PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Rail & Stile Set

brett gallmeyer
06-30-2010, 8:06 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm on the lookout for a Good Shaker Rail and stile set. I would like the two piece design that way i can leave them set up in two different router tables. I'm getting ready to redo the kitchen for my dear old mom and she really wants something simple... yeah! I'm over the "buy the cheapest thing I can find phase" but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars since I wont be makeing any $$ on this job either. So here are the criteria.

Shaker style with the angled edge Like this
#91-505
http://www.infinitytools.com/Rail-Stile-Router-Bits-For-Cabinet-Doors/products/1273/

I'm going to be useing 1/4" ply for the panels and we all know thats its not acctually 1/4" so i need an adjustable cutter for the center or and undersized one.

A good quality 2 piece set.

So far my choice is this infinity. but, i would need to purchase a seperate cutter for undersized plywood which adds $40 to the price. Just wondering if anyone had any other sugestions....

thanks, brett g.

Buck Williams
06-30-2010, 8:41 AM
Amana makes a two piece set that comes with various shims so that the cutter for the panel thickness is adjustable. A bit more money than the Infinity set, I have the Mission style cutters, pleased with the quality so far. Search for Amana Instile bits.

Curt Harms
06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
but the new Freud Rail & Stile set have adjustable adjustable groove cutters, double sided profiles, extended tenons etc. They ain't cheap at $175 for a 3 piece set.
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=35819602

Richard M. Wolfe
06-30-2010, 11:09 AM
What I have found with router bits is that you may get one (or a set) that is about as good as the high priced ones, or you may get something you can't use. That is, the quality of the material may be good but quality control lacking. If it's a company that's been around for a while they will generally exchange them or refund your money but you are out the time, shipping and aggravation. I won't make any recommendations here; the price tag will generally tell.

brett gallmeyer
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I really like freud bits.. however they don't make the new style in the profile i'm looking for.. so so far its amana or infinity...

Terry Sparks
06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I made my laundry room and kitchen cabinets with very good results using Marc Sommerfelds Shaker set (among others) using two identically set up router tables. It was an easy set up and it was easy to match up the cuts between the tables using his system.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/3-Pc-Shaker-Set/productinfo/03005/

Gregory Stahl
06-30-2010, 1:09 PM
I like the Amana set and the flexibility it allows. I have owned it for about a year and it works good. I'm going to do 1" doors with 1/2" panels for my next project.

Greg Stahl

brett gallmeyer
07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
i would also consider a shaper set... but i would have to buy a shaper... lol....

Dave Lewis
07-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I used a Freud 99-260 two-piece set that looks close. It's worked fine.

Most of my router bits are Whiteside or Freud - sharp good steel.

Matt Meiser
07-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I used an Amana set for a kitchen last year. Expensive but worth it for the adjustability that let me size it to the material I was using for panels.

scott vroom
07-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Brett, check out the cabinets in this earlier post:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138557

....and his response on which router bits were used:

Router bits:
MLCS Katana #18837 for the rail & stile set. Provides a shaker style bevel.

Lee Valley # 16J6651 for the raised panel. I used 3/4" thick panels and made a cut on both sides, centering the 'tongue' so that both the front and back is flush with the rails/stiles. I over sized the panels by about 1/2" and then cut approximately 1/8" off the tongue after routing the edges. It sounds like extra work, and it was, but I thought it looked better with less of a space between the rails/stiles and the panel.