PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Steve Schlumpf

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2010, 10:04 PM
For my art entry I created a piece that I named 'Relic'. I am not sure but I think there is a law that says all art pieces have to be named. This is my vision of a restored piece of very old southwestern pottery.

154888 154889 154890

Relic was turned out of Maple and is 8" diameter x 5" high x 1/8" thick. The piece was dyed multiple times and has a spray on clear Mat finish that was left intentionally rough to the touch.

For my utilitarian entry - I give you Cherry spoons. I know they are utilitarian because they are going to straight to our kitchen!

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Both are great Steve. The HF is a beauty. Really nice form and finish. I really like it.

David DeCristoforo
07-02-2010, 10:21 PM
That's a great looking pot. But I don't know... those spoons look awfully useful...

Roger Chandler
07-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Steve,

Really nice form on your art piece, and the light and dark contrast reminds me of a sunset over the ocean where you get the reflection off the water. Was the hole a defect in the wood, or did you cut that portion away to bring out your theme of a relic to be repaired? I like the whole concept and your spoons are very nicely made. Were they turned entirely?

alex carey
07-02-2010, 10:57 PM
my gosh, Steve the color on that vase is just soooo pretty. The spoons also came out really well. Are they purely lathe made or you use some other tools. I'd like to try some but all I have is a lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I appreciate it!

The hole in the hollow form is natural and is what gave me the idea of turning an old piece of pottery.

The spoons were turned on the lathe - totally. The spoon portion was hollowed out by using a Jacobs chuck in the headstock to hold a 2" sanding pad. Worked a heck of a lot better than carving!

Scott Hackler
07-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Really nice work on the HF, Steve. I love the super warm glow.

Neil Strong
07-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Reckon you have got your 'Relic' form just right, Steve.

As a potter I spent some time looking at SW pottery when I visited my SIL in Arizona where I saw more than a few shard pieces that your 'Relic' captures.

And, wouldn't mind having a few of those spoons in my kitchen...:)

David E Keller
07-03-2010, 12:52 AM
I've been looking forward to your submission for the challenge. I love the 'relic'. The coloring is great, and I'd love to know more about the process if you're willing to share. I like that you left the finish with a bit of texture. I imagine that it feels really nice when being held.

The spoons look great, too. They're definitely utilitarian.

Curt Fuller
07-03-2010, 1:14 AM
As the president of the "Real Turners Don't Dye Wood" movement, I have to say that you've swayed me from my resolve with this one. I love the richness of the color you've achieved while still keeping it looking like it's wood. And the form is beautiful!

The spoons are fantastic. I wonder if you might share your technique for spooning out the spoon part. They look great and short of a lot of tedious hand carving I've always wondered how a real spoonmaker does it.

Mike McAfee
07-03-2010, 1:39 AM
I am diggin the "Relic" Steve, IMO that IS an Art piece! I love utilizing flaws in the wood!

The spoons look very well done and I would surely use em in my kitchen!

Great stuff all round!

MMc

Frank Van Atta
07-03-2010, 1:46 AM
I really like the SW form and the great color you put on it . . . BUT . . . you said, "This is my vision of a restored piece of very old southwestern pottery" and I would think "restoration" would include replacing the missing shard. :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-03-2010, 1:51 AM
Love the finish on that beautiful "Relic" Steve, and yes the HF to, but that finish is absolutely gorgeous on it :cool: :D
Yes nice spoons also just look like the ones in the kitchen ;)

charlie knighton
07-03-2010, 2:08 AM
both pieces are very nice, but
very old southwestern potterysort of threw me, if you had said very old southwestern turning i would be happier :D

Dick Rowe
07-03-2010, 5:37 AM
Fantastic art piece. The patina just screams ... "Pick me up and look closer!!"

Nice spoons too. At my current skill level they look like art pieces also :D

Tony De Masi
07-03-2010, 6:02 AM
Real nice pieces Steve. I knew we would be seeing a HF entry from you but just wasn't sure which way you would be going with it.

Really like the form on this one and the spoons are well.. utilitarian for sure.

Tony

Fred Perreault
07-03-2010, 6:32 AM
Steve, the hollow form almost shouts what it is all about...... it seems to almost talk to the viewer.

Steve Trauthwein
07-03-2010, 6:37 AM
Steve,

Really nice piece. I especially lilke the two tone effect of the dye job. Good luck with the art show.

Regards, Steve

John Keeton
07-03-2010, 6:40 AM
Steve, the mat finish, coupled with the dye work, really works on this piece. The wood is perfect for the form. "Chiminea" comes to mind when I look at the piece - makes me want to light up a fire on a cool night (not many of those around these days!!)

But, I can see the "missing shard" concept, as well.

Either way, you definitely captured the essence of a relic of southwestern pottery.

Excellent work on the spoons, and at least you got to retain possession long enough for a pic!

John Hart
07-03-2010, 9:53 AM
Awesome job Steve...on both entries. The vessel is just gorgeous...form, finish, dye...everything. The spoons are great. You're reminding me that I need to get mine done.:)

Tom Sherman
07-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Top notch stuff here Steve, but then your work always is. I really like the HF and the spoons are great too.

Bill Wilcox
07-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Very nice Steve. It reminds me of when I was in the Arizona/ New Mexico area and seeing the Native sites. The HF really sets off those memories. I really like the orange peel texture of the finish. The color reminds me of the type of clay that was used to make their pottery.
If you could share with us the color of dye you used.
Great works Steve.

Prashun Patel
07-03-2010, 1:10 PM
Really beautiful. The design just speaks for itself. I love it.

Baxter Smith
07-03-2010, 8:46 PM
The more I look at it the more I like it. Has a warm warm and well used feel to it. Spoons look great as well.

Harvey Ghesser
07-03-2010, 9:18 PM
As always....really beautiful work...especially on the HF!

Love the finish on "Relic".:)

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
The form was first dyed black using RIT clothing dye mixed with denatured alcohol (DNA). Using a 1" foam brush I saturated the form and then let it dry for a day. Next day I repeated the process - making it really really black!

The form was sanded back to leave the black in the endgrain and expose some natural wood for the next color. Next color - Red Transtint dye mixed with DNA - again saturate the form and let dry. Sanded back after it was dry and then applied Yellow Transtint.

After drying, sanded everything back - again. Applied a dye mix of 1 part red, 5 yellow and 1 green (gives a terra cota color) and again let the form dry.

This time I did not sand the form because I wanted the raised grain to provide texture both in look and feel. The form was then sprayed several times with a clear mat poly to seal the wood. It was not sanded back because I wanted the rough feel and aged look.

Once again - I sure appreciate all your kind words! Thanks!

Michael James
07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
The form on relic is very much a standard shape in our pottery out here. I too love the colors, but for the finish I think Ill go for a more rubbed, burnished look, when I get there, but I think I get the "pottery texture / feel" on yours. All in all a very interesting mix and would show well out here in the SW!

Roland Martin
07-07-2010, 7:24 AM
Being born & raised in the Northeast, I won't pretend to be very well versed in S.W. pottery, but I do think the form & finish are very well balanced. The varying degrees of shades on the form are very well done.
The cherry spoons are both very attractive and certainly utilitarian.

Thanks for joining in and posting!

I do really need to get going on my entry. (Have had a series of learning curves lately, damn rookie:eek:)

Gary Conklin
07-10-2010, 10:27 PM
The spoons are fantastic. I wonder if you might share your technique for spooning out the spoon part. They look great and short of a lot of tedious hand carving I've always wondered how a real spoonmaker does it.

Bump on this request.

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Gary,

I tried to answer that on post #11 - "The spoons were turned on the lathe - totally. The spoon portion was hollowed out by using a Jacobs chuck in the headstock to hold a 2" sanding pad. Worked a heck of a lot better than carving!"

Only additional info is that I started with 120 grit and worked my way up to 280 grit. Just kept the spoon moving until I got the hollowed out shape I wanted. Was just an experiment on my part but sure worked out!

Curt Fuller
07-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Gary,

I tried to answer that on post #11 - "The spoons were turned on the lathe - totally. The spoon portion was hollowed out by using a Jacobs chuck in the headstock to hold a 2" sanding pad. Worked a heck of a lot better than carving!"

Only additional info is that I started with 120 grit and worked my way up to 280 grit. Just kept the spoon moving until I got the hollowed out shape I wanted. Was just an experiment on my part but sure worked out!

I must have missed that too. But that sounds like an excellent idea. I'm going to have to give it a try.