PDA

View Full Version : How long ago was your 1st Grizzly?

Kev Godwin
06-30-2010, 6:16 PM
I bought my first Grizzly machine about 8 years ago. I'm certain a lot of people bought much earlier. I'm curious to know of the Creekers that jumped in early. I bought my first one in 2002.

What year did you buy your first Grizzly machine? :cool:
Kev

Chip Lindley
06-30-2010, 7:05 PM
Only one Grizzly machine for me in '07, since I needed a wide drum sander and there happened to be a G1066 within 2 hours of me. I've since moved on from green to black and tan when I found a whopper of a deal on a Wow! Woodmaster 3820 DDS.

Mike Cruz
06-30-2010, 7:26 PM
I can't remember if this was the first or not, but I bought a small compressor and nail gun from Grizzly about 10 years or so ago. Both still going strong. Since, I've aquired 2 DC's (sold the first one for an upgrade to the second), a disc/belt sander, 20" planer, 18" BS, downdraft table, and more.

Mitchell Garnett
06-30-2010, 7:32 PM
14" bandsaw

Jim Finn
06-30-2010, 7:36 PM
Since 2005 I have bought from Grizzly: Drill press. band saw,router,scroll saw, planer, drum sander, dust collector system and Air cleaner.

Myk Rian
06-30-2010, 7:41 PM
Last year I sold a Jet 6" jointer with great fit and finish, when I bought a used G1018 8" jointer with lousy fit and finish. Other than that, nothing else.

Kevin Gregoire
06-30-2010, 8:05 PM
hopefully this year will by my year for my first Grizzly

Mike Circo
06-30-2010, 9:24 PM
My first and only Grizzly came in 1990 or 1991. A 4" jointer. (Yes, 4 inch). Cast iron on a floor stand, really a mini version of their 6" version.

Nice, but not nice enough for me to go Grizzly again. Needed a lot of alignment, needed a new switch after a couple of years (melted !!) Okay for what I paid but I bought the rest of my stuff locally and got good tools and good in-person support.

Sold for $150 a bunch of years later to a guy upgrading from a bench top screamer and he loved it.

M

Will Overton
06-30-2010, 9:33 PM
Just one (so far) two or 3 years ago. G0604zx

I would buy from them again if they have what I'm looking for at the time.

Keith Outten
06-30-2010, 9:45 PM
I purchased my first Grizzly machine on May 17th, 1988. It was a G1021 15" planner. I just checked my file cabinet looking for the owners manual and found the original receipt, the planner was $695.00 plus $85.60 shipping.

I still own this planner, it has been the toughest machine I have ever owned. For over a decade my Dad and I kiln dried red and white oak lumber and sold it S2S, the Grizzly planner has seen more hours than most. It still has the original motor which is surprising since I ran it so hard in the early years it was common for the motor surface to get so hot I thought it was going to melt. My planner has the the old style bearings that you have to manually oil before each use and it is single speed. It isn't pretty but it sure has been an incredible machine.

I will take exception to JML's remarks above. When I bought my planner from Grizzly the Delta line of machines were so far out of my range financially I would never have owned a planner. Delta never lost a sale from me, their machines were top notch in those days but the price wasn't a consideration for most hobby woodworkers.

After 22 years of woodworking I doubt you could tell two boards apart if they were each machined on different planners, one of them being my old Grizzly. Now if anyone thinks that the value of this machine is suspect after over two decades of use step on up. One of the reasons this planner has lasted so long is that I purchased a slow speed (wet) knife grinder. I have always kept my knives razor sharp with an extra set on the shelf ready to change them when they lost their edge.

My second Grizzly machine was the 1.5 hp dust collector that I bought about a week after the planner. I still run the DC to this day and there are days that it runs for eight hours continiously when my CNC Router is cutting 3d projects.

About ten years ago I started woodworking for a living when I was awarded a three year contract to build cabinets for the York County School system. For many years the Grizzly tools in my shop were used every day all day long with three of us working full time. The list includes a 1023 table saw and an 8" jointer. My Grizzly machines are all old and the fit and finish isn't much to brag about......but I was never late on a customer delivery because any of my machines broke down or couldn't handle the job :)

If I had to machine 500 board feet of hickory tomorrow morning I wouldn't hesitate for a second. The depth almost always stays on 1/8" and the planner never gets a break while I change out bags because I use a chip box, we only stop for lunch.

Maybe the new machines aren't as good as the old ones.....I don't know :)

Mike Cruz
06-30-2010, 9:47 PM
Hey, I've gotta say that Grizzly machines did used to be a bit so-so/iffy/verging on junky. But they have come a long way. They make some pretty nice stuff now. The best? No. But let me say this about them: The stuff they make, now and of recent, has been good enough to sway me their way over Delta. Why? CS. Parts availability. Tech support. Delta lacks what Grizzly excels at. Ask a Delta rep for a part for your machine... better have the exact part number. Better be ready to pay out the nose for it. Better be ready for your order to maybe be right. I know. I own a Uni and a DJ-20, and used to own a 6" Delta jointer. For the 6" jointer, I needed all the bolts and screws (a CL deal that was awesome, but hadn't been put together and didn't include the hardware). I called Delta. They didn't have a "package" of the hardware that comes with the jointer. I had to order each one individually, by number...that I had to figure out. After doing all that, the amount for each one started adding up. I ended up going to the local hardware store and getting everything for 20 some odd bucks. Recently, when I wanted new bearings for the cutterhead to put in a Byrd, Delta quote me something like $30 to $40 per bearing! They were under $5 each from Grizzly...well under if I remember correctly.

Grizzly may have started out with shady machines, but they have come a long way and there is NO OTHER WWING COMPANY I would rather deal with... and I have even had an issue or two with them. But I still have found them to be more reliable and helpful than any other company.

It is not a sad day to try to remember your first Grizzly. Your first (and last) Yugo, maybe. But Grizzly is simply not that bad. I shouldn't even say that. They are way above a remark like that. They may not be/are not a top of the line model, and frankly, I hope they never are...then that great CS would not be available to the regular Joe.

Kudos to you, Grizzly. On this thread, I remembered my first Grizzly that I owned. It certainly wasn't the first Grizzly that I ww'ed with. I used a bunch of those machines that were...well...iffy. But I learned to appreciate tools. We all can't afford Lagunas and MM's.

ALL HAIL GRIZZLY :D :D :D

Steve Kohn
06-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I own a grizzly 19' bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander, dust collector, and 15 inch open ended wide belt sander. If I could figure how how to sneak a 20 inch spiral planer past my wife I would have that too.

It's OK to bemoan the fact that the American brands couldn't compete with the Asian clones but there is no way I would be able to afford the tooling I have now without global competition driving pricing down to affordable levels.

I would submit that most of the hobby woodworkers could not enjoy this hobby without the cost advantage that global competition is offering on tooling. I would also submit that the old "American" brands wouldn't be selling anywhere near the number of machines they do sell, since the total available market would be much smaller without us in the hobby.

eugene thomas
06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
i bought a table saw, 2 hp dust collector and 8" jointer in 1994 to start my tool collection. Sold the dust collector last year for 50$ less than paided for it. Bought a 14" band saw in 1995 for $295. sold if few weeks ago for $225. Rooled that money into new 513 x2b band saw. some of the tools bought from grizzly where starter tools but when sold them defenitly got my moneys worth out of them. the only repairs i have had to make on them tools is new bearings on table saw and new start box for table saw and jointer. well the table saw fence was bunch of junk but friend gave me a biesmier fence and now works great.

Jim O'Dell
06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Well, if this is a contest, I sure won't win. My first, and only so far, is my G0691 table saw I purchased around 12/28/09, received the first week of 2010. I'm very happy with it, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase Grizzly again. Will it be the only brand I'll buy from now on? No, probably not. But it will get it's due look. Jim.

Lance Norris
06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
May 2006 I bought my G0457 bandsaw. Since then Ive added a 1021X planer and a G0548 Dust Collector. All excellent machines. I also have newer vintage Delta, Jet, and General International machines. The Delta stuff is the worst of it all.

Cody Colston
06-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I bought my first Grizzly machine in 2005...a GO513 bandsaw. That's not very long ago but I only started woodworking in 2003. Since then I've added a 1023SLX table saw, an 8" Jointer and a 15" planer.

I'm strictly a hobbiest and Grizzly has allowed me to purchase great tools at a price point that I could justify. However, I think if I could afford any brand, I would still choose Grizzly just because they are such a great value and the tools are much better than my skills...probably always will be.

The tools may be made in Asia but the company is an American success story.

Aaron Berk
06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
January 2010, G0605X:D

But I've lusted over the awesome gazillion page catalog since 2005

Harold Burrell
07-01-2010, 8:50 AM
Count me among the people who've never owned anything by Grizzly and probably never will. I have my own reasons.

Frankly, I think the whole thing is rather sad. When I was working as a carpenter and cabinetmaker, in the early to mid 1980's, most of us regarded Grizzly as Asian junk. I'm sure Grizzly's quality has improved since then...but then again, most everyone else has sunk to their level, or lower. In general, the whole world of woodworking machinery has declined dramatically in the last 40 years. It's depressing. And honestly, companies like Grizzly are largely responsible for that. The old quality companies, like Delta and Powermatic and Oliver and Walker-Turner, could not compete with low-priced Asian imports. It's passe at this point to even comment on that. But it shouldn't be. We should all be longing for a time when that kind of quality might dominate the industry again.

If we've come to a point where we can wax sentimental about "our first old Grizzly machine".... it's a sad day.

Mark

If we were left with only "the old quality companies", most of us here would have never been able to afford to get into woodworking at all.

Will Overton
07-01-2010, 9:00 AM
If we were left with only "the old quality companies", most of us here would have never been able to afford to get into woodworking at all.

Or, we'd be using hand me down hand tools. ;)

In the early 90's, Norm was speaking at a local tool store (Dynamite Tools) on Long Island. The audience gasped when he said it would only cost about $5000 to equip a nice home workshop.

When he asked how many owned boats that cost at least double that, and could only be used part of the year, I, along with about half of the group, sheepishly raised my hand. He said, "Good, now let's talk woodworking".

Hugh Jardon
07-01-2010, 9:38 AM

In the early 90's, Norm was speaking at a local tool store (Dynamite Tools) on Long Island. The audience gasped when he said it would only cost about $5000 to equip a nice home workshop.

When he asked how many owned boats that cost at least double that, and could only be used part of the year, I, along with about half of the group, sheepishly raised my hand. He said, "Good, now let's talk woodworking".

Well my boat cost about 4x what my workshop did, and I don't have $10k in the boat!

Harold Burrell
07-01-2010, 10:49 AM

I could never imagine spending even $5000 on a boat. Believe it or not, the car I am just now "laying to rest" is one that I paid $500 for...and drove it 6 years.

The one I replaced it with cost me $300.

That is the norm for me.

I have, obviously, invested considerably more into my shop. But I consider it just that, an investment. The "returns" are what I can build with it.

And...just as the "returns" on purchasing a car are (bottomline) getting you where you want to go...my $300 "specimen" will get me there as well as any $40,000+ vehicle. In the same way, when I fire up my $700 Grizzly tablesaw, I expect to cut a board. I have trouble imagining a $3500 Unisaw doing it $2800 worth better...

Rick Bunt
07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
My first purchases were not that long ago: July, 2009.

The G0490X 8" jointer with spiral head and G0548Z canister dust collector. I'm very happy with both purchases in terms of quality and value. Others may have different criteria they use for their own purchases, which is everyone's right, but for myself I doubt these will be last Grizzly purchases.

Ben Franz
07-01-2010, 11:06 AM
1988 - floor model DP and 2HP (yeah, right) dust collector. Replaced DC with cyclone (Oneida) but still use DP. My opinion is that quality has improved quite a bit for most Grizzly products since the early days. Packing and shipping is another story - orders for several small items seem to be thrown into low strength cartons with little or no packing mnaterials. Replacements from CS are frequent, IMO. I agree with several earlier posts that many of us would be priced out of WW if not for Grizzly and other importers.

Doug Mason
07-01-2010, 11:19 AM
My only Grizzly woodworking purchase was a 1023 table saw in 2005--my first woodworking purchase. Still works fine.

I would never purchase another Grizzly--unless I was shopping only upon "price." Generally, you get what you pay for.

Don Dorn
07-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I outfitted my shop primarily with Grizzly in 1999 (contractor saw, bandsaw, jointer) and was very happy with it. Had to move out of state and sold the equipment to a guy who is still using it without problems. I kept the air compressor which I still use today.

In 2003, I outfitted the shop I have now with a G1023SL cabinet saw, G0555 Bandsaw, a Jointer and radial head drill press. All are working today as they did the day I got them and I spend about 10 hours a week in the shop. While I have other brands of tools, I've not regretted my Grizzly purchases.

Greg Book
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
My first Grizzly machine was either a 4" floor model jointer, lathe, or 1hp dust collector around 1992. I can't find information about the 4" jointer anywhere. I actually purchased these tools when I was a freshman in high school. I did woodworking in high school, but gave it up when I was in college and didn't start again until a few years ago.

Those tools were sitting in my parents damp moldy basement for 15 years and they still work perfectly fine now. Despite being made in Taiwan in the early days of the import machinery boom, these tools are actually pretty reliable. I think its because they overbuilt them, using heavy cast iron whenever possible and few if any plastic parts. They wanted their machines to be durable and outlast any QA problems in their manufacturing process.

Harold Burrell
07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Actually, that was the point of my post. Believe it or not...

Personally, I will probably never buy a new car. I just cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that depreciates so quickly (as in, "instantly"). But...that's just me...

Granted...I have a little mechanical experience, so maintenance and fixing stuff is no big deal. (By the way, I doubt if I spent $400 on repairs on my old $500/6yr car.) It ALWAYS "got me there". On time.

Just lucky, I guess.

Obviously, more expensive is (usually) better. But how much "better"? That is what I weigh when I look to spend.

It is funny you mentioned your $200 Ridgid. I'm gonna guess you are speaking of the granite top model. You got it on sale. Good job. I was actually looking to purchase that very model myself when it was full price, but went with the Grizzly G0661 went it was on sale (yes, it has a riving knife). At $200 it would have been a "no-brainer".

I absolutely agree with your reasoning with your boat. I also operate a recording studio (though I spend little time there these days). And while I did not go top-of-the-line there...I did not go cheap either. It was all about the best I could afford for the "return" that was involved. But one thing I found in recording equipment was this...you get what you pay for...sort of...

Let me explain. You can buy a very inexpensive vocal condensor mic for $100. But...quite frankly...it is junk. Especially when you compare it to higher end stuff. That is, if I were to record someone thru one of my
$100 mics and then again thru my $1000 Neumann, you would hear a marked difference. HOWEVER, if you were to do the same test between my $1000 mic and someone's $10,000 mic most people would have
trouble telling the difference in the sound quality. There is this phenomenon is studio equipment that works kind of like this:

Let's say we rate performance 1-10. The $100 mic might rate a 3. My $1000 a 9. In order for me to get a "10", I would have to spend THOUSANDS more.

Better, yeah. Just not worth it to me.

The same goes for WWing machinery. If someone can afford to spend more, help yourself. "Whatever floats your boat." ;)

Will Overton
07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I could never imagine spending even $5000 on a boat. Believe it or not, the car I am just now "laying to rest" is one that I paid $500 for...and drove it 6 years.

Well, Long Island has very few lakes and rivers, but lots of ocean! When going even 10 - 20 miles offshore, most want something substantial under them. The Atlantic can go from glass smooth to dangerous in short order. :eek:

Harold Burrell
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Well, Long Island has very few lakes and rivers, but lots of ocean! When going even 10 - 20 miles offshore, most want something substantial under them. The Atlantic can go from glass smooth to dangerous in short order. :eek:

Truth be known...

I am not a "water guy". I am not into water sports. I do not like fishing. I don't even swim well.

And even the thought of "10 - 20 miles offshore" frightens me!

There. I said it. :o

Jason White
07-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I bought a G1023 cabinet saw from them 2 years ago. Fantastic service, fast delivery, and I still love the saw.

I've since purchased a few other smaller items from them with the same experience each time. I'm totally happy and satisfied with all of my Grizzly purchases!

Jason

I bought my first Grizzly machine about 8 years ago. I'm certain a lot of people bought much earlier. I'm curious to know of the Creekers that jumped in early. I bought my first one in 2002.

Kev

David Helm
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Bought a used 1983 G1182 6 inch jointer 25 years ago. It still runs and does the job I need it to do. Since I periodically go in the store and have bought a lot of small items (they don't just sell Grizzly brand, but carry many brands and generally at competitive prices). I am still waiting for my new G1023RLX table saw that I ordered the beginning of the year. I expect that, when it comes, I'll be happy with it.

Callan Campbell
07-01-2010, 2:29 PM
I think I bought the G1276 6 x 48" belt sander right around the '05 Unisaw purchase. Bought the 1x42" belt sander at the same time from Grizzly. Love the G1276, don't really like the 1 x 42 belt sander that much, but, also don't need to replace it until I can decide on what to replace it with......:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:
I have some metalworking tools from Grizzly as well, just smaller hand operated throat shears and a press/bending brake.

george wilson
07-01-2010, 3:50 PM
I think my first Grizzly was a 12" disc,6" belt sander combo,about 1983. It is still running fine. In 1986 I went to Williamsport and selected 2 16" metal turning lathes. One for my job as toolmaker,and 1 for my home shop. My home lathe is still running just fine,with no scratches or wear visible on the hardened bed.

For my former job,I purchased several Grizzly machines over the years. Except for one of the motors shorting out across the bearings,they have all run just fine. The Asian motor's armatures aren't dipped in varnish,and are more subject to failure than more expensive motors. I can't complain due to the savings.

As someone else mentioned,if I had only American machines to choose from,I'd have few machines in my shop. They were always very expensive. In 1964 I purchased a Dewalt/ Clausing table saw,my first machine. Still have it,but at $600.00,it was a very expensive saw when you were making about $2.50 an hour. Multiply that by what you are making today per hour,and it amounts to a LOT of money.

Gary Herrmann
07-01-2010, 3:57 PM
Don't have any Grizzlys. Now if I can ever afford that 18" wide belt sander, I'll have one. You also have to like a company who's CEO chimes in on forums.

And if I still lived in FL, I'd probably have a boat that cost way more than 5k, but in the midwest, I just can't see it.

Mikail Khan
07-01-2010, 4:47 PM
2006 - G0514 bandsaw
2007 - G01033X planer
2008 - 609X Jointer
2009 - Steelex Mortiser, 691 TS, 1071 OSS,
2010 - G7948 drill press.

MK

Karl Brogger
07-01-2010, 5:28 PM
Multiply that by what you are making today per hour,and it amounts to a LOT of money.

I'm ashamed to say, that some days it would cost far less...:D

Jim Kirkpatrick
07-01-2010, 7:20 PM
1991 I bought a G1029 dust collector. Still use it to this day and hours used well in the thousands. Only maint. I did on it was tighten the impeller once.
In 05 I bought an 8" jointer and no regrets there either. There is a marked improvement in the quality of the jointer over the dc. They've just gotten better. Grrrrrr to the guy who called Grizzly a "starter" brand.

Will Overton
07-01-2010, 8:34 PM
I'll check out Grizzly, sure, but I expect I'll end up with a higher end machine.

With so many of the machines looking so similar, and in many cases using the same parts, how can you tell that a higher price is actually getting you a higher end machine? I own Grizzly, Delta, Craftsman, Steel City, and Jet power tools. I can't tell a real difference in quality, with the exception of the Jet OSS.

Even in handheld power tools, folks say they can feel the quality of their Festool products. My Festool circular/plunge saw works really well on the track. The build and performance is no better (from what I can see) than my Craftsman or Makita.

I'm not doubting there are different levels of quality, but believing all reviews are intentionally or unintentionally biased, I just don't know how you can tell.

Matt Kestenbaum
07-01-2010, 9:31 PM
Great customer service begins with a machine that doesn't require you to call the 800#! At least not calling them too often. Let me start again:

I have a bakers dozen of power too brands in my workshop...new SawStop PCS, older-used Powermatic DC, even-older delta DP, used-but-newer Jet Mortiser, new Dewalt planer, cheapie grinder, Bosch routers, etc. And a new G0490 8" jointer.

Almost all the machines I have bought needed some tinkering, fixture or modification before they really reach full potential. The DW735 is a great planer, but I do love it much more after fabricating a long in-feed/out-feed table flexed just-so to address snipe. PM DC is a strong motor and great design...that only needed a Wynn Nano filter to really do the job...or the x/y cross slide vise and shop built platform to get the mortiser into shop-shape...can't forget link belts for the DP...The PCS was really amazing to put together (a work of engineering art, really!) and nothing but pleasure to use -- once I jury rigged the dust collecting guard to the main duct.

So, I don't have unreasonable expectations and I am not offended by a machine that needs a thoughtful woodworker/owner.

In all fairness though...no tool has given me as many fits or seen as much down time as the Grizzly jointer. Packing and assembly left A LOT to be desired. The tables were far from co-planer...and Grizzly does not offer, include, sell, or even KNOW WHERE TO FIND a spanner wrench that fits the bushings?? Customer service suggested a punch or needle nose pliers. This week I have spent many, many hours trying to get the motor and cutter head pulleys co-planer and level...for the second time in 7 months. I did enjoy some nice flat and square boards this spring! But, after a short hiatus to enjoy a few weeks of golf season giddyness I was back in the shop, fired it up and smelled rubber...removed the panel and the drive belt was riding off again!

Customer service is nice enough...very responsive, trying to be helpful...even sent a new belt back in February...but when I ask them some specifics they are not really equipped to articulate the information.

As I started...great customer service starts with a machine that doesn't require quite so many calls to HQ.

I do think it is really hard to make any kind of generalization about brands in the arena of ww'ing power tools. Same is true in hand tools...plenty of great vintage stanley planes, but some that are not worth the trouble in trying to adjust them. But as the purchase approaches and often pass the $1000 mark I think I, like most woodworkers, set the expectations higher and lose patience faster.

Shawn Christ
07-01-2010, 11:51 PM
G1023SL table saw November 2009 - an early Christmas present. Took me more than 3 years to save up $700 in my "tool fund". Pulled the trigger at $795 when it went on clearance, and it was a stretch for me to make that purchase. I searched for a good used cabinet saw in this area for a long time, no luck. I was and still am convinced the Grizzly was the absolute best saw I could purchase for the money at that time.

I would rather build furniture for my family now with a "starter tool" than wait 10 years to be able to afford a "higher end tool". I'm not married to the Grizzly brand, I will buy the best quality machine (new or used) for the price I can afford at that moment. But there is no doubt in my mind that Grizzly offers an excellent value, particularly for a new machine.

Thomas Bennett
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
....was the year I bought a Grizzly 10" cabinet saw and 8 inch jointer. I wore them both out in my first production run of 50 birch cabinets. For production work (back then) they were uesless. But, the price of Grizzly was(and is) very reasonable. I'll never own another.

David Hostetler
07-02-2010, 1:31 PM
No Grizzly machines here. However I have several Grizzly accessories, and a major assembly from Grizzly and it has been a mixed bag...

I have the H7694 Master Forstner Bit 31 pc. Set, which while cheap, has been VERY accurate, and effective...
I had the H7827 drill pres table that had the melamine coated MDF swell up like a balloon within a year of being in the shop here in Coastal Texas. It's gone now.
I have the tension release assembly from a G0555 installed on my Harbor Freight 14" band saw.

I am pretty sure I have other Grizzly stuff, just can't recall...

Mike Cruz
07-02-2010, 2:01 PM
I find it funny how many people say that Grizzly stuff isn't made for/won't hold up for professional use. The shop where I used to work had an early 90's 18" BS, an 8" jointer, and a late 90's-2000 20" planer. All worked just fine for a 5 man shop. Production? Not really. But a professional shop, none the less.

Again, I'm not saying that Grizzly is the best out there. But neither is Ford or Chevy. But they are both plenty good for the masses. Are Benz and Beamers better? Yeah. But we can't all afford the latter.

I get the feeling that many people feel the same way about Grizzly as I feel about HF, and I, personally, don't think that is justified. Grizzly is the Chevy's and Fords. HF is the Yugo's. Not saying a Yugo won't take you 100,000 miles, but it is rare. You can expect 100,000 miles out of your Chevy.

Mike Metz
07-02-2010, 4:43 PM
Bought my first Grizzly tool in 1995 it was a g1021 15" Planer, still works great to this day, so i hear from the guy i sold it to, when i got my 20" g0454z ealier this year

Van Huskey
07-02-2010, 7:25 PM
I get the feeling that many people feel the same way about Grizzly as I feel about HF, and I, personally, don't think that is justified. Grizzly is the Chevy's and Fords. HF is the Yugo's. Not saying a Yugo won't take you 100,000 miles, but it is rare. You can expect 100,000 miles out of your Chevy.

I think you have to take into account the different situations and pocketbooks on the forum. For someone who has and appreciates equipment like Felder, Format4, Altendorf etc then talking about Grizzly more like HF makes perfect sense, however that is not to say that Grizzly machines are not servicable. One must appreciate the difference in quality perception and end usage for machines varies a LOT on this forum.

As for the car analogy I prefer to think of Grizzly as Hyundai and Oliver/Powermatic/Delta as being the Fords and GMs of the tool world. I think anyone well versed in the car industry will see the Hyundai analogy as a compliment and the Ford/GM title as not so much of a compliment.

I think one also must appreciate that those calling Grizzly "starter" machines is probably accurate in that they probably consider things like HF et al as not even worthy of starter status. HF machines actually need a level of expertise to get them working acceptably, so you can't bestow starter status on them. Grizzly provides the least expensive and best bang for the buck machines BUT the interesting disconnect is when most people move beyond bang for the buck and start playing with diminishing returns most leave the Grizzly line, having crawled over many of their upper level machines in their showrooms and IWF I can say this may be a mistake. I have often wondered if Grizzly might not do well to differentiate their higher quality tools in the way the car industry does ala Lexus, Infiniti and Acura, the Hyundai playbook is interesting here. Hyundai was an Asian manufacturer saddled with years of lower quality "paint" applied to their brand now they make arguably one of the best "standard" line mid-sized family cars in the Sonata and are building a higher line within the brand that they will roll out seperately at some point in the Genesis line. It would be interesting to see what Grizzly could do if they made the difference in their higher quality/ heavier duty machines instantly recognizable. Felder group and maybe WMH have does that and watching perception on forums it seems to work.

If one doesn't recognize the strides Grizzly has made in quality over the years and refuses to consider them, the biggest loser is the person that refuses to accept reality. That said if one has the desire/need/money/appreciation for a Format 4, Martin, Altendorf, Northfield et al they probably won't consider Grizzly and probably rightly so.

Callan Campbell
07-02-2010, 7:32 PM
2006 - G0514 bandsaw
2007 - G01033X planer
2008 - 609X Jointer
2009 - Steelex Mortiser, 691 TS, 1071 OSS,
2010 - G7948 drill press.

MK
Pardon me for asking, but how do you get your Grizzly Machines delivered to you. By boat? Or by plane? And how long does delivery take, barring no complications. You live in an interesting place!:cool:

Van Huskey
07-02-2010, 7:35 PM
Pardon me for asking, but how do you get your Grizzly Machines delivered to you. By boat? Or by plane? And how long does delivery take, barring no complications. You live in an interesting place!:cool:

I am guessing USPS large flat rate box..... :D

Mikail Khan
07-02-2010, 10:18 PM

All my large tools are shipped via sea freight from Miami. There are several companies that offer LCL (less than a container load) and freight consolidation services. I can order from different companies and they consolidate the orders into one shipment so I get a better freight rate and pay one set of handling charges. Most companies ship at least one container to Trinidad every week and the trip takes about 5-6 days. The freight, documentation and other charges for a 1000lb shipment is about $250US. Once the container arrives in Trinidad it is unstuffed at a bonded warehouse where I have to go to clear it through customs and pay import duties and VAT(15%).

I normally have the items at my home about 10-12 days after they are shipped from Miami.

Small tools and accessories I ship by air freight with companies that consolidate, ship, clear through customs and deliver to my home for about $3US per lb. I reimburse them for duty and VAT separately. I normally get these items about 4-6 days after they are delivered to Miami.

In spite of the long voyage all of my grizzly machines arrived in Trinidad undamaged. The cardboard boxes my Drill Press and table saw fence came in were damaged, but the tools themselves were OK. The only spare part I have ever ordered is tires for my bandsaw.

I have never bought small tools from Grizzly like pnuematic nailers and electric drills. The difference in price between them and brand name tools is too small to be worth it for me.

MK

John Mark Lane
07-02-2010, 10:39 PM
...Grizzly is the Chevy's and Fords. HF is the Yugo's. ....

I walked into a Ford dealer a few years ago and paid cash for two brand new Fords. Rolled 'em off the showroom floor. Having lived with those pieces of junk for several years, and dealt (constantly) with the pathetic excuse for service the dealership offered, I will never again buy a Ford product.

Fords and Chevy's are actually good examples of what I was talking about, just in a different industry. American cars used to be the best in the world. Now they're damn near the worst.

Darrell Bade
07-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Bought my first Grizzly in 2003. 600cc beast, 4wd, one bad 4 wheeler.

Oops, forgot this is woodworking forum, not an ATV forum.

First Grizzly woodworking equipment was in 2008.

Charles Bender
07-03-2010, 6:02 AM
I purchased a 20" planer and a floor model oscillating spindle sander in 1991 that are still going. After tons of employees and well over 100,000 bdft. of lumber I finally replaced the bearings on the head of the planer earlier this year. Both tools are great and still running like new.

scott spencer
07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
My first Grizzly was a G1182HW 6" jointer purchased in 2001. Still runs great. My 2nd Grizzly was a G1029 DC bought in 2002. It also still runs great. At the same time I bought an 8" DP that I've since sold and upgraded to a larger unit. I also had a 12" 3-wheel Grizzly BS purchased in 2003 that got returned because it wouldn't track right...mainly an issue with the 3 wheel design.

My current TS is a 2008 Shop Fox 1677, which is a close cousin to the G1023SL.

scott vroom
07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Count me among the people who've never owned anything by Grizzly and probably never will. I have my own reasons.

Frankly, I think the whole thing is rather sad. When I was working as a carpenter and cabinetmaker, in the early to mid 1980's, most of us regarded Grizzly as Asian junk. I'm sure Grizzly's quality has improved since then...but then again, most everyone else has sunk to their level, or lower. In general, the whole world of woodworking machinery has declined dramatically in the last 40 years. It's depressing. And honestly, companies like Grizzly are largely responsible for that. The old quality companies, like Delta and Powermatic and Oliver and Walker-Turner, could not compete with low-priced Asian imports. It's passe at this point to even comment on that. But it shouldn't be. We should all be longing for a time when that kind of quality might dominate the industry again.

If we've come to a point where we can wax sentimental about "our first old Grizzly machine".... it's a sad day.

Mark

I have to disagree. There was a large untapped market for more affordable power tools and Grizzly and others took advantage. It's not fair, nor do I believe it accurate to say that Grizzly is responsible for a decline in "the whole world of woodworking machinery". Higher priced tools have always been, and continue to be, available to those willing to pay the price (Hammer/Felder/Minimax/etc.).

Mark Woodmark
07-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Spindle sander in 2006. Since then, combination planer/jointer and after that a drill press

Callan Campbell
07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
All my large tools are shipped via sea freight from Miami. There are several companies that offer LCL (less than a container load) and freight consolidation services. I can order from different companies and they consolidate the orders into one shipment so I get a better freight rate and pay one set of handling charges. Most companies ship at least one container to Trinidad every week and the trip takes about 5-6 days. The freight, documentation and other charges for a 1000lb shipment is about $250US. Once the container arrives in Trinidad it is unstuffed at a bonded warehouse where I have to go to clear it through customs and pay import duties and VAT(15%).

I normally have the items at my home about 10-12 days after they are shipped from Miami.

Small tools and accessories I ship by air freight with companies that consolidate, ship, clear through customs and deliver to my home for about $3US per lb. I reimburse them for duty and VAT separately. I normally get these items about 4-6 days after they are delivered to Miami.

In spite of the long voyage all of my grizzly machines arrived in Trinidad undamaged. The cardboard boxes my Drill Press and table saw fence came in were damaged, but the tools themselves were OK. The only spare part I have ever ordered is tires for my bandsaw.

I have never bought small tools from Grizzly like pnuematic nailers and electric drills. The difference in price between them and brand name tools is too small to be worth it for me.

MK
Thank you for taking the time for such an informative reply-I think we all take for granted how easy it is to move, buy, sell goods here in America unless we are in the importing or exporting section of a business. Wow, I think you might pause alot longer on making a purchase than I ever needed to just due to the logistics and timetable you posted about. I bet the people at Grizzly who read some of our posts are proud of the effort you make to be a customer with them.:)

Kev Godwin
07-04-2010, 4:13 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I didn't really post this tread to be a contest but a few posts sure took me be surprise. Some bought Grizzly long-long before I ever heard of them....

1983 - David Helm and George Wilson.
1988 - Keith Outten and Ben Franz.
Wow.

I appreciate your comments.

Kev

Dar Lounsbury
07-04-2010, 6:45 PM
About 1995, I brought a 3hp Shaper from Grizzly. In 1997, I added another of the same. If one became available at a decent price, I would buy it to make three. These use dedicated setups for cabinet doors. Never change much.

I also have a Grizzly edge sander that works fairly well but could be better. The newer ones have improved.

Overall, I like Grizzly. People say you get what you pay for but I think they are better than that. Newer stuff has gotten to be pretty darn good.

D

Keith Hankins
07-06-2010, 10:45 PM

Kev

I bought the 1023slx about 6 years ago and its been moved twice and she still purrs like a kitten. Great saw. Sense then I've bought the 17" hd band saw, the horizontal boring machine and the 12 jointer. All great tools and for the bucks you can't beat em. If I were to upgrade my TS it would only be the sawstop for safety. As to quality they make great tools!

Van Huskey
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I think we all take for granted how easy it is to move, buy, sell goods here in America unless we are in the importing or exporting section of a business. :)

Funny, 'cause I always saw buying machines as a PITA with delivery etc. I now have a new respect for how darn easy it is!

C Scott McDonald
07-06-2010, 11:57 PM
I bought a grizzly band saw in the early 90's ish and it was junk. In fact junk would be offended if I called it grizzly. I had to turn the death machine on with a stick because you never knew what was going to happen when the wheels started turning. Serious. I gave up on it and sold it for scrap metal. I will see if i can find/scan the picture of it stuck to the magnet loader thing at the scrap yard.

Maybe they have improved but I think i would still pass on it. Every time somebody says something positive about Grizzly all I do is have flashbacks of that bandsaw. Which is a bummer because I really need some new DC equipment.

On a plus side I looked at thier stuff at the AWFS show in vegas last year and it looked nice. Fit and finish where really nice and the sales people where knowledgable but you know what they say about first impressions....

Scott

dirk martin
07-07-2010, 1:19 AM
I bought a MiniMax 24" bandsaw quite a few years ago. Had some problems with the switch, but I got it all worked out.

Then, I needed another large bandsaw, and thought I'd give Grizzly a shot, so I bought their 24" bandsaw.

I use them both heavily.
The only difference I can find between the two is that the Grizzly has a really nice blade tension release, and a table that's easier to tilt.

I'm reading people saying they'll buy better, by buying more expensive brands...but I don't see it, and I've tried both first hand.

I love my Minimax, but Grizzly works equally as well, and was a whole lot cheaper.

Tom Clark FL
07-07-2010, 9:46 AM

Mark

Mark, I personally find your post rather depressing. Very few in this hobby have such an elitist attitude that they demand the best or nothing.

There are different types of people in this hobby, most just hobbiest, and not all work their machines in a commercial environment. Grizzly was one of the first companies that made machines affordable for the amateur woodworker. Those who otherwise would not have the opportunity to purchase what they could afford. Most will upgrade the machines they use the most when they can afford it.

I know what quality machinery is, since I spent my whole career as a machinist. I never cared just how 'pretty' a machine was, just that it was built to do the job, and did it well. My Grizzlys are not commercial grade equipment, but for anyone who enjoys a hobby, they are very good value for the dollars spent.

I haven't purchased any new big machines in at least 18 years. My Grizzlys include two dust collectors, a 15" planer, 6" joiner, 3hp shaper, 6x48 belt/12"disk sander, 20" scroll saw, and a 14" band saw. All have been good machines, have been trouble free, and worth their purchase price. I once did have a really cheap 6x48 sander that was not very good, so I gave it to a neighbor and bought a better one. About 8 years ago I needed to get a steel cutting band saw to cut angle iron. I purchased a cheap Grizzly for about $200, and it did the job. It works great for what it is.

I thank Shaz for providing affordable equipment, of good quality for home workshop enthusiast. And I have great memories of using my Grizzlys for the last 20 years, and it has been a happy day waxing sentimental over them!

By the way, the only reason for the Powermatic table saw is I wanted a 48" sliding table, and it was the first available. I bought the saw used and the slider new…

Rob Lee CT
01-13-2013, 9:33 PM
I purchased my first Grizzly machine on May 17th, 1988. It was a G1021 15" planner. I just checked my file cabinet looking for the owners manual and found the original receipt, the planner was $695.00 plus $85.60 shipping.

I still own this planner, it has been the toughest machine I have ever owned. For over a decade my Dad and I kiln dried red and white oak lumber and sold it S2S, the Grizzly planner has seen more hours than most. It still has the original motor which is surprising since I ran it so hard in the early years it was common for the motor surface to get so hot I thought it was going to melt. My planner has the the old style bearings that you have to manually oil before each use and it is single speed. It isn't pretty but it sure has been an incredible machine.
Maybe the new machines aren't as good as the old ones.....I don't know :)

Keith, you beat me by about 2 months. I bought the same 15" planer to match up with my 6" Rockwell jointer and built a 4000 sf house full of poplar trim (and about 30 or 40 cabinet doors) with it. This weekend (2013) I used it for the last round of planing for my Roubo-style bench: something like 300 bf of hard maple laminated into 4x4 "boards".

I'm not overly proud of this planer: I keep thinking there are lots of better tools out there these days and I get more snipe and tearout than I'd like. But, truth be told, both problems are my fault: the infeed and outfeed rollers have slipped a little bit, and the Schmidt knives I bought about 10 years ago aren't as sharp as they ought to be.

I haven't bought another Grizzly tool: I own a Sawstop PCS, a Rikon 18" BS, a Powermatic 3520B, Delta drill press, and the 8" Yorkcraft jointer. All good tools, all work well enough for this hobbyist to have no excuses for bad work. I keep thinking I'd like to own a 12" J/P some day but...maybe I should just get a helical head for this old 1021 and use it for another 25 years?

Al Launier
01-13-2013, 9:43 PM
Received a Grizzly G0555LX bandsaw for Christmas from my wife. It's all set up & waiting for lumber to start its first project. So far, it's a love fest!

Harold Burrell
01-14-2013, 8:43 AM
Received a Grizzly G0555LX bandsaw for Christmas from my wife. It's all set up & waiting for lumber to start its first project. So far, it's a love fest!

Your wife gave you a BANDSAW for Christmas?!!! :eek:

My wife gave me a jar of mixed nuts...

Ole Anderson
01-14-2013, 8:53 AM
1998, bought my only Grizzly, a G1023 table saw. Has served me well.

Curt Harms
01-14-2013, 9:10 AM
1998 - I think - when the G1023 was switching from the crude Jet Lock clone fence. The fence was replaced, the saw still works good. I had a G1148 15" band saw that worked okay but better with a 1.5 h.p. motor upgrade. I sold that for a Rikon 10-325 with greater resaw capability. I don't currently own a Grizzly machine. Their track saw might change that :).

Rod Sheridan
01-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Your wife gave you a BANDSAW for Christmas?!!! :eek:

My wife gave me a jar of mixed nuts...

Be happy Harold, my family is a jar of mixed nuts (myself included)...........Rod.

Dick Holt
01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
My first Grizzly was a compressor I purchased in 2002. Since then I have added a tool chest and a bandsaw (G0555X). I also have a Fox W1741 jointer (same as Griz G0490) and a Shop Fox dust collector (same as Griz G0583).............Dick

Jim O'Dell
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Fun to see revived threads that still pull in some new comments. So I'll add mine. I only have one Grizzly tool so far. It is the G0691 table saw. I would eventually like to get a 490 or 490X jointer, but we'll see. Jim.

Chris Padilla
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
In 2000, I purchased a 1023Z table saw from Grizzly. It still has the original belts on it that every summer I tell myself I'm going to change....

Bryan Cowing
01-15-2013, 1:35 PM
I bought a used Grizzly DC back in 1988, a 4 bag 3hp , and kept it for 22 years, till I got a used Onedia DC system.

Kittu Baba
01-15-2013, 1:39 PM
Hope to receive mine this Thursday, a 18" bandsaw and a 12" jointer/planer combo.

Doug Richardson
01-15-2013, 1:51 PM
Some of you people are hilarious! I also belong to several disc jockey forums and the the same stupid ranting goes on there. "Mackie speakers suck! this brand is garbage, that brand is garbage, but the speakers I bought, well..... they float on top of the water, right next to Jesus!" :D
I remember when my company purchased a Jet mill, in the 80's I believe, from a guy taking orders and delivering them out of the back of a pickup truck.....
251237 It was the biggest piece of crap I had ever seen! But you know what? Obviously they have gotten better at making equipment, at least according to some of you Jet owners. And I'm sure Grizzly has too. Which is the reason the big boys are either going out of business, or moving some or all of their manufacturing operations overseas. Reasonable people tend to realize that they can build a cabinet just as good as the next guy, even if their fence is say .001 more bowed than the other guys. and the tool cost them $1000.00 less. So will Harbor Freight be running the others out of business? Probably not. But then they are not marketing their product to be a serious alternative to Delta or Powermatic.

Bill White
01-15-2013, 2:07 PM
My first Grizz was the 0444Z cont. TS about 5 years ago, second was the 1067Z lathe, last purchase has been the 0555LX BS. All have been good value/quality, customer and tech service has been excellent.
I will buy Grizz again for sure.
Top of mind when I purchase tooling is price/value relationship, and Grizz meets that objective.
Bill

Milind Patil
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
March 2010, G0690. Happy repeat customer ever since. My first stop for any tools shopping is CraigsList, second stop Grizzly. Buck stops there !

Greg McClurg
01-16-2013, 2:54 PM
Bought a Grizzly 6" jointer in 1988. Fit and finish was a bit rough, but nothing a little filing didn't fix. Never had any problems, and worked well until I sold it a few years ago to upgrade to a used PM 8" jointer.

David Hostetler
01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Since this thread has been dug up from the dead, I can actually answer that. My first Grizzly Machine is my Grizzly G0572 which arrived on my door in October 2010. So not a super long history with their machines, but so far the experience has been better than good. Very basic machine, with some of those extra bells and whistles like a timer and variable speed. I have too many other targets for too little money to want to upgrade any of my shop machines until something major breaks, but when it does, I am pretty sure Grizzly will be one of the sources I check out when looking for replacements...

Jim Andrew
01-16-2013, 10:35 PM
My first Grizzly purchase was about 8 years ago, bought a USED bench top drill press. That worked out well, and my next was a G0609 jointer. So far I have 6 Grizzly machines. The newest was my new planer and shaper. First thing I did after cleaning off the grease, was to take my file and take off any sharp edges. My thinking is that the table tops are cast steel, as they file easily, and drilling the shaper top for the power feeder worked well too. And I could use my center punch to mark the holes easily.

Jerome Stanek
01-17-2013, 8:09 AM
I ordered some stuff from them about 6 years ago. A mortising jig some router bits and a drill press to go with the mortising jig. The first router bit I tried exploded the minute I started the router and sent pieces everywhere had to dig them out of the wall luckily I didn't get hit the mortising jig lasted through 2 jobs before it broke and the drill press is still working but had to replace the motor

ken gibbs
01-17-2013, 8:21 AM
After buying my 2nd new Grizzly machine, a mid sized lathe, I am convinced that Grizzly has the best customer service of any main line woodworking machinery company. They go way past the warranty -mandated customer service requirements because they want your business. In a marketplace filled with old "good" named woodworking brands who usually spend a lot of effort to deny a warranty claim. I was pleasently surprised with the great service that Grizzly provides. Thank you Grizzly!

Ira Matheny
01-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Purchased an 18" Griz bandsaw in 2004. Got rid of 6 months later, the happiest day of my woodworking life.

Bruce Kohl
01-18-2013, 1:46 PM
My one, and so far only, Grizzly machine is a 20" G1033 planer purchased about 13 years ago. It has been a solid performer for me in my hobby workshop. It replaced an old Delta 13" four poster that was built in Brazil and was very well made. I went for the wider width that the Grizzly has, and it has been a good machine for me with no problems. It has the disposible blade system that works well, although at times I have considered adding one of the insert heads that are available. Based on my experience with this planer I would certainly consider buying another Grizzly machine if the need arises.

Shiraz Balolia
01-18-2013, 2:40 PM
I ordered some stuff from them about 6 years ago. A mortising jig some router bits and a drill press to go with the mortising jig. The first router bit I tried exploded the minute I started the router and sent pieces everywhere had to dig them out of the wall luckily I didn't get hit the mortising jig lasted through 2 jobs before it broke and the drill press is still working but had to replace the motor

Unless you ordered under a different name, we have no record of you having purchased anything from us. You and your construction company have only been in our system since 2010.