look at www.turnrobust.com (http://www.turnrobust.com). All their lathes are very high quality. They offer a mid-priced 16" model that runs on 110 VAC.

Robust lathes are built in the USA (WI). Buy a Robust and you are investing in the highest quality product available and in your nation.

You'll never need to upgrade again!

Don

Derek Voigt
07-03-2010, 9:07 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm in the same boat that you are, I don't have a 220 (right now) either. That DVR sure looks nice for us 110v guys, and i like the Grizzy G0698 (18" swing) if I'm going to upgrade to a 220v.

Cathy Schaewe
07-03-2010, 9:22 AM
Amazon has the Jet 1642 1.5 HP at $1899.00; use their card and no interest if paid in 24 months and FREE shipping...

Oddly enough, two weeks ago, the price on the Jet 1642 1.5 hp dropped, first to $17-something, then to $1606 (or 1609, or something like that). I was just about ready to pull the trigger, and it went back up to $1899. I don't know what the deal was, but I'm going to keep watching. I was starting to wonder if they were going to discontinue the model - was going to post a thread here, and then the price went back up.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-03-2010, 9:22 AM
Don't the lack of a 220 volt receptacle in your shop stop you from buying the tool you want. You're house is already wired for 220V. Your electric cloths dryer or stove run on it (unless of course you are all gas utilities). Even then the 220 is in your panel. It's a pretty simple fix.
I don't know if I am allowed to say where I bought my lathe but the 3520B was $2696.00 including shipping. The sale ends this weekend. That sale also includes Jet. If you want to buy at the lowest price you will probably see for quite a while, do it now.
Go back and look at the posts in "Deals & Discounts". The post about this sale was a week ago. The store is in NY near White Plains.
fmr

Alan Zenreich
07-03-2010, 9:31 AM
My bride and I turn on a Nova DVR XP and a Delta 46-460

A formidiable (and compact) combination.

Of course, I do lust after a Oneway or a Robust from time to time... but that would involve major reengineering of my small basement shop.

Harvey Ghesser
07-03-2010, 11:03 AM
My bride and I turn on a Nova DVR XP and a Delta 46-460

A formidiable (and compact) combination.

Of course, I do lust after a Oneway or a Robust from time to time... but that would involve major reengineering of my small basement shop.

Alan, if you lust after a Oneway or a Robust and have a small basement shop, may I suggest you look at a Stubby, which has a smaller footprint than a Oneway or a Robust.:D

Roger Chandler
07-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm in the same boat that you are, I don't have a 220 (right now) either. That DVR sure looks nice for us 110v guys, and i like the Grizzy G0698 (18" swing) if I'm going to upgrade to a 220v.

Derek,

I'm with you on the Grizzly G0698 18x47.... there is probably not a better value in a full sized lathe with the features of the G0698. Mine has performed at a very high level, which matches up to many higher priced lathes. I ran 220 in my shop for just the cost of the outlet and wire.... not hard to do, but one has to know what he is doing!

William Hutchinson
07-03-2010, 2:31 PM
I know I bought my Delta 46-460 back last fall and it's not even broke in yet but I'm "Just Thinking" of moving up to a larger machine.Am I crazy for thinking like this?I would like to be able to turn a 16-18" bowl but I just cannot do that with this machine.I wish I could because it's a great lathe.Any suggestions? It would have to run on a 110 outlet.I may keep the Delta for pens and other small turnings.
Donny

Donny for the sake of everything you hold dear, leave this forum, delete any bookmarks and all file traces. Just asking this question demonstrates you still possess a shred of cognitive capacity. However, your rationality is questionable when enlisting these enablers for guidance. In doing so, and trust me on this one, a bigger lathe is in your immediate future along with an array of accessories. They'll suck you into a bottomless pile of shavings quicker that a 5-horse Dust Gorilla.