PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City, Utah

Michael James
06-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Ok, the roaming begins this weekend! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
My sister has a new place outside SLC and there's wood all over. What would / should I be on the lookout for to bring from there? This one's pretty much a totally booked event, but I can see sneaking up there sometime on a wood gathering venture in the near future.
Ok, Im a liitle lazy, but I swear when I google these things about species everybody gets all latin on me.
The architecture is, in my opinion, extraordinary using massive beams and lots of rock - very rustic. Im gonna snap some pics, and Jeff N (no I have NOT mastered the tool) is going to set me up with some woods to turn that match a couple of the open spaces.
All hints and tips are welcome.
Thanx!
mj

Zach England
06-30-2010, 8:20 AM
I can tell you where to get Indian food. There's not a lot of hardwood outside of urban areas here. It will mostly be pine and aspen. I'd love to have you come cut down my neighbor's chestnut tree, though.

Scott Lux
06-30-2010, 9:46 AM
If you need wood, don't go to Utah! Come to Ohio.

I can put you on apple, cherry, walnut, sycamore, maple, mulberry, and oak. That's without leaving my property. You could get cottonwood, ash, and boxelder too, but those are boring. There's Osage, Black Locust, and Honeylocust, and Hawthorn too, but those are dangerous :eek:

Enjoy the trip.

Curt Fuller
06-30-2010, 1:48 PM
MacBeath's Hardwood. It's one of the homes of the Utah Woodturners Club and an excellent source of turning wood.

1576 S. 300 W. - Salt Lake City, UT 84115
(800) 225-3743 / (801) 484-7616

But they're only open until noon on saturdays.

Jon Finch
06-30-2010, 3:32 PM
I can tell you where to get Indian food.

Yes, do tell? I kind of like India Fusion in Jordan Landing.

If it's a commercal source of wood you're after (and don't mind driving a little south), I'd throw in Timberline Supply (Orem) and Craft Supply (Provo) in addition to McBeaths.

Michael James
06-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Once again, you are all awesome, big thanks for some good resources. Scott, I was born in OH, and mom got the heck outa there swearing she would never shovel snow again.... so here I am. I might be willing to do a driveby sometime and sample some of that wood - sounds like really good stuff. As a beginner, its all new to me!:p
mj

Brent Ring
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Actually, one of my favorite places is High Mountain Forest Products. They are on the web, and their prices are better than MacBeaths IMO. They have sheet goods and a few areas of $1/bft piles. They have given me some great deals as well, outside of regular pricing.

Scott Lux
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
If you're in OH, stop by.

David Walser
07-01-2010, 7:25 PM
If you're looking for trees native to Utah, there's not a lot to choose from. Cottonwood, aspen, juniper, and several types of pine and fir -- all depending on the elevation -- are the more common trees. The foothills along the Wasatch Front are covered with what the locals call scrub oak. It doesn't get very large, but it'll produce quality turning blanks.

In addition to the native trees, the residents have imported a lot of varieties. There are apple, cherry, apricot and peach orchards, and a wide variety of ornamental trees.

Between the native and imported trees, there's a lot of good wood. However, remember that Utah's a desert. There are far better places to find wood than Utah.

Randy Gazda
07-01-2010, 9:37 PM
You never know what you will find, unless you look. Have you checked woodfinder.com?

Curt Fuller
07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
If you're looking for trees native to Utah, there's not a lot to choose from. Cottonwood, aspen, juniper, and several types of pine and fir -- all depending on the elevation -- are the more common trees. The foothills along the Wasatch Front are covered with what the locals call scrub oak. It doesn't get very large, but it'll produce quality turning blanks.

In addition to the native trees, the residents have imported a lot of varieties. There are apple, cherry, apricot and peach orchards, and a wide variety of ornamental trees.

Between the native and imported trees, there's a lot of good wood. However, remember that Utah's a desert. There are far better places to find wood than Utah.

Actually, that's why I referred him to MacBeaths. I just as soon all you "foreigners" left my wood alone!;);)