PDA

View Full Version : Times Roman Normal

Andy Joe
06-30-2010, 9:59 AM
Looking for font times roman normal, all i find on google searches is times new roman, but they look diferent and the customer wants times roman, no exceptions. Any one out there have this font?

Scott Shepherd
06-30-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.linotype.com/13450/timesroman-font.html#format

Andy Joe
06-30-2010, 10:58 AM
thanks, i was hoping some one would share it with me, the job dosent justifiy spending 35 dollars on for one obscure font. Still, thank you for your response and link

Dan Hintz
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
If the customer wants the font, no exceptions, charge them for it. They'll either pay for the font or consider other fonts...

Mike Null
06-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Dan,

You're absolutely right.

Martin Boekers
06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Does the customer have the font in their font list?

If so you may have him lay it out for you and embed it.
This is done in the commercial graphics world all the time
as it assures the proper font is used.

The one thing, legally is you can use it for his job since he has
paid for it, but you can't just ad it to your font list.

If he has Corel or Illustrator he can lay it out and convert to curves
for you.

Other than that, if he wants to use the Font than I agree with Dan and Mike he should pay for it. You may decide to apply the cost through future work for him.

Marty

Andy Joe
06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Im not in charge of the priceing, im just an opperator. The company sent a file to the customer, who out sourced to me. Its been pre bided instead of time and material and i have been asking for the font since the beging, but insted they try to send me other files and such. Maybe im not good at explaining my self or maybe its cuase there are to many people envolved in this and its turned into a game of phone like when i was a kid. Either way i have all of the 10 phrases worked out but one, and they have been such a hassle i was hoping to just not have to talk to them anymore about the issues they keep making. thanks for the suggestions

Harper Abbot
06-30-2010, 1:14 PM
I have both Times New Roman and Times, which has a "roman" style, in my fonts database - i took a look at them, switching between the two, and can see no differences whatsoever. Are you sure the characters are actually different?

Harper Abbot
06-30-2010, 1:36 PM
http://www.creativepro.com/blog/typetalk-times-roman-vs-times-new-roman

I was curious, so I did some searching. The fonts are very very similar (there's a comparison image at the link above) and I'd say indistinguishable unless they were reproduced fairly large. It sounds like the differences are mainly between the opentype version and the actual metal die version?

Joe De Medeiros
06-30-2010, 1:37 PM
I have both Times New Roman and Times, which has a "roman" style, in my fonts database - i took a look at them, switching between the two, and can see no differences whatsoever. Are you sure the characters are actually different?

from wiki, it's mostly the same

Although Times and Times New Roman shares the same font design, various differences developed between the versions marketed by Linotype and Monotype when the master fonts were transferred from metal to photo and digital media. For example, Linotype has slanted serifs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif) on the capital S, while Monotype's are vertical. Most of these differences are invisible in body text at normal reading distances. (Vivid differences between the two versions do occur in the lowercase z in the italic weight and in the percent sign in all weights.)

Microsoft's version of Times New Roman licensed from Monotype matches the widths from the Adobe/Linotype version (a PostScript (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript) core font by Linotype (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mergenthaler_Linotype_Company)). It has the lighter capitals that were originally developed for printing German (where all nouns begin with a capital letter). Versions of Times New Roman from Monotype exist which vary from the Linotype metrics (i.e. not the same as the version for Microsoft).

Andy Joe
06-30-2010, 1:57 PM
The diferences are small but when they are 3'3' they are noticable.

Andy Joe
06-30-2010, 1:58 PM
Harper, could i get that font from you? Please

Harper Abbot
06-30-2010, 2:08 PM
I would be happy to help (as discussed above, it would be OK to use the font for their job since they own a license for it, provided the font was not retained for other uses), but I zoomed in and looked at my supposed "Times" font, and it does not have any of the characteristics that are supposed to differentiate it from Times New Roman. The copyright information on it is from Hewlett Packard, so I think it is just TNR masquerading as TR... Sorry!

Scott Shepherd
06-30-2010, 3:09 PM
Andy, with all due respect, you're asking someone to publicly agree to break the law and document doing it on the internet.

Sharing of paid fonts is not allowed on this site, unless something has changed that I didn't see.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-30-2010, 4:01 PM
Most people would never notice the difference, but those that work closely with fonts and graphics will see they are not the same - especially if they are large scale and/or they are placed next to text that is already there.

To show the difference in some of the characters, here is an image with the two types of text placed on top of each other. Times Roman is in red.

Andy, you can PM me with the text you need and I can send you a corel file with the text converted to curves for you. Sending you the font file would be illegal.

Mike Null
06-30-2010, 6:36 PM
Steve is absolutely right. We cannot permit sharing of font files on this forum.

Roy Nicholson
07-01-2010, 5:34 AM
Andy Joe

This might help

http://www.eaglefonts.com/download.php?image_id=158532

Regards

Roy N.

Dan Hintz
07-01-2010, 7:59 AM
Roy,

Eagle doesn't allow hotlinking, so the best you can do is give the font name and let someone look it up themselves.

Scott Shepherd
07-01-2010, 8:30 AM
Try Dutch 801 that's included on your Corel disks. I don't have Times Roman so I can't compare it, but it looks like it's pretty darn close to what Mike posted and you already own it.

Andy Joe
07-01-2010, 8:58 AM
Sorry, i didnt realise there was legal issues with font shareing. I didnt mean to make it into an issue. Thanks for all you help, and sorry again for the issue

Scott Shepherd
07-01-2010, 9:06 AM
Andy, please don't think anyone is doing anything other than trying to help you. No harm meant by any of us. Learning about all the things you can do and can't do in this business takes some time and most all of us did exactly the same thing you did in the beginning. Fonts and logos and two things that will cause you many issues over the years to come. Both need to be used legally or you'll end up with a real mess on your hands. In the case of logos, if you were to use a logo without permission, it could cost you your job and your owner his business. There are several big boys out there that would gladly take all you have if they found you used their logo without permission.

Hang in there, it's a lot to take in and understand, but you're in the right place to learn it all. If you don't know, just ask, we're here to help, even if it doesn't seem like it some times :)