PDA

View Full Version : recommend a miter box

Bob Champoux
06-30-2010, 1:12 PM
Hi folks,

I've done a chunk of research but I can't seem to find definitive info....

What's your thoughts regarding older miter boxes. I've read that Atkins, Miller Falls/Langdon-Acme and Stanley all made nice ones. Any models stand out as being well built and precise? Any models to avoid?

What about the Stanley #150 which holds the saw differently in that, it holds it right by the blade?

And lastly, can you offer any comparisons between these older boxes and the current offerings by Nobex and Lee Valley?

I do know that I need to make sure when buying an old one, that it has all the parts!!

Cheers,

-bob

Jim Koepke
06-30-2010, 3:20 PM
Mine is a Craftsman from the 1950s or 1960s. It works well and has a little adjustment ability to fine tune the angles. It would be nice if it was more adjustable in this area. I am not sure if others have ways to refine the cut angles.

jim

steve swantee
06-30-2010, 3:57 PM
Hello Bob, I just bought the Nobex Champion from Lee Valley a couple of weeks ago and have not used it a lot yet, but in some initial test cuts it seems to be very accurate. I screwed it to a piece of 3/4" plywood and I clamp it down to my benchtop to keep it from moving around while sawing.

Steve

paul cottingham
06-30-2010, 4:23 PM
which model is that ? I am considering buying one...

steve swantee
06-30-2010, 6:27 PM
This one

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884

Steve

Bill Houghton
06-30-2010, 7:05 PM
What about the Stanley #150 which holds the saw differently in that, it holds it right by the blade?

DO NOT buy a Stanley 150. I owned one and gave it away. There's too much play, and too much friction. The Stanley 150 is kind of the miter box equivalent of the Stanley 75 bullnose plane - it resembles a good tool, but isn't. Maybe if all you ever used it for was cutting small picture frame molding; but not for anything more serious.

I own a Langdon Acme box and swear by it.

Darnell Hagen
06-30-2010, 9:45 PM
I've had two of the Nobex/ Lee Valley boxes.

I started with the Economical box. It's pretty small. The clamp is not so good. It does not lock at angles other than indented. I had a problem with how the saw was held up, but I can't remember exacly what it was.

Somewhat dissapointed by it, I picked up the Professional Model. It is a substantially better saw. However, it was shipped with the wrong clamp. I got a replacement, but it broke soon after. It's plastic, and a poor design, the mounting holes weakened the structure. I returned it, too.

Another drawback, in my opinion, is the impulse hardened teeth. When it's dull, it gets tossed.

If you're good with a saw file, keep your eyes open for an older Stanley model. I have two (http://thewayiwood.blogspot.com/2010/05/new-gets.html), and I haven't paid more than $20 apiece.

Gary Herrmann
06-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I've got a Langdon Acme. Great mitre box. I don't think mine is the biggest, but the toothed portion of my saw is 26" and it does everything I need.

Keep your eye on the bay. Vintage tools that aren't collectible (meaning rare or in mint condition) have been going for cheap since the economy is down.

Dave Matson
07-01-2010, 1:06 AM
+1 on the Langdon Millers Falls boxes. I have two of the cast iron models and they are awesome.

Bob Champoux
07-03-2010, 3:55 PM
Great!!

Thanks for the info!

I'll keep an eye peeled in various locales.

Sounds like looking for an old one versus buying a Nobex will be the way to go since it appears that Nobex aren't above and beyond the old boxes to warrant the cost...

Cheers,