PDA

View Full Version : How Do I evaluate a used jointer?

Don Buck
06-30-2010, 3:06 PM
I'm looking at a used Delta DJ15 jointer. It is operational and seems in good condition. I've read some reviews by owners of the DJ15 as having wraped tables or fences. I don't know if this is an inherited problem with this model. Other than putting a square to the table and fence, any suggestions how to judge the condition and potential problems of this model jointer? Perhaps $$$ better applied to a new tool?

All advise is greatly appreciated.

Dan Friedrichs
06-30-2010, 3:59 PM
A square won't do you much good, but a quality straightedge and feeler gauges are necessary. Make sure the tables and fence are flat to within about 0.01" or better (I'd prefer 0.005" or better).

If the tables aren't co-planer, or if the fence isn't square, etc, etc - that can be adjusted later.

As long as the tables and fence are flat, you should be fine.

Ray Newman
06-30-2010, 4:23 PM
Besides checking for flatness, ask the owner to turn it on and do a test cut. Dull, chipped, etc., knives are relatively inexpensive to sharpen or replace.

Check all fence and table adjustement controls for ease of operation and ability to be tightened and hold.

Homer Faucett
06-30-2010, 4:58 PM
I think that the proof is in the pudding. Run a piece of stock through the jointer. Check the resulting board after a few passes by testing it against a table saw or other machined surface, or a good straightedge. If you can't get a flat board from using the machine, that tells me there is something wrong.

The other advice is also good--winding sticks and/or a steel straightedge. I personally don't own a steel straightedge, but use a piece of oak that I've just recently jointed true. YMMV, but that works for me.

Oh, and don't forget to listen when the jointer starts, and turn the cutterhead by hand. Replacing bearings usually isn't expensive, but it is a chore.

Van Huskey
06-30-2010, 9:50 PM
I think that the proof is in the pudding. Run a piece of stock through the jointer. Check the resulting board after a few passes by testing it against a table saw or other machined surface, or a good straightedge. .

I like to run two pieces through and compare the "glue joint" if you have solid technique you can tell an awful lot about the setup. A poor joint may only mean it needs adjusting but if it is "perfect" then you know you are good. A true straight edge is the one thing I carry to evaluate most any used machine.