PDA

View Full Version : Business Increasing - Google Maps/Places

Tim Bateson
06-30-2010, 1:56 PM
A little over a month ago I added myself to Google Places/Google Maps. Now my phone is ringing more & more with every passing week with local business. It's surprising how many small manufacturing shops are nearby me that I've never heard of.

I suggest to those that have not yet taken the time to look into it, that Google Places is the Yellow Pages of our current time. There are a lot of tricks to increase your exposure. A lot of homework will help or a good Web-Master - still looking for one of those, but that's another story.

I love being busy, but I'm bordering on being too busy as a part-timer, but not busy enough to make it full-time...yet.

Larry Bratton
06-30-2010, 2:48 PM
Tim, sounds like things are turning the corner for you. Congratulations!

Guy Hilliard
06-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Tim;

I found the same thing when I started Google Maps. To step it up again try Google Adwords.

Albert Nix
07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Has anyone tried google site? I guess it is a web site builder?

Jeff Belany
07-01-2010, 1:56 PM
Tim,

I just signed up for Google Places. The only real problem I had was the 'Catagory' section -- when I tried to use Laser Engraving the closest I could get was Laser Cutting. Any other catagories I tried had nothing even close to what I wanted. And, as far as I can tell, you either use Google's catagories or nothing. Might I asked what you did for yours?

Thanks,

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Tim Bateson
07-01-2010, 1:57 PM
The only real problem I had was the 'Catagory' section -- when I tried to use Laser Engraving the closest I could get was Laser Cutting. Any other catagories I tried had nothing even close to what I wanted. And, as far as I can tell, you either use Google's catagories or nothing. Might I asked what you did for yours?

Yes, you may ask.

Tim Bateson
07-01-2010, 1:59 PM
:cool: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :cool: It will let you type in a new category.

Dan Hintz
07-01-2010, 2:32 PM
Jeff,

Just type what you want and ignore the suggestions. I think I selected "Laser Cutting Services", "Engraving", and the custom "LED Lighting".

Scott Challoner
07-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the tip Tim. I'm all signed up. Surprised I have to wait two weeks though.

Tim Bateson
07-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the tip Tim. I'm all signed up. Surprised I have to wait two weeks though.

2 weeks???? You can verify by phone right away.

Scott Challoner
07-02-2010, 8:00 AM
2 weeks???? You can verify by phone right away.
I should go back and check that out. When I was done registering, it said they would send me a postcard in two weeks with my account number. Thanks again

Dan Hintz
07-02-2010, 8:30 AM
I chose the postcard as I'm often not near my phone and I didn't want to miss the call.

Tim Bateson
07-02-2010, 9:06 AM
I believe I got the verification call in 5 - 10 minutes. I use my cell phone for business since it's surgically attached to my hip.

Jeff Belany
07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Tim,
I got the phone call in about 20 seconds, couldn't believe it. As far as typeing in what you want you want -- I did this but when I hit continue it sent me back and said"choose a Google catagory" I tried several times and it would not let me continue until I choose a catagory that they suggested, all of which were useless. Must be missing something but don't know what. Maybe I'll go back this weekend and see if I can edit my listing.

Thanks,

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Dan Hintz
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Try entering one of theirs along with your own, then once submitted, go back and delete theirs...

Ed Maloney
07-02-2010, 4:40 PM
Thanks for the tip! I verified via the phone, so I'm all set. How long does it take to kick in to show up on a map?

Ed