PDA

View Full Version : A few old "users"

steven c newman
06-29-2010, 8:30 PM
Just a few of my old users in the shop. A big chisel by a company called Worth, A spokeshave with no name, A no-name ( or even a mark) 'smooth plane" to name a few. Some pictures? Some names, maybe? That "Tri-square is a Stanley "Handyman" . The big chisel is an older style, with a steel lamination for the cutting edge, and wrought iron for the rest of the "blade". It has a "triangle" profile to the top of the blade. The marking gauge has "inch" markings on it, but again, no names. Plane is just under 9" long. The chip breaker was painted that blue colour by a previous owner. Just some old users.:)

steven c newman
06-29-2010, 11:33 PM
another old beater, just needs a little work to make it "pretty" again

steven c newman
07-01-2010, 1:27 AM
well they ain't pretty, haven't got a fancy name plate on them. They show up for work every day, ready to go. And that's fine with me.:D

George Sanders
07-01-2010, 7:06 AM
Certainly no prima donnas there, just good old users. The big chisel is called a slick and it's used for timber framing.
I have an eclectic collection of tools that are generally just users. Some have been overhyped such as the bedrock planes. I have some much maligned cheaper planes that perform just as well.
Tools were made to be used, so do just that and enjoy them.

Archie England
07-01-2010, 8:28 AM
Sharpen these oldies (merely ugly ducklings for the moment) and use them. Don't know where you are in terms of skill and knowledge for working with hand planes, but most of these look like they have "good bones," all but the red one which looks like a very recent Sears clone. That one, if my assumption is right, has a very poor seat for the frog and is very prone to chatter. Transform it into a scrub plane with massive chamber on the blade. (Just a suggestion).

Be sure to flatten the backs of each blade at least 1/4 inch above the edge, and hone after establishing your 25 or 30* angle.

Mineral spirits (or Turp or ....) will remove paint. Gentle elbow grease will clean up most wood parts. Don't get too aggressive with sandpaper on any of the metal sides or bottoms. In fact, if you get fluffy shaving without flattening the bottom of each plane, then do nothing more to the plane--IF IT WORKS DON'T FIX IT!

Welcome to the Creek. Hope you enjoy you visit.

Arch

steven c newman
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Old Red is about 25 years old. Made for a company called Great Neck. I've tuned it as best as I can. The one beside it is tuned up and working nicely. It has the job of tapering any legs I need for tables of the Shaker type. The big chisel has seen a rough life, some time ago, and is in semi-retired life now. When I need it, it is ready to go, as always.:cool:

steven c newman
07-05-2010, 1:28 PM
About the same age as that big chisel, there is also a corner chisel in the shop. Each "side" is about 3/4" wide, the handle (long gone) area was a socket type. This part of the chiesl is badly mushroomed over. I'm wondering whether to grind the mushroom off, and fit a new handle, or just leave this thing alone. No makers marks are visable. Apparently, someone had been using this as a ground stake. The chisel's length is about the same as that big chisel. A keeper, or not?:confused: