PDA

View Full Version : YouTube

Chris Parks
06-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Until recently I never got what everyone found so fascinating about YouTube but now it has matured I use it for a lot of WW answers, indeed all my hobbies. Nothing beats a video if only to show sometimes what not to do. This was prompted by a question here in another thread that was ably answered but a video of it would have done better. Do other SC contributers use it this way?

John Mark Lane
06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Funny, I was just now looking at some vids on youtube. I was mostly looking at bandsaw stuff, and there's a lot of good stuff on there. It's a tremendous resource.

For those of us who are fans of old music, it's also a source of great entertainment. Lots of good Dead, Quicksilver, Airplane, etc. .... Sorry, off topic, I guess...

Neil Brooks
06-30-2010, 11:22 PM
For those of us who are fans of old music, it's also a source of great entertainment. Lots of good Dead, Quicksilver, Airplane, etc. .... Sorry, off topic, I guess...

If good Dead is off-topic, then ... count me in :cool:

Kev Godwin
06-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Chris,
I use it as a tutorial quite often for many hobbies such as woodworking, gardening, camping, etc. Lots of good info there....:D
Kev

Chris Parks
07-01-2010, 12:40 AM
I find myself using it more and more. Sure there is a lot of junk on it but on the whole it is a terrific resource. If you do a video search on Bling the results come up in lots of thumbnail videos and work by mouseover which is a very quick way of sorting out the results. Actually it is a better way to search than wading through YT and having to start each video to see what is on it.

Will Overton
07-01-2010, 6:34 AM
I haven't figured out a good way to filter what I'm looking for. Unlike text topics, where you can skip past the junk pretty quickly, checking out the videos is too time consuming for me.

I do check out videos that are recommended by members here and on other ww forums.

Chris Parks
07-01-2010, 6:50 AM
That was my point with bing.com, using that you can search videos far quicker than YT. When the search results come up there are a series of thumbnails and each is a bite from a video. Put the mouse on them to start a short part of the video.

Rich Engelhardt
07-01-2010, 7:25 AM
YT rocks!

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but, a "how to video" is priceless.
As I get older and more senile ;), I find it harder and harder to visualize printed instructions.

LOL!
Price of too much Dead, Airplane in my youth eh?

A quick 2 min video goes a long way towards making something easy to understand.

A bit OT - but in the same vein - there's an internet TV somewhere out there that has like 7x24 shows, many WW'ing.
I had a link on my old computer, but, lost it when that system crashed.

Chris Parks
07-01-2010, 7:57 AM
A bit OT - but in the same vein - there's an internet TV somewhere out there that has like 7x24 shows, many WW'ing.
I had a link on my old computer, but, lost it when that system crashed.

The Woodworking Channel perhaps.

Will Overton
07-01-2010, 9:08 AM
That was my point with bing.com, using that you can search videos far quicker than YT. When the search results come up there are a series of thumbnails and each is a bite from a video. Put the mouse on them to start a short part of the video.

I read your post literally and couldn't find that "video search engine".

"If you do a video search on Bling..." ;)

Now, I'll try Bing, my mind wasn't functioning enough to make the connection. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Andrew Gibson
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I started weight training about 8 months ago with a barbell training program called Starting Strength. The guy who developed the program is Mark Rippetoe.
Mark has a forum by the same name as the program, and a book to match. People record themselves doing lifts like squats and power cleans and post them on youtube, then post the video on the forum. Mark watches the videos and usually gives snarky but very good advise on how to correct form and do the lift properly.

Just watching the videos and reading His comments has help my lifting tremendously.