PDA

View Full Version : West Chester, PA

Damion Bevacqua
07-02-2010, 1:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Like the title says, I'm going to be in West Chester, PA over the weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for "can't miss" places to check out while I'm there? You know - good woodworking stores, good places to check out new and/or used power tools, etc.

I've heard that "ReTool" might be worth checking out.

I'm from NW PA, so just about anyplace is interesting to me - heck, the nearest Rockler is 120 miles away!

Thanks!
Damion

Michael Mezalick
07-02-2010, 5:57 AM
Not much for tools in the area other than Woodcraft
417 Boot Rd,
Downingtown, PA
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/Default.aspx?locationType=state&location=PA

417 Boot Road Downingtown PA 19335

Try http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/about_us/directions.html
for so nice exotic wood
They are in Oxford, about A 40 minute drive.

Ben Abate
07-02-2010, 6:40 AM
If I remember correctly you are not too far from Brandywine right guys? Am I saying that correctly? The DuPont family estate in Wilmington DE.

Pretty sure I'm correct here, if not please correct me.

thanks
Ben

Larry Fox
07-02-2010, 7:43 AM
Don is corrrect - very close indeed (< 30 minutes from WC) and definitely worth checking out. Hearne is not to be missed but they close at 4:00 on Saturdays and you might want to call ahead this weekend to make sure they are open as (I believe) they have a picnic every year around the 4th of July that they close for. Groff & Groff is a good place also. As far as rust hunting goes, there is Lancaster but they guys out there know what they have so deals are hard to come by.

Edit: I just called Hearne and they are indeed closed this Saturday (for their picnic) and Monday because of the holiday.

mike holden
07-02-2010, 8:36 AM
Damion,
The West Chester Museum is a great resource for Spice Boxes and other 18th century furniture. The Olde Mill shoppe is nearby and well worth a stop, Bess Naylor will show you what is currently being built, the showroom is full of Gene Landon's work, and there are plans, tools, finishing supplies, etc. galore.
The National Watch and Clock museum is well worth a visit for the clock cases.
Have lots of fun.
Mike

Matt Kestenbaum
07-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Other than heading west to Lancaster County for wood...along the same lines as visiting Winterthur (Dupont estate/museum with amazing furniture collection)... try getting to both the Wharton Esherick House Museum in Paoli, PA. The father of American Arts and Crafts Movement. The hand carved staircase alone is worth the trip. Here is the link for directions and hours etc. http://www.levins.com/esh7.html

The Philadelphia Museum of Art is also a great place to spend a day looking at amazing work.

Matt

Jim German
07-02-2010, 12:04 PM
If you're looking for a Woodcraft, head down to the one in Wilmington instead of the one in Downingtown. It's generally easier to get to (although who knows with holiday traffic) and DE has no sales tax.

Larry Fox
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
There is also Ball & Ball hardware on rt 30 in Exton (not sure of weekend hours though). The Woodcraft in Downingtown and DE are both owned by the same great proprieter so you can't go wrong patronizing either one. If you are in WC the one in Downingtown is WAY easier to get to - straight up 322 and a right onto Boot road and he is on the left. If you are at Woodcraft (and you are into this sort of thing) you may as well backtrack a few blocks and go to Victory Brewing for a refreshing libation (or 7). :)

Jim German
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
If you are in WC the one in Downingtown is WAY easier to get to
Ahh yeah my bad, for some reason I was thinking Doylestown, not downingtown.

Charles Bender
07-03-2010, 6:10 AM
My vote would definitely be the Chester County Historical Society in West Chester and Winterthur in Delaware. Someone mentioned Wharton Esherick, also a great place to visit not far from W.C. Another mentioned Ball & Ball but, if I remember correctly, they don't have weekend hours until the Fall. There are also several world class antique dealers in the area that, if they're open, are worth the trip.

Jim Becker
07-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately, Hearne Hardwoods is closed for the holiday weekend.

Damion Bevacqua
07-04-2010, 9:38 PM
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I tried to make it to Woodcraft, but that didn't happen.

We did make it to the ice cream festival at Penn's Landing (way crowded, but lots of ice cream).

- Damion