PDA

View Full Version : Texas wood

Dahl Troy Perry
07-01-2010, 4:33 PM
Leaving for northern Texas next week is there any wood that I should look for while I'm there to turn that is native to Texes that I mite not find here in Indiana ? I like to pick up wood when ever I go to other states.
Planing to stop at the Grizzly tool showroom on the way. Wish I was driving the truck:D

Alan Trout
07-01-2010, 4:44 PM
Dahl

Of course Mesquite. Typically it does not get as big in north Texas as south but it is my favorite to turn. In North Texas there is typically a ton of Bois d'arc which many like to turn as well.

Good Luck

Alan

Andrew Kertesz
07-01-2010, 4:45 PM
You can look for Texas Ebony and Dessert Ironwood, maybe some Cholla Cactus skeleton if you turn any pens.

Allen Neighbors
07-01-2010, 7:03 PM
I live in NorthWest Texas. If you get close to me, drop by, and we'll go cut some Mesquite for you. No Charge. :)

charlie knighton
07-01-2010, 8:56 PM
take the truck, go see Allen :D

Craig Powers
07-02-2010, 7:18 PM
Depends on which part of North Texas. Northeast and Northwest Texas are totally different.

Dahl Troy Perry
07-02-2010, 7:55 PM
Plan on being north of dallas 50 miles in Sadler Texas at the wife's aunt's.But may go on to grand canyon for 2-3 days kind up in the air write now (the boss (wife) has not let me know ) I'm just trying to plan just in case you always need wood to turn:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2010, 8:04 PM
I got some mesquite and it is really nice to turn. You can take it from start to finish and it will not move that much. Get some Osage Orange if you can. Nice turning wood also.

Allen Neighbors
07-03-2010, 7:20 PM
Do you go through Amarillo on your way to the Big Canyon?

steven carter
07-06-2010, 8:53 AM
Definitely go for the mesquite. I turned my first piece a couple weeks ago and love it. I wouldn't bother with the Osage, as there is plenty of that here in Indiana.

Steve

Dahl Troy Perry
07-06-2010, 8:00 PM
Well the wife has gave the new game plan.:( Now we are going to Sherman Texas and from there to New Orleans and up to her other Aunt's house in Ky. ner Cave City. Man I was looking forward to Met Allen and get some mesquite. Will see what I can find at her Aunt's son's house she said he had a lot of pecan trees on the back of his ranch and he had a chainsaw:rolleyes: Wife said I could not take mine:eek:

brian watts
07-06-2010, 9:49 PM
Definitely go for the mesquite. I turned my first piece a couple weeks ago and love it. I wouldn't bother with the Osage, as there is plenty of that here in Indiana.

Steve

were could a person get some?

charlie knighton
07-06-2010, 9:52 PM
he had a chainsaw:rolleyes: Wife said I could not take mine:eek:

that the best when cutting pecan, it will dull a chain cutting 8 inch log in two :eek:

Aaron Wingert
07-07-2010, 5:05 PM
Wife said I could not take mine:eek:

Dahl Troy, I believe we need to sit you down and have a discussion about who wears the pants in your family. Sounds like you're being abducted and dragged across the country against your will! :D

If you can get your hands on some mesquite while in Texas, do so. It is an awesome wood to turn.

whit richardson
07-07-2010, 6:05 PM
Sherman TX to NOLA? So lots of pine Longleaf Pine (Pinus palustris (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris)) if you dip south a mite. You'll be in the Piney Woods - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods right above the Big Thicket. Travelled through for years and lived in the bottom of the Thicket for 20+ yrs. Some little towns in TX and LA have logging in the Piney Woods and local mills. Check listings... :D

LA you see lots of Live Oak.. the tuffest wood ever. Our infant Navy built ships using Live Oak from islands off the east coast. Tales told of how many axes and adzes were ruined just trying to get one log for a ship. You should find Pecan, Holly, Black Oak and more Pine! Enjoy.

Allen Neighbors
07-07-2010, 7:47 PM
When you see Mesquite trees, find out who the landowner is, and go to him, and ask him if you can relieve him of one of his Mesquite trees. It might surprise you, what he does. He may even help you load it. But for this, you've got to have a chain saw with you.

Steve Kubien
07-08-2010, 1:47 AM
...he had a chainsaw:rolleyes: Wife said I could not take mine:eek:

What kind of family trip is it without a chainsaw?!?!?!

Karl Card
07-08-2010, 4:13 AM
What kind of family trip is it without a chainsaw?!?!?!

hmmm texas chainsaw massacre.... thought everyone carried one down there...lol

Dahl Troy Perry
07-08-2010, 5:28 PM
Aaron just to set things strait I wear the pants in this family when the wife is not home:D You have to realize that I married the sweetist woman in the world and one of the meanest Creatures on earth yes that is right a woman from Kentucky . So I will leave the chainsaw home on this vacation. But will be getting wood some how in Texas.:rolleyes: