PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly g0564 Gloat

Mike Metz
07-02-2010, 1:00 AM
1st time Posting on here, thought i would share some pictures and first thoughts of my new "Toy" its a Grizzly g0564 Oscillating Edge Sander.

First off what can i say about Grizzly yet another outstanding tool along with fast shipping I ordered it on Sunday night, and was delivered Thrusday morning to So. Cali. The crate arrived without a ding or scratch on it. As im sure im like the rest of you out there i could not wait till break into it, as you can see by the pictures below its a pretty good sized unit and was a little awkward to move around by myself but was able to be done! (well at least till mounting on the mobile base gotta love the GF for helping). Unforunatly when i opened the cabinet door i noticed a scent of mold inside it, i found that at some point the box, and wood shelf inside had gotten wet. When i opened the box i found that the Spindle sander table, had corrosion and rust on it, as well as the sanding belt was moldy and acctually still a little damp, other than those parts everything else was perfect. after spending about 2 hours to assemble the unit and a quick trip to HD to pickup a 220v plug. i was finally able to break the cherry on it. Quiet (well for woodworking machinery atleast) smooth, passed the nickel test with no issues, even while on the mobile base. it also has good dust collection (even when just using 1 of the ports). I have emailed Grizzly with the water damaged issues and i am awaiting their response and will post when i get the word on thier solution. As im sure most of you are just like me, and wanting pictures here are some of the whole process.

glenn bradley
07-02-2010, 4:49 AM
Congrats. Grizzly has always mde sure I was happy, resolving even minor issues quickly and thoroughly. An oscillating machine like this is one of my "some day" machines. The catalog states that the spindle is non-oscillating. I always wondered how they do that when the whole belt carriage oscillates(?). Maybe the oscillation mechanism is other than how I visualize it(?).

Van Huskey
07-02-2010, 8:31 AM
The catalog states that the spindle is non-oscillating. I always wondered how they do that when the whole belt carriage oscillates(?). Maybe the oscillation mechanism is other than how I visualize it(?).

The spindle appears to attach to the top of the idler roller. The key here is the idler roller does NOT move up and down only the drive drum on the other side does. The belt just rides up and down on the idler roller. You can sand against the idler roller which works like a fairly large spindle sander and since the belt oscillates it would be like a OSC.

What may have caused your confusion is some machines move the entire carraige and the belt does not move up and down on the idler roller.