PDA

View Full Version : Whoa, that was close!

Chuck Schultz
07-01-2010, 1:38 PM
I almost posted something here, then I caught myself and realized that at any moment I might have to pay an arbitrary amount to see it again or even contribute further.

Phew, that was close. I'll make sure I post it somewhere else...

johnny means
07-01-2010, 2:23 PM
I can smell the sarcasm, but don't get the joke.:confused:

Kurt Rosenzweig
07-01-2010, 2:30 PM
He's been probably using the same sheet of sand paper since 1972!:D

glenn bradley
07-01-2010, 3:23 PM
An unnecessary reference to the unnecessary discussion on the Deals and Discounts viewing rights change, me-thinks. Now there's some unnecessary sarcasm ;-)

Joe Jensen
07-01-2010, 3:44 PM
Does this go in the politics forum or the whining forum :rolleyes:

William Powell
07-01-2010, 3:46 PM
An unnecessary reference to the unnecessary discussion on the Deals and Discounts viewing rights change, me-thinks. Now there's some unnecessary sarcasm ;-)

Probably. But, even after all these years, it's still fun to stand-up to the MAN!:)

Eric DeSilva
07-01-2010, 3:50 PM

When did that happen? And where is the discussion on that change, and why do you think discussion on that change is unnecessary?

William Powell
07-01-2010, 3:59 PM
When did that happen? And where is the discussion on that change, and why do you think discussion on that change is unnecessary?

I know you didn't ask me, but...
I think it happened today. I don't remember it being that way yesterday. The discussion is in the Tech Support.

glenn bradley
07-01-2010, 4:49 PM
Probably. But, even after all these years, it's still fun to stand-up to the MAN!:)

Joking guys. Tongue in cheek. Nod, nod - wink,wink. Nothing meant by it. Let's talk about woodworking :).

Jon Bonham
07-01-2010, 5:13 PM
It definitely happened today because I viewed that forum yesterday.

Keith Westfall
07-01-2010, 8:02 PM
We go from "I want everything free" to "I shouldn't have to pay" to "What does the one that is responsible for everything" think he's doing???

If you consider the Creek is not a good place, the net is wide open - start your own forum and run it the way YOU want to.

Otherwise continue on receiving the benefits of 'the Creek' for NOTHING, or pony of some cash to help it run.

Keith is doing a good job and can do it how he wants. Well, at least until I start signing all the expense checks - then he will have to do it my way!

Keep up the good work Keith - The Creek is good!

jim sauterer
07-01-2010, 8:27 PM
double what keith said.since i joined this forum i only get three wood mags.thanks for this forum.

David DeCristoforo
07-01-2010, 9:17 PM
Um.. er... ah.. what?

Dave Anthony
07-02-2010, 1:36 AM
I find this post disturbing. For an extremely nominal fee, I receive access to a group of people who have a common interest in a hobby I enjoy. Many, if not most, of these individuals have more talent and expertise than I, and I can get expert advice 24 x 7. Never once have I posed a question on this site and had it ignored or dismissed as naive. I enjoy looking at the work others have created as well as posting my latest attempts to progress in this craft, and I am grateful to those who make this site possible. Mr. Schultz seem to think he is somehow entitled to receive the benefits and features of this site for free, as well as having it post his comments for perpetuity. There are numerous web sites which do not solicit donations, and he is certainly entitled to frequent those sites as well to voice his opinions, though I question why he felt the need to post at all. Personally, I used to visit many of these sites and selected SMC based on the quality of the site and its contributers. To me it is analogous to paying dues to be a member of a club, and to complain that dues are requested is petty at best. To use an analogy, my wife and I enjoy using the local parks, and we buy an annual park pass to get access to the jogging and bike trails. On any given weekend, there is a long line of cars parked outside the park on the surrounding streets, representing individuals who want to enjoy the benefits of the park but who are unwilling or unable to afford the $5.00 entrance fee. Oddly enough, most of these vehicles are higher end newer Mercedes, Lexus, BMWs, etc, which makes you wonder about the character of these individuals. Sorry for the rant, I'll get off my soapbox & go back & see if the finish on my latest project is dry (poking your finger in it makes it dry faster, right? :).

Chuck Schultz
07-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I find this post disturbing. For an extremely nominal fee, I receive access to a group of people who have a common interest in a hobby I enjoy. Many, if not most, of these individuals have more talent and expertise than I, and I can get expert advice 24 x 7. Never once have I posed a question on this site and had it ignored or dismissed as naive. I enjoy looking at the work others have created as well as posting my latest attempts to progress in this craft, and I am grateful to those who make this site possible. Mr. Schultz seem to think he is somehow entitled to receive the benefits and features of this site for free, as well as having it post his comments for perpetuity. There are numerous web sites which do not solicit donations, and he is certainly entitled to frequent those sites as well to voice his opinions, though I question why he felt the need to post at all. Personally, I used to visit many of these sites and selected SMC based on the quality of the site and its contributers. To me it is analogous to paying dues to be a member of a club, and to complain that dues are requested is petty at best. To use an analogy, my wife and I enjoy using the local parks, and we buy an annual park pass to get access to the jogging and bike trails. On any given weekend, there is a long line of cars parked outside the park on the surrounding streets, representing individuals who want to enjoy the benefits of the park but who are unwilling or unable to afford the $5.00 entrance fee. Oddly enough, most of these vehicles are higher end newer Mercedes, Lexus, BMWs, etc, which makes you wonder about the character of these individuals. Sorry for the rant, I'll get off my soapbox & go back & see if the finish on my latest project is dry (poking your finger in it makes it dry faster, right? :).

I don't feel entitled to anything, nothing of the sort was meant by this post. The fact is, I voiced my objections to levying a fee for a service which apparently constitutes little concern and value to the creators of this forums and invariably will lead to a site that is entirely fee-based. That's fine if it comes to that, and at such point I'll explore other options. I don find it interesting that so many have determined wahat constitutes a nominal fee for others. $6 here, a few bucks there, it's not that much, it doesn't really matter. Apparently, according to Mr. Anthony, my character is in questions since I don't open my wallet and pay up and instead choose to "park on the surrounding streets". It's not similar to joing a club and complaining about the dues, it's like being a member of a club and complaining that they now charge to use the bathroom...

Joe Chritz
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
TANSTAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Everyone is welcome to come and/or go as you see fit.

Fact is that it takes funds to run a website. Server fees, domains, etc. I don't pretend to know how much, nor do I care.

People may not like the answer but it is still the answer.

I kick in $10 or $20 a year because I feel I have gotten that multiple times over in tips and tricks and advice. If someone doesn't want to do that they can stick to the general areas and see banner ads.

Joe

Michael MacDonald
07-02-2010, 2:07 PM
Can this be done in paypal: setup a regular payment of 2 cents per day? Over the year, that would add up to just enough, and I like the irony of contributing my 2 cents. is that irony? not sure.

anyway, I thought the OP was sort of funny and didn't take offence. I lurked for a few months before I jumped on board. Though I am in no danger of entering the "presidents circle" of contributors (what is that? $1,000 a day?). I don't agree with the OP... but still thought it was a legit observation--and a subtley humorous way to express it. It was like reading a The Onion article.

My only constructive thought would be to incent productive behavior on the site with this whole payment controversy... I am sure the vbulletin software supports this idea just as a configuration option: require more contribution from sarcastic or mean-spirited posters, and require less contribution from those with helpful content. Still undecided how to treat those who ask questions... any reader of a post would have to vote on it in terms of the spectrum... judging it to be good or bad. Then each member's contribution value requirement would change over time.

There you go guys... make it happen.

On second thought... a purely awful idea. Perhaps I should double my contribution as penance.

Wayne Watling
07-02-2010, 3:07 PM
realized that at any moment I might have to pay an arbitrary amount to see it again or even contribute further.

Has there been a rule change or is there something new in the works ?

Jeff Monson
07-02-2010, 3:35 PM
I dont get it either :confused: .... I GLADLY contribute to this site yearly. If you need something more for the money, I really cant suggest what or where it could be.

David Cefai
07-02-2010, 3:44 PM
poking your finger in it makes it dry faster, right? :).
But dragging your finger along for a few inches works better.

Erik Christensen
07-02-2010, 3:51 PM
One of the many things I like about this forum is the diversity – from amateurs to pros, novices to salty-old-dogs, Neanderthals to tool-junkies, etc – this place should and does have room for all. As far as financial support goes, I think it depends on how much you value information available here. Some drop by occasionally, post infrequently & don’t glean much from this board, while others (like me) are here often and use data here all the time to purchase wisely and build smart. I find this place to be of great value and therefore think it appropriate that I kick back something in the nature of financial support; while a more casual user thinks free is the right price – guess what – we are both right and this place is big enough for us all.

As an example, when I got my new 19” bandsaw I followed the suggestions here and got a few of the recommended books to make sure I know how to setup & use my new tool. I was very surprised to discover that I already knew almost everything covered in 2 good bandsaw books just from hanging around here. If this place saves me from having to buy a couple of books a year why not rebate some of that back and do my part to keep this place going?

That’s my opinion – yours may be different – but that is cool too.

Mark Woodmark
07-02-2010, 4:49 PM
I almost posted something here, then I caught myself and realized that at any moment I might have to pay an arbitrary amount to see it again or even contribute further.

Phew, that was close. I'll make sure I post it somewhere else...

I was going to read what you were going to post. Sure glad I didnt know what it wasnt. I often experience Vuga De, you that feeling you have never been here before in your life

Bill White
07-02-2010, 6:12 PM
Mark, those are my thoughts, but I forgot what you said, but I forgot what I said.....who am I? :eek:
Bill

Chris Tsutsui
07-02-2010, 6:28 PM
The deals and discounts thread used to be quite valuable to me, but then vendors started to add some spam in there and a lot of the time there are just craigslist advertisements for tools 1000's of miles away from me.

Even if a good tool deal does show up, it doesn't last long and I was usually too late to be in on the slick deal...

I think if a Vendor posts in a forum, they would want everone to see their deals, and not just contributers.

Mark Woodmark
07-02-2010, 6:36 PM
Mark, those are my thoughts, but I forgot what you said, but I forgot what I said.....who am I? :eek:
Bill

How would I know if I am stupid, if I am too stupid to know Im Stupid

Kurt Rosenzweig
07-02-2010, 7:07 PM
Now this is getting to deep for me!

Brian Effinger
07-02-2010, 8:51 PM
I think if a Vendor posts in a forum, they would want everone to see their deals, and not just contributers.
I think that refers to the point Keith has been trying to make. If a vendor gets to post an ad in D&D for free, for the whole membership to see, then why would any of the other advertisers pay for banner ads?

Dan Friedrichs
07-02-2010, 9:33 PM
I think that refers to the point Keith has been trying to make. If a vendor gets to post an ad in D&D for free, for the whole membership to see, then why would any of the other advertisers pay for banner ads?

Wait...what? I thought the vendors who posted in D&D were "sponsors" who were paying to post.

Paul Ryan
07-02-2010, 9:38 PM
Personally, I like the new rules change. The deals and discount section had gotten flooded with garbage. Hopefully this will clean it up.

As far as those members that are too cheap to pony up the few bucks to be a contributor tough luck. You will not find a better place to invest your woodworking dollars than sawmillcreek.org . For a measly $6 you will get better information and entertainment than any magazine or publication can provide. That is less than 1/2 of what a cheap 1 year magazine subscription would cost. About the cost of 2 gallons of gasoline, 1 pack of heaters, and many other things. If you cant see the value of this site, quit grumbling and go somewhere else.

Salem Ganzhorn
07-02-2010, 9:44 PM
This is a real problem that many sites are struggling with. Monetizing a forum is tough. But closing off the Deals section is really an odd move. I don't think it has much value. And what message does it send? It is charging for content that the user's provide. This is a bad precedent.

And I worry more about what it does for the atmosphere here. In actuality I think the creek is too harsh on it's terms. I don't understand why people need to have to be logged in to view pictures. I think this just cuts down on the number of people who will post pictures in their threads. For example if I want to show someone something I have done they need a membership. That is just odd and encourages me to post somewhere like LJ instead.

Anyway I don't have any ill wishes toward the creek. I hope either the experiment does what they would like or they learn from the experience.

Salem