PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Grill?

Perry Holbrook
07-02-2010, 3:28 PM
Went shopping for a new gas grill this morning. Noticed a line of Infrared burner designs. They tout them as being the best way to grill. Just wonder if it's just a marketing thing or if it really is better. Anyone have one?

Perry

Ed Hazel
07-02-2010, 4:41 PM
I have a Ducane infrared grill bought maybe ten yrs ago it is hotter than regular flame and supposedly uses less fuel I have no idea on the fuel as mine is nat gas. The heat is what gives a grill that great flavor Propane/Nat gas is not as hot as charcoal but I think the infrared is close.

Jim Koepke
07-02-2010, 5:22 PM
... The heat is what gives a grill that great flavor Propane/Nat gas is not as hot as charcoal but I think the infrared is close.

My thought was always that what one is burning has a lot to do with the flavor. Some folks will soak hickory chips and other hard woods to add flavor. I have thrown branches from some of my herb plants like rosemary, oregano, tarragon and savory to add flavor to what is being grilled. Not sure if you can do this with the gas grills.

If the fuel didn't add flavor, one could likely barbeque with cow chips soaked in kerosene.

jim

Jason Roehl
07-02-2010, 5:55 PM
I grill with real hardwood charcoal (NOT briquettes). Then I'll throw in chunks of either hickory, mesquite, or other woods I may have on hand. I don't soak them, though--wet wood causes soot and an off flavor, IMHO. I also use a charcoal chimney to start the coals, using either DNA underneath it or crumpled up newspaper, no lighter fluid here.

All grills use infrared to some degree--hot metal gives off infrared light, even if the metal is not glowing.

Ben Franz
07-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Most high(er) end grills that have rotisserie burners use an infrared burner in that location even if the main burners are conventional. The few times I've used mine leave no doubt about the heat output! I might be concerned about reliability and repair issues for burners under the grill.

Joe Chritz
07-03-2010, 6:00 AM
Went shopping for a new gas grill this morning. Noticed a line of Infrared burner designs. They tout them as being the best way to grill. Just wonder if it's just a marketing thing or if it really is better. Anyone have one?

Perry

Blasphemy!

The best way to grill is by setting something on fire and putting a steak over it for a short time. What is set on fire changes depending on what flavor, etc you are after.

I use propane since it is convenient, although a compromise for sure. The infrared is better than propane but it still isn't charcoal or wood.

Joe

Dan Mages
07-03-2010, 8:05 AM
I grill with real hardwood charcoal (NOT briquettes). Then I'll throw in chunks of either hickory, mesquite, or other woods I may have on hand. I don't soak them, though--wet wood causes soot and an off flavor, IMHO. I also use a charcoal chimney to start the coals, using either DNA underneath it or crumpled up newspaper, no lighter fluid here.

All grills use infrared to some degree--hot metal gives off infrared light, even if the metal is not glowing.

Ditto here. I love my Weber Performer grill. I only use hardwood charcoal. Royal Oak is my brand of choice. The grill has a propane starter assist, which makes it easier to use. You simply pile up the charcoal in the middle, start the propane, and let it run for 5 minutes. After that, you turn off the propane and you will have perfect coals in 15-20 minutes.

Bonnie Campbell
07-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I've a friend that bought an inferred grill this spring. She seems to be very satisfied with it. She grilled up game hens when I visited and they turned out good. She likes the 'self cleaning' option on hers. Of course you still need to clean the drip pan after awhile. She's trying to convince me to buy one like hers. With my moving in the works I haven't checked into them yet.

Perry Holbrook
07-03-2010, 2:44 PM
Thanks. My wife is a great cook and prefers the propane for its convenience. I've got some Lowes gift cards ear marked for the grill, so I need to get something they offer. I just wanted to know if the infrared was a good way to go or if there were any particular problems with them.

Perry

Rod Sheridan
07-03-2010, 5:11 PM
Hi Perry, I have a Napoleon grill with an infra-red burner.

It's much hotter than the standard burner, it's used to sear the steak then you cook it on the other burners at lower temperature.

It results in the best steak I've had.

I also have an infra-red burner for the rotisserie, no dried out meat, no flare ups, fantastic.

Regards, Rod.

Al Willits
07-04-2010, 11:22 AM
We have the Weber Summit grill and it has both a smoker box and infra red rotisserie burner, best of both worlds.

Smoke flavor and convenience of propane.

We do turkey or chicken on the rotisserie and set it up so there a pan of seasoned liquid under it and as it rotates a few parts of the bird will dunk into the liquid.
Kinda self bastes that way, we'll remove the pan about 30-45 minutes before the bird is done to get the skin a bit crispy.

We'll also do brisket or ribs BBQ style and set it up to about 225 degree's and use some apple and a little oak wood for smoking.

Personally I think the newer gas grills can do as well as charcoal and are by far more consistent and easy to use, plus have the various burners like the infra red that give options of different cooking styles.
Personal choice though.

Al