PDA

View Full Version : Stained Cherry Vase

John Hart
07-02-2010, 7:50 PM
Well...In the process of building my library, I created a stain that was unique for the project. Basically combining the differents tones from 4 different stains, I created one that has the dark richness of english chestnut...the tans of cherry and pecan, and the redness of red mahogany. Also...while staining, I varied the depth of the stain so that the corners and edges were darker than the center of any flat area.

We were pretty happy with how it turned out, so I decided to make a matching vase. This is it. 8 inches high and almost 4 inches diameter. Stained, then finished with 3 coats of lacquer. I'm going to watch this finish for a few days, and may add a few more coats...then buff. Picture taken with the backdrop of 200 year old dirty books. (because I'm too lazy to clean up):)
I hate the foot. Actually, it is an error....but I couldn't go backwards. I'm half tempted to just remove it....but then again, tempted to let it irritate me for the rest of my life and teach myself a lesson!!;)
Comments and brutal critiques always encouraged.:)

Dennis Ford
07-02-2010, 7:56 PM
Beautiful vase; wood and form are good. The finish will be great with some buffing. I don't care for the foot but would not say that I "hate it".

Roger Chandler
07-02-2010, 7:59 PM
Hey John,

That is one exquisite turning! What a unique an impeccable finish on this.

I can see your point about the foot, but it tells the story of how this one developed in your mind before it got translated in your hands, and onto the form itself.

That being said, sometimes we [I've done the same thing myself] get into a turning, and just miss the exact form we wanted, or did not have a firm fix on exactly what we were going to turn, and then something like this develops, and when we back away, we leave ourselves disappointed with our own efforts [mostly because we did not "NAIL' perfection]

This turning comes so very close, and its present form is part of its history, so I would encourage you to cherish it "warts and all" :D because it truly is a beautiful piece! Congratulations!

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 8:00 PM
John that is a beauty. I like the stain. As for the foot my wife says she loves it so there ya go.

Sean Hughto
07-02-2010, 8:15 PM
Looks beautiful. Very impressive.

For waht little it's worth, if it were mine, I'd lose the foot. It seems undersized and sort of clashes with the bold assured lines of the rest of the piece. Just one opinion.

David E Keller
07-02-2010, 8:29 PM
I like the color and finish. I may have to give that lacquer a shot... That's an amazing shine! You do use it for the shine, right?;)

I agree with you about the foot. I like the height that it adds to the piece, but I think I'd rather have a continuous curve to the bottom.

The other thing that strikes me is the seemingly flat area between the main body and the neck of the form. Is it really flat? I think I like it, but I need to study it a little more. It's a little unconventional, but I like it.

I got a little excited about the two hundred year old dirty books, but you meant they are dusty books not dirty books.

Greg Just
07-02-2010, 8:36 PM
Beautiful color and finish, but I don't care for the foot.

David DeCristoforo
07-02-2010, 8:39 PM
Gonna need shades! Sweet shape once you get past the "foot". I'm with the "lose it" crowd...

Andy Hoyt
07-02-2010, 8:39 PM
I find the fact that the two vertical scratches in the wooden background aren't parallel to be rather distracting. :eek:

Tom Sherman
07-02-2010, 9:18 PM
John I like it. Shows your character perfectly. And only Capt. Andy could notice the scratches and find something to comment on. "truth is Capt Andy John put them there purposely to annoy you.:rolleyes:

Bye the way Ken F. is going to have a hangover tomorrow...ouch

Roland Martin
07-02-2010, 9:48 PM
Not like I could turn anything as fine as this John, but I'd have to say that the foot really takes away from the awesome job you did on the vase, form & finish are superb.

John Keeton
07-02-2010, 9:55 PM
Love the form and stain, and agree on the foot needing to go. That finish is striking!
That's an amazing shine! You do use it for the shine, right?;)David the first two coats were for the shine....the last two coats, hmmmmm......!;)

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Because cherry can be such a "stinker" to stain, many woodworkers don't color it. This deep mahogany you achieved is a real beauty. I don't know if you buff your lacquer after it cures. If you do please show the pix. If someone doesn't make a footed vase, how would we know if we like the foot or not. Make another one without.
fmr

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Great looking vase! Amazing color and finish! I understand and agree with the others about the foot. Seems out of proportion for the piece.

Took a moment to see what the vase would look like without it.

Up to you..... does it look better?

Frank Van Atta
07-03-2010, 1:55 AM
That's really an impressive staining job. I'm another vote for losing the foot - especially after I saw Steve's PhotoShop rendition of what it would look like without it.

Mike McAfee
07-03-2010, 2:18 AM
BEAUTIFUL tones, nice vase!

MMc

dennis kranz
07-03-2010, 2:38 AM
Wow nice stain. I vote no foot.
Dennis

Fred Perreault
07-03-2010, 6:37 AM
Nice editing job Steve... it really does give one an opportunity to visualize the "after" effect.

Steve Trauthwein
07-03-2010, 6:44 AM
Wonderful piece John. We may have to twist your arm to get you to share your stain formula. I find the foot disturbing but I think it adds to the piece. It develops a tension between the shoulder of the vase and the bottom, and I find it focuses my gaze at the shoulder. Just my .02.

Regards, Steve

John Hart
07-03-2010, 9:34 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words. After I posted this last night, I took a poll of the family, and it was unanimous...Keep the Foot..."Turn another one without the foot". So I guess it's settled. (They seem to determine my every move;))

The other thing that strikes me is the seemingly flat area between the main body and the neck of the form. Is it really flat?....
Thanks David...Actually, it's not really flat. That's an illusion caused by the camera and the angle. I alway take a straight-on picture in case I need it for a silhouette later. It's a little out of focus...sorry.
It's a tough spot to hollow at that transistion. I use the ugly stick to do it, and it really needs to be done because that's the first place that probing fingers always go.:)

This turning comes so very close, and its present form is part of its history, so I would encourage you to cherish it "warts and all" :D because it truly is a beautiful piece! Congratulations!
Thanks Roger. I think your comments are what drove my daughters to their decision.:)

I find the fact that the two vertical scratches in the wooden background aren't parallel to be rather distracting.
Shows what you know....Those scratches that way are intentional. They are exact duplicates of two lines that Magellan drew in the dirt on an island off the coast of Africa when he was circumnavigating the globe. They are an historical reference and designed to grab your attention. (I guess it worked!);)

David the first two coats were for the shine....the last two coats, hmmmmm......!
THAT's for sure!!:D John...you're getting to know me too well.:)

I don't know if you buff your lacquer after it cures. If you do please show the pix.
Sometimes I do..and sometimes I don't. But in this case I will...and I'll post again with the results. Thanks Faust.

Took a moment to see what the vase would look like without it.
Thanks Steve...I think, on the new one I turn...I'll try to acheive what you've done there. But then, of course, I'll goof something else up!!;)

We may have to twist your arm to get you to share your stain formula.
No problem Steve...I don't like to keep secret recipes....That just don't make no sense. Here are the ratios....Although, after mixing it up...I did a bunch of test swatches and goofed around til I got it the way I wanted....but this is basically it.

4 Red Mahogany
1 Golden Pecan
1/2 Cherry
1/2 English Chestnut

Thanks again everyone:)

bob svoboda
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Beautiful piece John. Going against the grain a bit, when I first looked, I agreed with you re the foot, but, after looking at it for a few minutes I changed my mind. I think the foot sets it apart from other similar pieces I've seen--makes it stand out from the crowd. Well done!

Allen Neighbors
07-03-2010, 7:12 PM
Yep! You got the mixing part down. You got the lacquer part down. You got the turning part down. And Bob's right: it does stand out. I like it all! That is an awesome color!!

Pete Jordan
07-03-2010, 7:32 PM
John,

I think you did a tremendous job on this! It is beautiful!

Baxter Smith
07-03-2010, 8:32 PM
Great shape, color, and finish!

Thomas Canfield
07-03-2010, 8:52 PM
I like the stain, but am not too keen on the high gloss. The foot diameter to me seems a little small for the vase and not a lot of interest, but I like the stability that a foot adds.

Sid Matheny
07-03-2010, 9:06 PM
When I first read the topic "Stained Cherry Vase (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1459708#post1459708)", I thought why stain cherry! Then I saw the picture!! What a beauty! Another vote to rmove the foot if you can.

Sid

Michael Short
07-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Steve that is a cool trick you did taking the foot off of the vase ... I just have one question ... Can you put the wood back in my funnels????? :)

James Combs
07-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Beautiful vase and I "like" the foot. Sets it apart from the crowd as someone else mentioned.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2010, 12:13 AM
John....you may have been away for a while but you didn't lose any skills. Nicely done. I can take it with or without the foot. Great form and the stain and finish are incredible.

Nicely done sir.

alex carey
07-04-2010, 12:29 AM
holy crap john, that is a great finish.

John Hart
07-04-2010, 7:55 AM
Thanks again fellers!! If I've only learned one thing, it's to be more careful when turning the foot, so I don't end up with this dilemma again! ;):)

Thom Sturgill
07-04-2010, 9:32 AM
Very good John. I love the stain and the feathering of the finish. The foot I can take or leave, but I do think it does look better without.

Keith Burns
07-04-2010, 4:33 PM
Excellent vase John, except for the foot of course. I like Steve's look or you could turne a bigger foot. :p

Cathy Schaewe
07-04-2010, 11:13 PM
No problem Steve...I don't like to keep secret recipes....That just don't make no sense. Here are the ratios....Although, after mixing it up...I did a bunch of test swatches and goofed around til I got it the way I wanted....but this is basically it.

4 Red Mahogany
1 Golden Pecan
1/2 Cherry
1/2 English Chestnut

Thanks again everyone:)

Maybe silly question, but is there a brand you use for the stain? And is it brush-on lacquer, or spray? (hic)

That finish (and the color) is unbelievable. And I have so much cherry, I can afford to do a little experimenting.

John Hart
07-05-2010, 6:50 AM
Maybe silly question, but is there a brand you use for the stain? And is it brush-on lacquer, or spray? (hic)

That finish (and the color) is unbelievable. And I have so much cherry, I can afford to do a little experimenting.

Nope...I discovered that it is not a silly question. I bought a different brand and got different results....and had to re-do. I used standard Minwax brand. Also found out that they changed the formula for the Red Mahogany about a year ago....and there is a stark difference between the old and the new. The new stuff is substantially nicer.

Alot of people have good results with brush-on lacquer...but I get my best results with the spray stuff...Or maybe it's just the euphoria.:confused::)

Anyway...I use the standard Rustoleum High Lustre Clear Lacquer Spray (Green Can). Spraying technique is pretty crucial with this stuff. Try to maintain a distance of less than 12 inches. Always keep moving....and be very aware that it doesn't take much to cause a run. The first coat should be very light and get complete coverage. It will be somewhat dull. Wait 5 minutes and do the second coat...keeping the coat even and go for signs of a good gloss...but don't go heavy. Wait 10 minutes and do the third coat the same way. Additional coats may be needed..but just stick to that schedule. Don't let it dry too long....and move from top to bottom...and don't go back to the top until the next coat.

On the staining....I did this with my hands. Wore some surgical gloves and put a heavy amount of stain on the rims and high points and let it sit for a minute...then dabbing my fingers in the stain and fondling the vase...kinda hand-rubbed the whole piece, trying to acheive a dark-to-light, and random, uneven coloration. After drying, you will see some stain sorta wicks to little bubbles in some places...but thats ok. Take some 0000 steel wool and go over the whole piece to get a nice smooth surface and smooth tranisitions from dark-to-light.

Thanks again all.:)