PDA

View Full Version : reduce miter slide or increase slot width

Bruce Seidner
06-29-2010, 9:29 PM
I have a rehabilitated Craftsman table saw model 113.298721 and its miter slot is about a sheet of paper of shy 3/4". I clearly need better measuring tools but this is the best I can do. I just purchased a very spanky Vega miter gauge/slide that is about a paper sheet too wide for the table saw miter slot and fits very tightly, but fits, the miter slot on my Jet band saw.

What is the conventional fix for this. Is there some accurate way to remove the material from the table saw slot or from the Vega miter bar? I have a file and a metal vice but think this might lack some fineess.

Bruce

Bill Huber
06-29-2010, 10:11 PM
That is the problem with the older Craftsman table saw. I had one and had to buy everything so it would fix it, I sold that saw.

I don't see why you could not take a block of wood with some emery cloth on it and start widening the slot on the saw, it would take some work but I think it could be done.
I would just work on the left side of the slot to widen it. I would use a block that was about 10" long with emery cloth just one the side, not on the bottom. Us some spray glue to hold it there.
Start making long strokes from out a little in the front to out a little in the back.

I would not do anything to the miter bar, that way it will still work in the band saw and if you ever get a new saw it will work in it.

Good luck.

david brum
06-30-2010, 12:06 AM
I had a similar problem with the slots machined into my Shop Fox cab saw. I fixed it by carefully running a large,flat file along the side of the slot. Cast iron cuts pretty easily, so it isn't a difficult job. As you get close to completion, you can color the sides of your miter bar with a pencil, then run it back and forth in the slot. The pencil lead will smear onto the high spots in the miter slot and you'll know where you need to do more work.

I agree with Bill about just working one side. You don't want to end up with miter slots that aren't straight and parallel with each other.

Will Overton
06-30-2010, 7:07 AM
First, ask Vega if they have a bar to fit the Craftsman saw. There are so many of these saws still around that they may just have a solution.

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/index.htm

Bill Huber
06-30-2010, 9:15 AM
First, ask Vega if they have a bar to fit the Craftsman saw. There are so many of these saws still around that they may just have a solution.

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/index.htm

The problem with that is once you put a different bar on it then it will not fit in the band saw. I use my miter guide on the table saw, band saw, Ridig sander and router table. If I had a smaller bar I could not do that and with have to have to miter guides.

Will Overton
06-30-2010, 10:04 AM
have to have to miter guides.

I was thinking maybe two bars, or a narrow (the difference is slight) the was adjustable. Just a thought.

Bruce Seidner
06-30-2010, 3:29 PM
Because the Vega miter gauge is standard issue 3/4 inch and assembled to work and the craftsman table is 1970's "whadeva" it makes sense to widen the slots on the table. I had contacted Vega but heard nothing back.

I will cut some plywood and glue emory cloth on one edge and have at it. No reason not to make it the length of the entire slot. There is not that much material to shed and the damage to effort ratio is pretty good. It takes little effort to ruin machinery using power tools so I will keep the dremel out of the picture. It makes sense to get the table saw slots to 3/4" plus I don't think I can bullocks it up if I take my time.

Thanks all for the feed back.