PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Lathe Mover

Thomas Canfield
06-30-2010, 9:21 PM
There was an article in the AAW magazine about using boat jack wheels to make a mobile base. I made a similar rig using 3 boat jack wheels bought at Northern Tool for $19.99 each less 10% grand opening sale, $3.98 worth of bulk bolts from Tractor Supply, and some scrap plywood and lumber. I made a block that bolts to the plywood and fits under the the lower web of the end frame. The plywood is then forced against the frame when the jacks are used and the frame can be removed when not in use. There are 2 wheels on the headstock end and plywood is 33" long (goes through door and adds stability) and one wheel on the tailstock end and plywood is 20 1/2" long (stacks inside the longer piece). I normally have my lathe set on wood block to raise the height some (really would like more height but it is the height of my table saw and would interfere with saw use) and marked their location on floor so I could put it back in relative same location where it had been leveled. The jacks do have some play but the lathe complete with built in rack full of wood and extension bed could be moved. I am now considering being able move the lathe out to gain access to end and make hollowing easier.

Bruce Lundgren
06-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Ken: I have the 3520b and saw the article as well about the trailer jacks but you lost me in the explanation of how you did yours. Could you take a picture facing the front of the lathe vs. end so I can understand it better?
In the article, I believe that holes were drilled & tapped so the lift/plywood could be bolted to the legs at each end. Sounds like you did something different.
Thanks. Bruce

Richard Madison
07-01-2010, 9:01 AM
Neat idea. Do the trailer jacks have a load rating?

Doug Wolf
07-01-2010, 9:54 AM
The middle picture shows a cleat that comes up under the lower cross brace on the leg.

Thomas Canfield
07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
The jacks are rated at 1500# each. There is a cleat bolted (3 - 3/8" bolts) to the plywood that fits between the legs and positions/holds the plywood against the legs when the jacks are used to raise the lathe. The cleat groove is 5/8" deep and about 1/32" wider than the leg (allow for casting tolerance). No holes were drilled in the lathe legs, and the jacks/plywood board are removed when not in use. I set the jacks so that the boards could be installed with the lathe set with the leg adjusting screws fully screwed in since the jacks have plenty of lift to accomadate blocks even up to 6" under the legs. I think that I might make some different blocks to use to get a little more height on the lathe for some turning, but be able to put it back at the current height since it works with saw arrangement.

If the lift were to be used on a rough surface, then I would plan to make some type of attachment between the plywood and leg to be sure that it would not fall off, but there is plenty of weight on the cleat to keep it in contact on smooth floor.

Richard Madison
07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks Thomas. This is a clever idea that could be adapted to move all sorts of things besides lathes.