PDA

View Full Version : What Keeton Said...

David DeCristoforo
07-02-2010, 7:20 PM
Took the advice. Did some work....

For some reason, this makes me think of Bazooka Joe's friend, "Mort". The void was filled with a fine '09 DuPont mixed with Jamaica Blue Mountain.

Josh Bowman
07-02-2010, 7:36 PM
David,
That looks very nice. I'm just beginning.....I understand natural edge bowls, but how do you do that bowl?

Roger Chandler
07-02-2010, 7:50 PM
Josh,

If you are looking for the way to turn a natural edge bowl, there is a sequence to it. First if you are using a half log blank, mount it between centers and turn a tenon on the side that would be the middle of the log [opposite the bark] and then you can mount your tenon in your chuck, and then shape the outside, being careful to leave the bark you want to include on the bowl.

When you want to hollow out the center of the bark side, know that you have to pay close attention to the "shadow" as the undulations in the log shape will have high spots and low "shadow" areas. You will essentially be turning air on those low spots, so tool control is a must, or else you will get a catch that will at minimum tear off the very bark you are trying to save in making the natural edge in the first place.

make sure you do your shaping of the form on the outside first, and get it pretty much where you want it before starting on the inside. The hollowing is pretty much the same as with a regular bowl, except the high and low of the log, which means "turning air" on the low spots of the form. Check often to measure the thickness of the sides, and try to be consistent all the way to the bottom.

You may have to try 2 or 3 before you get the hang of it, so good luck! :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 8:08 PM
That is a beauty David. Really well done.

John Keeton
07-02-2010, 8:25 PM
David, that is just a beautiful piece of wood, and you certainly did it justice!

And, for the record, that Jamaican Blue Mountain is an absolute perfect match!!;) So rich and bold - yet, smooth!

Folgers would have really taken away from this piece!:D

BTW, what is the burl? Looks like BLM, but kind of has a little cherry look.

David E Keller
07-02-2010, 8:36 PM
That's pretty cool. It's an interesting form... Interesting in a good way. Nicely done.

It's beautiful wood, and you've done it proud.

David DeCristoforo
07-02-2010, 8:36 PM
"...that Jamaican Blue Mountain is an absolute perfect match..."

I thought so too...

The burl is a big ol' maple cap. Not a lot of "eye" in it but much going on in general. I was tempted to turn it down past the "knot" but I really didn't want to end up with it looking "skinny". And I did have that Blue Mountain... Left the walls about a quarter of an inch thick to show more of the NE...

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2010, 9:08 PM
David...I agree...reminds me of Mort and his hair do... Nicley done.

Harvey Ghesser
07-02-2010, 9:19 PM
Nice work on a nice piece of wood, David!

Tom Sherman
07-02-2010, 9:30 PM
Very nice Sir, great use of wood and coffee.

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Nice - real nice! Love the wood!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-03-2010, 2:06 AM
Took the advice. Did some work....

For some reason, this makes me think of Bazooka Joe's friend, "Mort". The void was filled with a fine '09 DuPont mixed with Jamaica Blue Mountain.

Nice piece David, beautiful wood :D

charlie knighton
07-03-2010, 2:11 AM
very nice....

Josh Bowman
07-03-2010, 8:44 AM
Josh,

If you are looking for the way to turn a natural edge bowl, there is a sequence to it. First if you are using a half log blank, mount it between centers and turn a tenon on the side that would be the middle of the log [opposite the bark] and then you can mount your tenon in your chuck, and then shape the outside, being careful to leave the bark you want to include on the bowl.

When you want to hollow out the center of the bark side, know that you have to pay close attention to the "shadow" as the undulations in the log shape will have high spots and low "shadow" areas. You will essentially be turning air on those low spots, so tool control is a must, or else you will get a catch that will at minimum tear off the very bark you are trying to save in making the natural edge in the first place.

make sure you do your shaping of the form on the outside first, and get it pretty much where you want it before starting on the inside. The hollowing is pretty much the same as with a regular bowl, except the high and low of the log, which means "turning air" on the low spots of the form. Check often to measure the thickness of the sides, and try to be consistent all the way to the bottom.
:)
You may have to try 2 or 3 before you get the hang of it, so good luck!
Thanks for the information. What I'm confused about is Davids shape is not what I would expect from a log half. He mentioned it's a "cap". Would it be an end grain turning, like from a "bump" on a tree? It looks very hard to keep it from flying off the lathe in pieces.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2010, 8:50 AM
Josh,

The bump is normally called a burl. It is an anomaly in the wood I have heard discussed as caused by physical damage and I have heard caused by disease but regardless the grain runs in all directions rather than the normally aligned pattern.

And yes....the bump in this case would be the top of the NE....natural edged bowl....or hollowform.

Thom Sturgill
07-03-2010, 9:31 AM
Very nice piece David. I love that BL Maple burl.

John Hart
07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Funny thing...I have a maple burl NE roughed out that kinda looks like this as well. I oughta finish it off so we can compare them. That is so cool!!:)

bob svoboda
07-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Nicely done David. Love the shape and the wood.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Nice job David. But all this talk about Jamaican Blue Mountain makes me thirsty.
I'm going for a cup of joe. Dear, do we have any natural edge mugs?
fmr

David DeCristoforo
07-03-2010, 11:21 AM
"... it's a "cap". Would it be an end grain turning, like from a "bump" on a tree?..."

Burls are rarely symmetrical but are commonly somewhat spherical. So if you imagine the Earth being a burl and you sliced off the north pole... that's your "cap". The closer to the equator you make your cut, the thicker the cap. The thicker the cap, the deeper your turning can be. Mount it on the lathe with the north/south axis between centers. Since the grain in burls is typically convoluted, there really is no specific "direction".

"....I have a maple burl NE roughed out that kinda looks like this as well. I oughta finish it off..."

I would love to see your take on this, John. I have seen similar shapes mounted on skinny pedestals and sometimes even with a lid and finial. Might try that one day...

Allen Neighbors
07-03-2010, 6:56 PM
Great sense of humor!!! Oh, great work, too!

John Hart
07-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I would love to see your take on this, John. I have seen similar shapes mounted on skinny pedestals and sometimes even with a lid and finial. Might try that one day...

Well..you shoved me over the edge David. I mounted up that piece today to give it a whirl. I think I might try your idea of the pedestal. Just got it mounted, centered and started on the outer profile. We'll see...

....if I don't screw it up. :)

David DeCristoforo
07-03-2010, 11:02 PM
"....if I don't screw it up"

If you do, then it will match mine!