PDA

View Full Version : How to get to the bottom

Ray Bell
06-30-2010, 2:31 PM
This is a cherry vessel. Over all height is 4 1/2", so far I have gone 3" deep, but it is very rough going. What tool, or combination of tools would you use for the inside of this?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2010, 2:41 PM
Ray,

I have a Sorby EHD scraper.......1/2" thick IIRC....works like a charm with easy sweeping motions.

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2010, 2:46 PM
Agree 0 if you don't have any hollowing tools - then a heavy duty scraper will work just fine. I would suggest that you turn your banjo around and place your tool rest a little inside of your form. That will give you a lot more support when hollowing!

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2010, 2:56 PM
Ray,

As Steve suggested getting your toolrest into it as much as possible will help provide more support.

Here's link showing the Sorby EHD scraper I use for some bowls where I am having trouble with tearout with a sharp gouge ...sometimes this tool will work better.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005160/4113/Extra-Heavy-Duty-Scraper--1-Bowl.aspx

Ray Bell
06-30-2010, 3:03 PM
Ken, Steve, thank you. "turn the banjo around" great idea, and I will do this. I also have a scraper like this, but hadn't thought of using it yet. So far it has been gouges, and easy rougher with arm jarring results.

Allen Neighbors
06-30-2010, 4:38 PM
I can get up to about 12-14 inches over the tool rest with a 1" shafted Oland Tool with a 1/8" HSS cutter. The smaller cutter takes smaller bites of wood, which translates to less pressure on the tool shaft, which results in less chatter. Then a scraper smooths the tool marks.