PDA

View Full Version : Does a product like this exist

Lee Ludden
06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
I am pretty sure I am not the first person whom has been in this situation, so hopefully there is a solution available.

We recently rearranged our master bedroom to make room for some new furniture. We have one outlet in the room that is controlled by a switch near the door. That outlet is now on the opposite side of the room from the lamp my wife wants it to control. The room has vaulted ceilings with no attic access to make rewiring the outlet even remotely possible.

Ideally, I am looking for a device that I can plug into the switched outlet, and when that outlet is powered, it remotely powers on a light across the room. Bonus points awarded if there is a solution that also includes a hand held remote that functions as a three way switch.

I have found products that look like a wall switch, but are the actual remote, but those don't match the other switches in the room, so while functional, it is not the ideal solution.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Lee

Bryan Morgan
06-30-2010, 1:15 AM
Just go to Amazon and search for "remote outlet"...tons of them

http://www.amazon.com/DSI-Outlet-Wireless-Remote-Outlets/dp/B000G80V28/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1277874849&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-13568-3-Outlet-Wireless-Converter/dp/B001Q9EFUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1277874849&sr=8-1

Jim Koepke
06-30-2010, 1:30 AM
Ideally, I am looking for a device that I can plug into the switched outlet, and when that outlet is powered, it remotely powers on a light across the room.

Isn't that called an extension cord?

:rolleyes:

jim

neal jack
06-30-2010, 2:54 AM
i am not sure, might be

John Coloccia
06-30-2010, 5:50 AM
Isn't that called an extension cord?

:rolleyes:

jim

Oh, a wiseguy, eh?
http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/ThreeStooges.jpg

Zach England
06-30-2010, 8:15 AM
I have one for my dust collector and I am always losing the remote. Once I sucked it up into the DC. Fortunately it got stuck before hitting the impeller.

Mitchell Andrus
06-30-2010, 8:31 AM
Home Depot has one. It's a little man who stands at the switch. When you clap your hands once, he flips it to 'on' and when you clap your hands twice, he flips it to 'off'.

They're working on a dimmer model, but interpreting the volume of one's clapping is a stumbling block.

John Coloccia
06-30-2010, 8:59 AM
Funny story: Years ago, when I was working my assistantship in graduate school, part of my job was to go to faculty and staff offices and help them with their computer problems. There was one guy who couldn't figure out why his computer wouldn't turn on.

I paid him a visit and he went on and on about all the things he's tried but to no avail. Of course the first thing I noticed is the power strip he was plugged into was off, no doubt turned off by his foot or by the cleaning staff.

Without saying a word, I nonchalantly got my foot close to the strip and *CLAP* *CLAP*, flicked the switch and voila! He said, "How'd you do that??".

"Do what?"

I never did tell him and I'm not sure he ever figured it out.

This has happened enough times that I developed a routine of several different magical computer fixes. The Clapper was one of my favorites. A close second was the laying on of hands, especially popular in the religious studies department. I put my hands on the monitor, and in my best TV evengelist voice, "If ya' believe in Jesus, rise up and walk brother!". *FLICK*

Prashun Patel
06-30-2010, 9:36 AM
There are a lot of remotes that will work - but I really doubt you'll find one to 'match' your switch.

Bryan Morgan
06-30-2010, 3:58 PM
There are a lot of remotes that will work - but I really doubt you'll find one to 'match' your switch.

If he's crafty he can tear the guts out of the remote and wire up an existing matching switch...;)

Wayne Hendrix
07-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I am pretty sure I am not the first person whom has been in this situation, so hopefully there is a solution available.

We recently rearranged our master bedroom to make room for some new furniture. We have one outlet in the room that is controlled by a switch near the door. That outlet is now on the opposite side of the room from the lamp my wife wants it to control. The room has vaulted ceilings with no attic access to make rewiring the outlet even remotely possible.

Ideally, I am looking for a device that I can plug into the switched outlet, and when that outlet is powered, it remotely powers on a light across the room. Bonus points awarded if there is a solution that also includes a hand held remote that functions as a three way switch.

I have found products that look like a wall switch, but are the actual remote, but those don't match the other switches in the room, so while functional, it is not the ideal solution.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Lee

Actually there is an ideal solution. There are wirelessly controlled receptacles and switches that you can simply replace the existing switch and receptacle with that will do exactly what you want without rerouting the wiring . The switch sends an RF signal out that the receptacle picks up and then turns on.

The two downsides are one that you need a neutral wire at the switch which there usually isn't. This is should very easily remedied if your home is relatively newer by simply changing a couple of the connections in the existing wiring. If the home is older it should still be doable but will be slightly more complicated. The other down side is the cost. A very simple setup with one outlet and one non-dimming switch will probably cost around $90.

We installed one of these systems (I don't recall exactly which system) in a condo in Park City, UT a few years ago and it worked great. It was easy to install and worked flawlessly.

Here are an example receptacle and switch:
switch: http://www.smarthome.com/2476S/SwitchLinc-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-Non-Dimming-White/p.aspx
receptacle: http://www.smarthome.com/2473SWH/OutletLinc-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Outlet-White/p.aspx