PDA

View Full Version : Vari-Grind attachment

Derek Voigt
07-01-2010, 2:00 PM
I'm dangerously close to buying a 3/8 detail gouge and maybe a 1/2 V-shape bowl gouge from Thompson lathe tools. On their sharpening page they mention using the Vari-Grind attachment on the oneway jig. I have the oneway jig already, and I know that there are 2 different versions of the vari-grind available. Is the newer one really worth the extra money?

I sharpen my current bowl gouge with a standard grind, I can see the benefit of the fingernail grind for a detail gouge, but does it really help that much more on a regular bowl gouge, or is it a matter of preference?

Thanks,
Derek

Tim Rinehart
07-01-2010, 2:16 PM
Here's my $0.02...

The new Varigrind has the advantage of helping prevent accidentally touching the holder to the wheel...which could potentially avoid a burst wheel...a bad thing for the wheel and possibly you. I hadn't even considered the new design to be necessary till I read a recent post of someone having a wheel explode on them...and it happened so fast, not sure if cause was determined. In my opinion, the standard Vari-grind has that potential, especially if you are doing swept back grind, you can get the body way closer to the wheel than is prudent.

I like the swept back wings for two things..
1. It allows sheer scraping on outside of forms, and detail scraping on inside rims.
2. It provides a little extra clearance from catches as you're moving the gouge on inside cuts.

There are probably other more important reasons...but I'm sure glad David Ellsworth had the epiphany to come up with it (believe he was first to at least popularize it).

Edit...all that being said..I have the original Vari-Grind, am happy with it...but am also ever more watchful of the gouge to be the only thing that touches the wheel! You don't want to allow the Vari-grind to get caught between it's rest and the wheel...that's all I wanted to really say about it. I've not used the new version, but had opportunity as I just recently put my Wolverine system together, and decided against it to allow what seems to be a little more custom control of the grind. I may be wrong there...as I said...haven't used new version.

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2010, 3:55 PM
I use the original Vari-grind on mine with no problems. Never had a problem putting the swept back grind on them.

Thom Sturgill
07-01-2010, 4:30 PM
I use the original also. Some one posted on a similar question that the new on, by forcing the tip to stay centered on the wheel, will wear the wheel down faster. Don't know, but it sounds reasonable. On the other hand, I have had the tip slip off the wheel, luckily without damage so far, but I can see where that could lead to disaster.

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2010, 4:56 PM
I have the original and love it. I have swept back wings on all my bowl gouges and the vari-grind makes sharpening them a breeze!

Fred Perreault
07-01-2010, 5:33 PM
I have used the original vari-grind holder for 1.5+ years. Yes, if careless one can make contact between the holder and wheel, but one learns quickly that such contact is not wise. It not only chafes a spot on the holder, but the contact can take a nick out of the wheel. I think that drawing the tool across the wheel with the original holder allows the wheel to wear more evenly. Paying close attention, and using a light touch seems to make the chore of sharpening with the setup almost fun. Of course, there is no substitute for sharp tools, and the vari-grind seems to be hard to improve on.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-01-2010, 5:41 PM
I recently bought a Vari-grind and decided on the II. I bought it from Kevin from One Way while at the symposium and he showed me they are both capable of doing exactly the same grind. The II has a bit more versatile but it's main reason for being is to be a safer upgrade to the original. Like all jigs, it can be set to grind the entire edge in the center of the wheel but that will not produce a fingernail grind. The longer, wider grind uses the full width of a one inch wheel.
fmr

Rich Aldrich
07-01-2010, 6:02 PM
I have a Vari grind original and had an incident Sunday before last. The gouge slipped off the wheel and the Vari grind jig hit the wheel. The wheel is heavily chipped so it is no good. It was my fault, but I dont like how easy it is to slide off the wheel. The other guys are probably more coordinated than me and definitely have more experience.

I replaced it with the Sharp Fast Turning Tool guide. I just got it yesterday and set it up. It really works well. My first grind was sharper than I was able to get with the Vari grind (there again, I think it is my lack of experience). It is set up so that the jig can hit the wheel unless you sweep too far. The gouge is held so that it cannot slip off the wheel. The jig pivots about a center and fits the wolverine base.

Patrick Doody
07-01-2010, 6:03 PM
Having used both, and owning a VGII (which i love), If i had to do it over i'd get a VG1. they both work great, and the lower price and simplicity of the VG1 are hard to beat. I bought the 2 because i assumed it was better, but i think they both give great results.

Tim Rinehart
07-01-2010, 6:39 PM
Hey Rich...PM Sent.

Michael James
07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Im one of the new guys, and I use the vari grind attach on the wolverine. I remain vigilant everytime that grinder is on - but there is no way I could get a decent edge on the tools consistently without it. More to be done on the grinder including replacing it if necessary.
mj

Joe Bradshaw
07-02-2010, 7:53 AM
Derek, you succumbing(sp)to the one more tool syndrome. I have both models of the vari-grind. I keep the vari-grind I set for my spindle gouges and the vari-grind II for my bowl gouges. Before I start any turning project, I have a sharp-in and get everything sharpened so that I can spend more time turning. Everyones favorite tool or accessory is the one they currently own/use. YMMV

Dave Ogren
07-02-2010, 1:45 PM
As I understand it, the Vari Grind 1 was replaced by the Vari Gring 2 to improve it. The folks that came up with the Sharp Fast eliminated the problems that the Vari Grind 2 still had. The Vari Grinds are not allowed in some schools because of accidents. That is how the Sharp Fast came into being. That being said they (all three) work great as long as a person is paying attention and uses a commodity called "Common Sense".

Happy turning,

Dave

Tom Sherman
07-02-2010, 8:41 PM
See I knew I had been away too long, wasn't aware there are now two versions of the VG. I have the first version and am quite satisfied with it. Regardless of which one is used close attention is required when working with that grinder ... most dangerous tool in the shop.