PDA

View Full Version : ASK This Old House

Jason White
07-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I have a friend here in Boston who works at ASK This Old House the TV show.

He's looking for projects to film for the show right now, especially plumbing and landscaping projects that are close to Boston.

Feel free to let me know what you've got and I'll pass along your info to them.

Who knows! Maybe some fellow Creekers might end up on TV!! :D

Jason

Randy Bonella
07-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I would put my project in the pool but I'm on the wrong coast: installing a back flow preventer for the irrigation system so they would get plumbing and a bit of landscaping. Oh well....

Randy...
Portland, Oregon

Kyle Iwamoto
07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I could use a kitchen rebuild or yard makeover, but I'm even farther out. About as far as you can get!:)

Could they use a vacation in the dead of winter? It's pretty nice out here.

Anthony Whitesell
07-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Depending on what plumbing and landscaping is, I may have a good landscaping/drainage issue. My driveway is settling near the house and porch causing the run-off water to be funnelled up against the foundation and running under the deck and occasionally ending up with puddles in the basement.

But unfortunately I'm not in a position (time or money wise) to tear the deck off the house to remedy it.

Or perhaps I should stick with getting rid of poison ivy. I seem to be able to grow it like most would like to grow tomoatoes.

Lee Schierer
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm not what you would consider close to Boston, but I could use some help putting a new roof on a gambrel style roof and get the shingles to stay in place at the in between bend.http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/barn.jpg

I also have to replace my septic system with a small flow sewage treatment system, maybe they can help with that, there is lots of digging, plumbing and some electrical work to do and then landscaping to restore the yard.

Jay Radke
07-01-2010, 1:16 PM
an off topic question for him. i was searching the ATOH website to see if they had this tip posted. i saw it on a show a few weeks ago. it was using tubing for great stuff cans. i didnt write down the size of tubing they used. when i searched their site i couldnt find it there either. could you ask him if he could find out?

thanks.

Eric Pitts
07-01-2010, 3:16 PM
I could use a kitchen rebuild or yard makeover, but I'm even farther out. About as far as you can get!:)

Could they use a vacation in the dead of winter? It's pretty nice out here.

I've got a few projects as well Kyle. Maybe it would be more cost effective if they have a couple projects out here.

My backyard needs a major renovation and a nice sprinkler system. That's plumbing and landscaping.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2010, 3:18 PM
Chris Padilla the young Moderator from California asked me to ask a question. Would they help him sew new curtains for his shop?

Rick Davidson
07-01-2010, 8:07 PM
an off topic question for him. i was searching the ATOH website to see if they had this tip posted. i saw it on a show a few weeks ago. it was using tubing for great stuff cans. i didnt write down the size of tubing they used. when i searched their site i couldnt find it there either. could you ask him if he could find out?

thanks.

They used the tubing from some romex cable. I saw that too and tried it one time when I needed to use a can worked great..

Jay Radke
07-01-2010, 8:58 PM
Rick,

Thanks. I have a small hole I need to fill in but dont want to waste the can on just that. Now i dont have to use the straw that comes with it.

Jay

Don Dorn
07-01-2010, 9:04 PM
Nowwhere near Boston so my project is moot, but I do enjoy watching the show. I'm now as fond of Tommy Silva as I am Norm (and I'm a neander). It would be great to tag along, watch and stay out the way, I bet you'd learn a ton.

Phil Thien
07-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Chris Padilla the young Moderator from California asked me to ask a question. Would they help him sew new curtains for his shop?

That right there is funny.

Jeremy Milam
07-01-2010, 10:55 PM
My long term ideas for my house is to take out the chimney that was used for the gas furnace and hot water tank. If I take it out brick by brink from the roof, 2nd floor and 1st floor I could use that space to make the kitchen bigger. But, I'm in Ohio and the chimney still has the hot water tank going through it (thinking of changing to tankless sometime in the future but they've already done that one.)

It will/would be a big job and help (physical and/or mental) would be great from any show; especially since my wife has no interest in this, thought she mentions regularly the small size of the kitchen and lack of counter space.

Jeremy

Effram Herskovitz
07-05-2010, 2:09 AM
I am in Boston and I want to do a project to install coffered ceilings in my dining room. Perhaps they could assist me with that.

Jason White
07-05-2010, 7:02 AM
Unless your planting grass or installing a toilet on your ceiling, I don't think that qualifies. :)

I am in Boston and I want to do a project to install coffered ceilings in my dining room. Perhaps they could assist me with that.

David Helm
07-05-2010, 11:02 AM
My long term ideas for my house is to take out the chimney that was used for the gas furnace and hot water tank. If I take it out brick by brink from the roof, 2nd floor and 1st floor I could use that space to make the kitchen bigger. But, I'm in Ohio and the chimney still has the hot water tank going through it (thinking of changing to tankless sometime in the future but they've already done that one.)

It will/would be a big job and help (physical and/or mental) would be great from any show; especially since my wife has no interest in this, thought she mentions regularly the small size of the kitchen and lack of counter space.

Jeremy

If your house is older (from the 1920s or earlier) the chimney project might be easier than you think. In those days they used lime mortar instead of portland cement. It deteriorates over time. My house, originally built in 1926 had this. When I removed the chimney (8 feet above the roof, two story, full basement) it only took a half day. Just picked each brick off with no problem. No hammers or chisels. The chimney is now a circular brick patio around the firepit.

Neal Clayton
07-05-2010, 11:40 AM
how about fishing a broken snake out of a basement floor drain pipe. i've gotta figure a way to do that one of these days. some rooter service the previous owners had out here managed to break their line off down in there. it's draining around it for now, but i wouldn't bet on that long term.