PDA

View Full Version : A couple of firsts

bob svoboda
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I have been diligently practicing with my skew chisels trying to master them with the help of Alan Lacer's video. This is my first attempt at a goblet (8" from an unknown branch) and my first Peppermill (9", Maple, Lacquer finish). These were both done entirely with the skew except for the hollowing part. C & C more than welcome.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-02-2010, 1:01 PM
I've been practicing with Mr. Lacer's video and skew also. I'm doing OK but you really got the hang of it. Making the bowl of the goblet is like a giant bead. To a new skew user, making that bowl without a catch seems like a giant victory. I will keep trying. Congrats to you!!
fmr

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2010, 1:47 PM
Bob,

I'd say you are on you way to mastering that skew! Congrats!

I really like that goblet.

John Hart
07-02-2010, 1:47 PM
I am very pleased to see this. I'm a skew freak (although I don't normally announce that very loud)

The skew is one of my favorite weapons...and I gotta say....You've used it well Bob. :)

John Keeton
07-02-2010, 2:06 PM
Bob, that is some excellent work!! Lacer does a great job on the instructional part of the DVD - I need to watch them again and do some more spindle work at some point. Can't get away from these HFs and bowls!!!:mad::eek::D

Michael James
07-02-2010, 2:26 PM
nice job.... All my skew attempts are in the kindling pile or already in the fireplace awaiting the late fall blaze. I've been tempted to go for one of the Lacer inspired skews, but haven't yet. TG for the safety ctr!

David E Keller
07-02-2010, 3:35 PM
Looks like you're getting the hang of the skew. I'm with Hart... It's one of my favorite tools because you can't beat the finish left by a skew.

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2010, 4:58 PM
Both your goblet and pepper mill looks really good Bob! Considering that you used a skew - I am impressed!

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 6:03 PM
Great looking pieces Bob. The skew is my favorite tool and use all seven of mine.

Michelle Rich
07-03-2010, 7:20 AM
all with a skew?? Well done! I have been known to hollow with a skew, when too lazy to find another tool in the sawdust...

John Hart
07-03-2010, 10:04 AM
...I have been known to hollow with a skew, when too lazy to find another tool in the sawdust...

Woo Hoo!! Now THAT's true abysseration!:)

Allen Neighbors
07-03-2010, 7:15 PM
Great! Something I've never done: turned a piece with a skew. I can smooth a straight cylinder with one. That's all. Well done!

Baxter Smith
07-03-2010, 8:33 PM
You definitely have the hang of it!

Dave Halter
07-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice work. I had heard you could use a skew for something besides opening a can of finish.

Thom Sturgill
07-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Well done, nice beads. I too have been practicing with the skew lately and re-watched the Lacer videos. I still find it a bit nerve racking and have a few catches. Looks like you are well on the way to mastery.