PDA

View Full Version : Media Mail

Jim Barrett
07-01-2010, 9:37 PM
OK give me the skinny on mailing magazines using media mail. I have been selling my magazines primarily by priority flat rate. I see others especially on ebay shipping magazines using media mail. The PO told me if there is advertisements in the magazines (yes) they can't be shipped media mail.
Please enlighten me...anyone?
Thanks,
Jim

Joe Pelonio
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
By odd timing, I accompanied a friend over to the post office recently to ship some books that she wrote and self published. I have a UPS shipping account but never ship media so I asked about it. Turns out the only advertising permitted is announcements about books, so in other words, if the book jacket has something about other books by that author, something like that is fine. Most commercial magazines would not qualify since they contain lots of ads.

Mark Berenbrok
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
That's a great question Jim. A few months ago it cost me $4.90 to mail a FWW mag that I sold for $5.

Jim Barrett
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
OK so it sounds like individuals who are sending magazines using media mail are not following the PO protocol.
I just wanted to make sure I was not "missing" out on something.
Thanks,
Jim

Brian Elfert
07-02-2010, 7:44 AM
Media mail is supposed to be subject to inspection to avoid such abuses, but do you think the USPS really inspects mail unless there is a complaint?

Jim Barrett
07-02-2010, 8:51 AM
I suppose you are correct...what are the penalties if you get caught?

Jim Koepke
07-02-2010, 2:46 PM
I suppose you are correct...what are the penalties if you get caught?

Free room and three meals a day?

jim

Jim Barrett
07-02-2010, 3:25 PM
Nah...probably a fine...$$...I live in a small town and they all know me at the PO...would be very embarassing :confused:....plus it is not right! So all of you media mail violators...do the right thing!