PDA

View Full Version : "Trash (box) Elder"

Brian Greb
06-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I have a friend that didn't want to turn this piece of box elder... at least that's what he said when I found it in his burn bin. So I rescued it. I think it turned out well I really like the bark inclusion on the bottom of the bowl.

It's a little over 9" in dia. a little under 3" tall and the wall thickness is 1/2" plus(I'm an a thick wall kick).

Thanks for looking and as always C&C are welcome.

-Brian-

Richard Madison
07-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice one Brian, and finish looks good from here. Wise choice on some extra wall thickness to hold it together.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-01-2010, 1:26 AM
Looks good Brian, nice work, thanks for posting :-))

Tony De Masi
07-01-2010, 6:35 AM
Very nice piece Brian. Love the bark inclusion also. Why would your friend not want to have turned this piece? Was he concerned about the inclusion? Just curious.

Tony

John Hart
07-01-2010, 6:43 AM
Very striking piece Brian. I think you've decided on a good thickness as well. Hopefully that inclusion won't open up over time.:)

John Keeton
07-01-2010, 6:52 AM
Beautiful character in that piece, Brian!! Great "trash!!" I think you did right on the wall thickness - I would have been a bit nervous going any thinner on this one.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-01-2010, 7:10 AM
At first glance it looks like highly polished marble. Love the red streaks in the wood.

Baxter Smith
07-01-2010, 7:28 AM
Nice "rescue"!

Tim Rinehart
07-01-2010, 7:50 AM
Some people just have no vision...good to see you do.
Super job, and good to see some heavier walls.

Many get caught in belief that 'thinner is better' for so much of our turnings, and I've been no great exception...but have started trying to keep walls a bit heavier in relation to the piece and its own proportion. Sometimes, it's just nice to see a little more heft when carried out well.
Great job again.

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2010, 9:04 AM
Good looking bowl! Sure like all the colors and the bark inclusion adds to the character! Nice work!

David E Keller
07-01-2010, 9:07 AM
I like it! The small grooves along the edge and bottom add to the piece I think. Nice save.

Brian Greb
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Very nice piece Brian. Love the bark inclusion also. Why would your friend not want to have turned this piece? Was he concerned about the inclusion? Just curious.

Tony

He was afraid that the inclusion and checks in the end of the blank would cause it to grenade. I solved this problem by stabilizing the blank prior to turning it and adding a sacrificial blank to the bottom. After I turned the bowl I parted away the sacrificial blank.

Scott Lux
07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Very nice save. I'll have to remember the sacrificial block trick. But even with that, I think that would be pretty high pucker factor.

Rich Greinert
07-01-2010, 1:19 PM
Brian, would you describe how you "stabilized" the piece?
Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2010, 3:57 PM
Nice save Brian. I like the form and the thickness looks great.

Brian Greb
07-01-2010, 4:45 PM
Brian, would you describe how you "stabilized" the piece?
Thanks.

On this piece I used Pentacryl, and CA. First I applied the pentacryl(thin) to the open cracks, when dry I applied thin CA and medium CA to the large deep openings. On other pieces I have done in the past I have used 60 min epoxy thinned with DNA or acetone. On those pieces I used thin CA first to avid air bubbling in the epoxy. Also if you have a vacuum system you can press the epoxy in to the wood... just be sure to use a disposable bag!