PDA

View Full Version : really wide solid core door?

Jason White
07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Anybody know who sells a flush, solid core door that's around 42" wide?

I have narrower one that I use for my workbench top, but would like to replace it with a wider/deeper one.

Jason

brett gallmeyer
07-01-2010, 10:47 AM
i believe jeld-wen makes doors up to 48"

http://www.jeld-wen.com/interiordoors/
you can look for a local destributor that can order one for u.

brett g.

Bill ThompsonNM
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I would start by checking into Salvage or something like a Habitat for Humanity Restore. You might have to plug a few holes, but a new one will be pricey I have seen them at the local Restore in Albuquerque.

Jamie Buxton
07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
A solid-core door is basically a particle-board core covered with veneer. You can get them in any size you want, but an unusual size might get spendy. You might spend less by buying two sheets of sheets goods -- particle board, OSB, plywood, whatever -- and laminating them together with glue and screws from the underside. Just be sure that they're lieing flat for the lamination step; you don't want to fabricate in a warp.

Joe Chritz
07-01-2010, 1:04 PM
Anything over 36" isn't real common.

Much simpler and likely cheaper to build a torsion box from 1/2" mdf. If you are really feeling froggie build one with 1/2" plywood webs and 1/4" skins and it is probably lighter than a solid door and much more flat and stiff.

Joe

Jason White
07-01-2010, 4:59 PM
Looking for something I don't have to build. ;)

Jason

Anything over 36" isn't real common.

Much simpler and likely cheaper to build a torsion box from 1/2" mdf. If you are really feeling froggie build one with 1/2" plywood webs and 1/4" skins and it is probably lighter than a solid door and much more flat and stiff.

Joe

Vinny Miseo
07-01-2010, 9:44 PM
I just bought a 36" solid-core door from the depot and I was kind of disapointed. For some reason I remember there being a 3/16" ply veneer of luan over the substrate, be it particle board, MDF, whatever...

This new door was 1/32 veneer over MDF. I didn't realize this until I had already cut the door, so I couldn't return it. It was about $50. It will now be my mechanics tools workbench because any little cut with a saw, knife or chisel and the top is dead. I don't care much for MDF.

David Helm
07-01-2010, 9:53 PM
For not much more money than a large door you can get a full sheet of 1 1/16" HDO (high density overlay) plywood. very smooth and dense on both sides. I use it for work tables and for my miter saw station. The only work you have to do is cut it to size.