PDA

View Full Version : Wood recommendation...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2010, 3:02 PM
The LOML is leaving next week for 4 weeks. She will visit her 87 year old Mom and the 2 of them will fly to Houston to visit those new twin granddaughters of ours.

While she is gone I want to build a swing that can be used on our small covered patio.

I need some recommendations as to a type of wood and some possible sources from which I could order.

Thanks!

Roger Newby
06-30-2010, 3:13 PM
White oak, cypress, eastern cedar for weather resistance....teak if you're really feeling wealthy :eek: cedar is usually available at the borgs. I don't know about hardwood suppliers in your area. You can buy online but the shipping is gonna burn bad:(

Cody Colston
06-30-2010, 3:28 PM
White Oak gets my vote.

It's relatively inexpensive compared to the exotics, it's a heck of a lot stronger than Cypress or Cedar and it weathers the elements very well.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2010, 3:50 PM
I have a fairly decent hardwood supplier about 30 miles from here. I think I will make a visit later today.

The swing will be under the small covered patio we have. It should weather well.

There is an excellent chance they have white oak.

Thanks guys!

Dan Friedrichs
06-30-2010, 3:55 PM
Ken,

My dad just rebuilt a porch swing using some very old cedar. He knew a farmer with a sawmill who acquired old cedar telephone poles and sawed them up.

I realize that is probably no help at all to you, but maybe you could locate a similar source for reclaimed material. This cedar is much, much harder and denser than anything I've seen in my lifetime. Pretty cool stuff...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2010, 4:03 PM
PS....this is a surprise so don't tell the LOML.

:D

John Thompson
06-30-2010, 6:10 PM
I'll join the others on white oak also Ken. It's extremely sturdy and the water resistance is fantastic. As witnessed by the fact it was used for ships beams and wharf pilings. That should not be too hard to get in your area or maybe it would as I have never purchased wood in Idaho. haha...

Good luck and stay out of trouble while the "boss" is out of tonw! ;)

Mike Cruz
06-30-2010, 7:32 PM
YOU HAVE 4 WEEKS TO YOURSELF TO PARTY AND YOU'RE THINKING OF A PROJECT TO MAKE??????? :eek: :eek:

Ron Jones near Indy
06-30-2010, 8:01 PM
My vote would be white oak also. Don't forget to allow time to get the house in order just before she returns. Good luck on the swing!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2010, 8:26 PM
Mike....I am a party animal. But at this age...a party is me with 4 beers and wondering if I can stay awake long enough to drink them.

Michael MacDonald
06-30-2010, 8:27 PM
white oak is heavy... is that a consideration?

Peter Quinn
06-30-2010, 8:57 PM
white oak is heavy... is that a consideration?

This is a good point. Teak does have the benefit of being relatively light for its strength. WO is every bit a heavy as it is strong, perhaps a bit heavier than it is strong actually. Of course it could always be worse, it could be IPE!

I don't know what the selection is locally but spanish cedar is a nice choice too, as is eucalyptus, and both are a bit lighter than oak. Even mahogany does pretty well out doors, particularly under a covered porch. Perhaps even Doug Fir with some reasonable protection in terms of finish would work under a porch, in a clear grade heart wood.

Jeff Willard
06-30-2010, 9:12 PM
As my local hardwood pusher, Jiri, would say (in a heavy eastern european accent), "ebony is absolutely best material for application":eek:. At that point you know that ash or poplar is the answer. But since it may have to endure some weather, W.O. would be a good compromise. Or mahogany. Jiri would like that:D.

Joe Shinall
06-30-2010, 9:26 PM
PS....this is a surprise so don't tell the LOML.

:D

What's it worth to ya? :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Well..............It won't be teak! I was working in the town where the wood supply is.....I priced teak and white oak. ......4/4 teak $39.76 /bf......8/4 teack $42.80 /bf........ White oak was a whole lot more affordable.

I'm not about to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to build a teak swing.

Mike Cruz
07-01-2010, 7:03 AM
Hmmmm, a 12" x 12" x 1" slab of teak OR a case of just about ANY beer of choice....while the wife is away....hmmmmm, let me think of this one for a minute.

Made my decision. A bottle of Cuervo, a bottle of Triple Sec, and a bottle of margarita mix. Yup, that would be it!

Now, for the next board foot of teak... decisions, decisions...

Terry Beadle
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Hickory is also a good selection. It has more flex to it than WO but not by much. However, it's quite a bit tougher and has more natural beauty IMO.

A little Watco tung oil will make it weather proof for sheltered porch environs. A little tougher on the tools but makes up for it with lightness, strength and beauty.

Roger Newby
07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Well..............It won't be teak! I was working in the town where the wood supply is.....I priced teak and white oak. ......4/4 teak $39.76 /bf......8/4 teack $42.80 /bf........ White oak was a whole lot more affordable.

I'm not about to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to build a teak swing.

There is a sawmill about 15 miles from me. He's asking $2.80 BF for 4/4 KD rough select & better white oak. And if your not in a hurry, his 1", 2" and 3" wet (not kiln dried) is $1.50 BF for 100 BF or more, $1.75 for less than 100BF.

I don't really like teak anyway :rolleyes:

David Helm
07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Since you're in Idaho you can probably get Western Red Cedar for a pretty good price. It is soft and very easy to work with.

Frank Drew
07-01-2010, 4:27 PM
Even mahogany does pretty well out doors, particularly under a covered porch.

Genuine mahogany has super weather resistance.

Phil Thien
07-01-2010, 10:50 PM
White oak for the reasons stated above.

Vince Shriver
07-01-2010, 11:04 PM
If you really like the teak, you might look at Ipe (teak substitute), but it's pretty heavy and tough on bits & blades. Lots cheaper than teak but weathers just as good.