PDA

View Full Version : Sam Maalof / Lon Schleining bolt threaded bench top

Boris Sudel
07-02-2010, 9:47 AM
Hi,

I'm considering building Sam Maalof / Lon Schleiningdesigned woodworking bench described in the "The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench" book. My concern is that they recommend to put 5-6 long threaded bolts across the woodworking bench. However this is a large bench top (82" x 36") and wood movement may account for more then 1/8" across - which to the best of my understanding the threaded bolts would pervent. Any thoughts about this - keeping the bolts loose is aganst their purpose, but keeping them tightened would prevent wood movement.

Thanks for your advice,
Boris

Ben Davis
07-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Why the bolts? If it's a laminated top, the glue is stronger than the wood fibers since every joint is long grain-to-long grain.

I highly suggest you pick up the Schwartz Workbenches book prior to investing any money in wood. It is very well written and will give you miles of insight to the history of the bench and why certain things (like beech and hard maple) were choosen for tops (not because they are hard!!!). It's chocked full with all kinds of useful information.

Hope this helpss

Steve Sheehan
07-03-2010, 9:11 AM
I have several workbenches -some have the through bolts and some don't . The bolted benches are all perfect after many years . Some of the no bolt benches have split . The bolts also make it easy to "clamp" the pieces together when assembling . I would use 'em . Doesn't cost only about $10 more .

Boris Sudel
07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Ben,

Thank you for your advice. I bought the book, read it in one day and it completely changed my mind about what kind of bench I want to built. This book is a gem!

Now I'm thinking about Roubo design. Torn between ash vs. hard maple
and whether I want to install woodriver pattern making vise I bought previously to use for curved parts / unusual shapes in addition to leg vise and wagon vise.

Boris

Jim Andrew
07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I bought the Schwartz book, used the bolts, had some white oak that I used, only came out to 3" thick after running pieces through the surfacer, but it made a fine bench. Some of the pieces had cracks, but I sawed it into strips to laminate, and turned the grain and it made a fine top. Just have to watch when you drill dog holes that you don't hit one of your bolts.

Charlie Kocourek
07-17-2010, 7:54 PM
Personally, I would skip the bolts and just glue it together.

I disassembled an old school bench top once and found it had bolts going all the way through it. The interesting thing was that there were springs at each end of the bolts to allow for wood movement. It seemed like a good idea, but again, why not just glue it together?