PDA

View Full Version : Some of my work

Bill Wilcox
07-01-2010, 8:38 AM
Good Morning All,
As promised I have some pictures of some of my work. I did get some very positive feedback yesterday from my "glass blower" friend and his spouse who run a gallery in my town. It was really a nervous meeting since my family has been the only ones privy to looking at them. Since I just began turning about 3 months ago. This sight has really been helpful with getting great information and help.
Bowls:
1. Redwood bowl: 3.5" dia, 2.5"deep, wax finish
2. Ash bowl: 4"dia, 2"deep, wax finish
3. Spalted Silver Maple: 7"dia, 4"deep, wax finish
4. White Oak bowl: 14" dia, 8" from lip-foot, BLO,MS,DO,POLY oil bath.
5. Spalted Box Elder burl: 6.6"dia, 5"from lip to base, H20 HG POLY
C&C's, are always helpful.
Thanks,
Bill

Tim Rinehart
07-01-2010, 8:57 AM
I was just thinking about saying GM to all...nice that you did!

I like the lines of the ash and oak bowls, especially the ash. It's a simplicity that most will like and want to hold.
The oak bowl has a nice shape, but there's too much foot for my liking, maybe a smaller shape would help...but without perhaps drawing it ... can't picture it working in my head though.

Overall, I would suggest concentrating on creating a nice transition from one surface to another. Think about the lines of a french curve, or a smooth ogee shape. In general, try to avoid straight lines in your work, unless really going after a sharp feature intentionally.

Looking at the redwood and maple, I see some lines that you may have tried to sand out but had difficulty. If I'm seeing correctly, they are likely 'crush' from holding your gouge too tight to the surface, and the heel of the gouge is crushing the fibers behind it as you cut. If that's what it is, on the outside just try to loosen any 'push' into the wood. You may find that you just need to get a good sharp edge before final cuts. Remember, you don't want to ride the entire bevel...just the small section behind the tip...the heel ideally is off the wood...but a hair or so.

For the inside cuts, you may need to relieve the heel a bit with a second bevel grind. If you're not sure what this is, look up what Mike Mahoney does which is characteristic of what I mean, and you'll see.

For 3 months in...doing fine overall. Keep at it, and 3 months from now you'll be amazed how much your style and technique changes.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2010, 9:13 AM
Good looking stuff Bill!

I will agree with Tim about form, curves and transitions. Neat thing about turning is that you are always experimenting with shapes!

I really like your Ash bowl because of it's simple, open curve.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more real soon! Also, you are allowed to have your photos (no more than 5 per post please) up to 800 x 600 pixels with a file size no larger than 107 KB. Would help everyone to see more detail in your work!

Have fun!

John Keeton
07-01-2010, 9:32 AM
Bill, I really like the wood you have chosen for some of these! There is a lot of character in these bowls.

I agree on the form of the ash, but I also like the box elder bowl - it is different, and while probably too deep for the width, the way you have treated the top portion lets you get by with some of that.

Overall, some really progressive work! I see great things in your future!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
07-01-2010, 9:54 AM
Love the white oak bowl -- I had to look twice. At first I thought you'd used a chatter tool and then realized, upon reflection, it was the excellent grain. I also like the bark inclusion, I'm a fan of the "imperfect" look.

Keep it up!

Bill Wilcox
07-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I really have to tell you how much I enjoy doing this type of task. I don't know what to call it because to me it isn't work. It is more of a out let of my creative mind. I worked in the Orthotics/Prosthetic field for over 22 years as a fabrication technician as well as in manufacturing management for the largest supplier/component manufacturer in the world. I looked at how I fabricated artificial limbs as more of an art form than a assembly line type of work. Even then I didn't think of that as work.
The White Oak bowl is a variation of a piece that is in Richard Raffin's book: "The Art of the Turned Bowl". The foot on his bowl was actually taller than the one I have. That bowl was the only one I looked at to try and see if it was something I could come close to emulating. All of the others are ones that the design comes as I remove wood. I know I have lots of learning to do and that is what I find enjoyable.
As a note: The Maple bowl that I was working on that I was having trouble with the tenon is no more LOL. I was trying out spinning at a higher RPM than I normally do and got a catch and KABOOM. The darn thing decided to blow up. I took a break after that and had to go in and change my shorts ( kidding).

Thanks all for the comments,
Bill

Thom Sturgill
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I really like the form on the Ash bowl, the others not so much. The Oak foot is too tall, but fine other than that. For only turning 3 mos, excellent! (my first ~6 mos were entirely spindle work.)

David DeCristoforo
07-01-2010, 3:05 PM
Best "form" award: #2 The ash bowl.
Best figure award: #4 The white oak bowl.
Best of show: #5 The Spalted box elder bowl. This one "nails it" for me. Really nice shape, lovely wood, great "balance". Only thing is, I'm not a big lover of high gloss finishes so I would have liked this a little better with a satin finish.

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2010, 3:53 PM
All look great but the ash I love for the simple form.

charlie knighton
07-01-2010, 4:07 PM
very nice....

David E Keller
07-01-2010, 6:37 PM
Nice work... I'm glad to hear you are having fun. Nice variety in the forms you chose. I know it's not a contest, but the ash bowl is my favorite of the group... I'd shorten the foot a bit next go 'round, but the main form looks great.