PDA

View Full Version : Split swing seat

Andrew Pitonyak
07-01-2010, 3:03 PM
I took a 2 x 12 pine board, cut it about 18 inches long, smoothed out the sharp edges and used it as a swing seat. I drilled a large hole in the middle and then finished it with Cabot Australian Timber Oil that I use on my ceder swing set and an oak bench that I keep outside.

I hung a rope about 30 feet up in a tree, ran this rope through the hole and then tied a knot. The knot will not be easy to untie.

I noticed yesterday that the seat is splitting and now has a split that is a few inches deep that goes all the way through the seat (top to bottom).

I suppose that I have questions:

(1) Would I have better luck with say white oak? I also have some ash sitting around.

(2) It will not be easy (but is probably possible) to pull the seat from the rope. Should I simply place a butterfly dovetail across the split (difficult for me but possible) or screw on a reinforcing piece on the bottom (easy for me, but I have reservations)? If I dovetail the split, should this go all the way through? I will try to do this in place. If I pull the seat, I will simply replace it (which takes us back to question 1).

(3) Was the finish that I used fine for the task? Works very well for my Oak bench and Cedar swing set.

I have had that piece of wood sitting my basement for a couple of years. Never expected it to split.

I do not have photos of the swing at the moment, but, I do have a video of this thing in action. Since my surgery about four weeks back, I can no longer "throw" my daughter or my wife higher than a first floor roof, but, it is still a bunch of fun

Video of the swing:
http://www.vimeo.com/12100304

The wife thought that I was crazy when I put this thing up. Now she thinks that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and my backyard has become the place to be...

Kurt Rosenzweig
07-01-2010, 3:10 PM
My wife would shoot me if I even thought of that!:D

Lee Schierer
07-01-2010, 4:01 PM
I was watching a show last night about making chairs and they used elm for the seats because it won't split. I don't know how it will stand up outside. I would redo the pine with a narrow piece rotated 90 degrees just in the center to prevent splitting when the big folks ride. With the plain board you have weakened it by drilling the hole for the rope and then concentrated the load right in the center.

David Winer
07-01-2010, 10:33 PM
I took a 2 x 12 pine board, cut it about 18 inches long, smoothed out the sharp edges and used it as a swing seat. I drilled a large hole in the middle and then finished it with Cabot Australian Timber Oil that I use on my ceder swing set and an oak bench that I keep outside.

I hung a rope about 30 feet up in a tree, ran this rope through the hole and then tied a knot. The knot will not be easy to untie.

I noticed yesterday that the seat is splitting and now has a split that is a few inches deep that goes all the way through the seat (top to bottom).

Andrew, I have been through the same problem with a hardwood swing seat with a hole for a large rope. Mine split immediately after it's first use. Solution is to use a good thick plywood. I have used this method for years and years and never a problem with the seat breaking.

My swing hangs from an oak limb 65 feet above the ground (with help from a tree surgeon). To avoid all that work in pushing and pulling people (especially heavy grownups) I made a launching platform similar to those we rigged up as kids, only bigger. See photos. This one has an arc of about 70 feet if starting from the launching platform.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Now that looks like a lot of fun :D

Never occurred to me to use thick plywood.

How do you finish it so that the rain does not ruin it?
Roughly how long before you need to replace the seat?
Do you use one piece of plywood, or, do you glue two layers together?

David Winer
07-02-2010, 8:57 AM
Now that looks like a lot of fun :D

Never occurred to me to use thick plywood.

How do you finish it so that the rain does not ruin it?
Roughly how long before you need to replace the seat?
Do you use one piece of plywood, or, do you glue two layers together?

1. The seat stays out in all weather, so I suggest that you use marine plywood. It will gradually turn gray of course, but any outdoor finish should work well if you want it to look spiffy. Deck stain, spar varnish, that sort of treatment--would probably need touch-up every couple of years or so.
2. The current seat is about four years old and is still good. A previous one lasted for years before the limb was damaged by lightning.
3. This small seat disk is of 3/4 " plywood. I suggest keeping the mass as low as practicable because people may get bumped by a moving unattended swing.

One other design note: there are two types of cable, I don't know the terminology but the "aircraft" type (not actually intended for aircraft) is much preferable to the twisted type often used in tree work. The former is supple and the latter is stiff and will kink. I've had swings with both.

I guess I should mention the need to use safe practices for everything involved with a big swing. The various connections require some knowledge and careful attention concerning strength and wear of the parts.