PDA

View Full Version : Can I safely change the size of my arbor nut for a dado stack?

Caleb Larru
06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I have a G0651 table saw and recently purchased the Freud SD608 dial a width dado set after being assured by Rockler it would fit on my saw. Everything fits except for the arbor nut. It is too wide to fit into the dial shoulder. If the nutt was a bit smaller it would have plenty of of threads to tighten down.

My stock arbor nut is approx an 1.5" wide. The Freud stack calls for an arbor nut less than an 1.1875" (1 3/16"). My question is would it be safe to use a smaller arbor nut (if I could find one) on this dado stack? One of my concerns (other than killing myself) is that arbor nuts are usually made of softer metal so that you don't strip your arbor.

Am I missing the forest for the trees?

Leo Graywacz
06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
My Delta UniSaw arbor nut is only 5/16" wide.

Caleb Larru
06-29-2010, 11:51 PM
My Delta UniSaw arbor nut is only 5/16" wide.

I don't think I explained it correctly. I should have said the diameter instead of width.

Keith Westfall
06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
One of my concerns (other than killing myself) is that arbor nuts are usually made of softer metal so that you don't strip your arbor.

I would think that this is more of a result in how tight you make it, rather on how soft the nut is to prevent it.

Any nut that would fit the dado shoulder should be OK.

Jason White
06-30-2010, 3:28 PM
Make sure you're not installing the arbor washer with the nut. You only need the nut with the dado stack. That should give you just enough room for the dado stack.

I don't think I explained it correctly. I should have said the diameter instead of width.

lawrence dosson
06-30-2010, 8:36 PM
is there a chance that you can just order a second nut from grizzly and take it to a machine shop and have them machine of some of the od. were it fitts in the dado stack?? or am i not reading this correct ? lawrence