PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit

bob svoboda
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I was lucky enough to experience the hospitality of fellow creeker Ray Bell, his lovely wife Connie and, of course their faithful dog, Molly, who became my best friend after a doggie treat. I was on my way to a conference, so, I think both Ray and I wished we had had more time to play in his shop, but we spent a little time with his new vacuum chucking system and exchanged some wood and filled the air with enjoyable BS. The picture shows us with some wood I brought over-Maple, Eng. Walnut, Elm and Yew. Ray sent me home with Walnut, Cherry (the biggest dang Cherry I ever saw) and some Sycamore. Great visit with great people==Thanks Ray and Connie! (Ray's the one with hair on the right):D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2010, 1:45 PM
Now I am jealous! Congrats to both of you!

John Keeton
07-02-2010, 2:13 PM
Nothin' like a good creeker visit!! Couple of fine lookin'.....well, couple of ....well, nice lookin' wood!!!:D

David E Keller
07-02-2010, 3:40 PM
That's great. I'm jealous... He's got an upholstered comfy looking chair in his shop.

John Hart
07-02-2010, 3:51 PM
One of the great things about Creeker visits is that you get to see our friends for real...and try to improve our lives by emulating some of their good examples. That comfy chair is a fine example.

I suggest we all find a comfy chair for our shops. I know I need one. And....Have you seen John Keeton's shop stool???!!:eek: He certainly needs one. ;)

Nice visit guys! :)

bob svoboda
07-02-2010, 4:42 PM
Nothin' like a good creeker visit!! Couple of fine lookin'.....well, couple of ....well, nice lookin' wood!!!:D
Wow, that's really COLD. Hey Ray, maybe we need to start planning another creeker visit==maybe to Central Kentucky??:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2010, 4:52 PM
Always great to hear of Creekers getting together! Sounds like you both had fun!

If you guys make the trip to Kentucky - stop by the U.P. - it's right on the way!

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 6:08 PM
Great to see the visit. As I can tell you first hand even if it is only for a couple of hours you cannot beat it. I hope to do some more in our travels.

David DeCristoforo
07-02-2010, 6:11 PM
That's really nice. But the pic is weird. There's two objects blocking the view of the wood...

Paul Douglass
07-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Check out Ray's shop. He started with a few tools all on roll away cabinets, because Connie didn't care if he did wood working as long as she could keep her car in the garage. None of her cars have seen the inside of that garage for years! But, she's a good wife and doesn't complain. There also use to be a nice Harley in that garage, but it sold it to get more tools! Now that is falling into the vortex!

Matt Ranum
07-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a great time! Must be nice to have those easy chairs like that in your shop, and clean ones to boot.:p

Ray Bell
07-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Bob, it was very nice meeting you, and thanks for the wood. I am really looking forward to turning the Big Leaf Maple, but want to get a little better first. Seems like every project develops into a problem, and I don't want to ruin those blanks. It was a short visit, as Bob was on his way to Yakima for a conference. Hopefully he can stay longer and show me how to turn.

BTW, those "cushy" chairs are in there because a friend of a friend thought I may fix them. The arms are doweled together, and all of the dowels are broken.I just haven't had the incentive to work on them, as every time I go in there the lathe seems to have this hyper magnetic draw. I do need to get them out of there though.

Ray Bell
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Check out Ray's shop. He started with a few tools all on roll away cabinets, because Connie didn't care if he did wood working as long as she could keep her car in the garage. None of her cars have seen the inside of that garage for years! But, she's a good wife and doesn't complain. There also use to be a nice Harley in that garage, but it sold it to get more tools! Now that is falling into the vortex!

Paul knows all about my "shop". At one time it was a bare stud building. Paul helped me wire, insulate, sheetrock, and paint it. It is wonderful to have helpful friends close by.