PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the advice

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-01-2010, 6:18 PM
A few weeks ago, after the turning bug bit again, I asked a few questions about "modern" turning methods. Everything changed in the past 25 years when even the skew was used mostly to scrape. Someone suggested I buy and study the available DVDs and maybe find a person who would teach me the necessary techniques to turn basic shapes. I did buy several popular DVDs, watch them (till my wife was ready to kill me) and practice what I picked up. Yesterday. I spent the day with a teacher in my area and got a lot more pointers. He refined my sharpening technique. Fortunately, many years of sharpening carving tools had me somewhat prepared for that part. He worked with me doing spindle work most of the day and we turned a rough green bowl later on. It was a fairly intense day. Till we were done I could shear cut and make coves and beads with a skew and shear cut without disaster. I would like to say I picked up the spindle gouge as easily but I see the need for lots more practice. I quickly learned respect for a bowl gouges propensity to catch if the wrong edge is presented to wet wood. I also found out why the handles are so much longer than the spindle gouge. There was a lot of information to consume in a short time and I will need lots of practice to commit some of it to memory. I am sure it was time well spent because I had misinterpreted much of what I thought I saw on the DVDs.
I also had the opportunity to use his upscale lathe and though it was a wonderful tool, I determined it was more than I needed. Of course, my Delta Homecraft will be moved aside for something better. Today I took advantage of the great tool sale mentioned on SMC and ordered the yellow guy. I've never bought a stationary tool I thought was "too good" for me but I am sure it will be a long time before my turning skills ever come close to being worthy of the PM. I've already bought several new basic tools and the jigs to sharpen them. I'm really looking forward to learning a new skill set. The efforts I've made to little success the last months make me realize how skilled and talented many of you are. I'm looking forward to learning the "new turning". I look forward to the thread that says, "My first turning good enough to post".
fmr

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2010, 6:23 PM
Faust - looking forward to seeing your new lathe gloat as well as photos of your work!

Glad you were able to find someone close to you to help answer some of your questions - but remember that is also the big reason we are all here - to learn and help others during the process. So, if you have any questions .... this is the place!

David E Keller
07-01-2010, 6:27 PM
Congrats on the lathe... I think you chose a great one. Also, sounds like the mentoring was a worthwhile endeavor. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your turnings.

Wally Dickerman
07-01-2010, 6:32 PM
Good for you Faust. I try my darndest to convince newbies that a hands on lesson from a good instructor is the only way to quickly learn the basics of turning. I glad to hear that you went that route. Your turning in the future will always benefit from it.

Wally

Thom Sturgill
07-01-2010, 8:37 PM
The vortex is strong with this one. Can't wait to see some turnings from that mustard.

John Keeton
07-01-2010, 8:43 PM
Faust, congrats on the big ol' MUSTARD!! I am jealous!!

I am betting you move fast with developing the new skill set, and I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-01-2010, 9:47 PM
I too have lathe envy.... Congrats. I am also trying to get the first turning worthy of posting. I have a NE bowl that may qualify for posting. It's drying and awaiting final buffing.....

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Faust! You will appreciate it!

Kyle......check this out as an early post.....it doesn't have to be special

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34064&d=1142555297

John Hart
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Rock-n-Roll Faust!!!:)

Hey Ken....Nice bonker!!:D That brings back memories.:)

bob svoboda
07-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Congratulations on joining the Mustard Club. Can't wait to hear what you think of it after you've gotten your hands on it for awhile. I'll bet you are never sorry you did it.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
That is a nice bonker.... I still can't make things like that...:o

I see a serial number, is it a for sale item? I'm not in the market, just curious. Salmon have to be VERY lost to make it down here. It won't see much use.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
That turned out to be the only one and it is in the possession of Msr. Andy Hoyt in Maine. He uses it to stir his Moxie.

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 6:11 PM
Congrats on a great lathe. You will be turning in no time.

Fred Perreault
07-03-2010, 7:08 AM
Faust.... it is quite likely that anything you attempt at turning will be graciously welcomed by the Creekers. We all started at the beginning, and the greatest part is seeing ourselves, or another turner, improve with time. There is no "minimum quality" required for posting, and no question is too elementary. Personally, after more than a year and a half of turning, I'd still be fighting catches if it were not for the unselfish members of the Creek. I have never viewed turning as a contest between turners, or between turner and tool... but rather an opportunity to get satisfaction from creating a "nearly inanimate object" from a section of tree. Usually from a tree that has been determined to have outlived it's useful life. I just love it all....

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-03-2010, 7:33 AM
Fred,
Don't worry. I am not so proud as to believe I have to turn something great to show it. After all, how do you learn what is possible without the comments of others? Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. I've spent a great deal of time trying to turn four simple finials that will be part of a furniture piece I have almost finished. I drew it and cut a template to work the profile. I've had so many failures and catches I was suspecting the only way I would ever be able to make usable finials in cherry would be to buy them. Bill Grumbine showed me the proper technique and my practice is finally beginning to look like the drawings. In fact, today I will try to make a "real" one. Believe me, simple as they are, I will feel quite a sense of accomplishment when I can make them without a spoiling catch or tons of sandpaper and I will then be happy to show them to you.
fmr