PDA

View Full Version : workbench progress pictures

Kurt Loup
12-01-2004, 5:51 PM
Here's a link to a couple pictures of a workbench I have in progress. I hope to have the top completed this weekend. All I need to do to complete the top is finish the dovetails for the tool tray and cut the grooves for the tray in the end caps and rear apron. I used a mixture of power tools and hand tools during construction, but power tools were used for the bulk of the work. Anyone that builds a bench top from rough lumber with only handtools has my respect. I have a wild idea for a method for raising and lowering the height of the bench top, but I'll comment on it after I start building the base and know that it will actually work.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/Image021-488x361.jpg

http://www.loup-garou.net/workbench

Fixed the above link to more pictures.

Tom LaRussa
12-01-2004, 7:58 PM
He's a link to a couple pictures of a workbench I have in progress. I hope to have the top completed this weekend. All I need to do to complete the top is finish the dovetails for the tool tray and cut the grooves for the tray in the end caps and rear apron. I used a mixture of power tools and hand tools during construction, but power tools were used for the bulk of the work. Anyone that builds a bench top from rough lumber with only handtools has my respect. I have a wild idea for a method for raising and lowering the height of the bench top, but I'll comment on it after I start building the base and know that it will actually work.

Looking good Kurt! :)

Is that maple?

Also, what kind of framing and vises are you using?

Jim Becker
12-01-2004, 8:22 PM
Looks like oak to me, Tom.

Nice job, Kurt! That's going to be a fine bench.

Kent Cori
12-01-2004, 8:35 PM
Kurt,

I'm looking forward to pics of the finished project as well as more info on your raising/lowering approach.

Kurt Loup
12-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Tom,

I'm using a Wilton quick release vise that I got on closeout at Lowe's for the shoulder vise and the small $44 Woodcraft tail vise. I'm not sure about the tilting vise face on the Wilton. Whatever you clamp must be in the center or it doesn't tighten down properly. It won't tighten at all if you want to clamp a board in it vertically for cutting dovetails unless you put a spacer on the opposite side of the jaw. It removes easily enough by pulling a pin. I want to add a wooden face to the front jaw regardless of whether or not I keep the pivoting face in place. I inlet the rear jaw of the vise, so the rear jaw is now the front apron. The top is a mix of white and red oak, mostly red. The front dog hole section and side and rear aprons are 4" and the center of the bench is about 1 7/8" thick.

Kurt