PDA

View Full Version : Hi and semi gloat maybe?

Brander Roullett
06-29-2010, 5:59 PM
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while, but I figured I'd get myself out there on the Neanderthal forum.

I'm Badger (real name Brander Roullett by your boards log in rules, but I'll only ever sign it Badger).

I've been going more and more Neander as you call it here, and loving it. I took a long trip out to NC (I'm from Seattle, WA) to take a couple days of classes at Roy Underhill's new school. I lucked out and got to go to PATINA that weekend by some miracle.

I'm a newly minted member of PNWTC, and starting down this path of hand tools.

Recently a co-worker had some old tools left from his step fathers passing, and offered them to me for what i thought would be a decent amount.

I perused the pictures, and offered $140.

Here is what I got:
http://www.badgerwoodworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/jacks-tools.jpg

Full post on my blog here:
http://www.badgerwoodworks.com/2010/06/jacks-tools/

The smoother is a no go, no iron, and the side is cracking out when the wedge gets pressure, but the rest are in good shape.

The ECE Jack? plane looks solid, but I couldn't find any information on it around the web. I'm not concerned about how much I paid, but I was curious on how I did compared to value on these?

badger

Archie England
06-29-2010, 6:27 PM
Welcome to a mighty nice place.

Congrats on your entry...May this new found slope be free of splinters, nicks, bad cuts, slices, yada yada yada....

Nice first go at old tools. Hock Tools carries thick irons for old planes like those woodies. Though a bit pricey, you'll find his iron terrific; but, that could be said for several other sources as well. No affiliation, just a satisfied, repeat customer.

Having just studied with St. Roy, keep us updated on the fettling of these tools. BTW, one of SMC regulars, Jim Koepke, is from that general region (I'm thinkin' that's right). He's a terrific resource for us all. Perhaps you can get him to show you the ropes for the slope.

Nice to meet you,

from the rainy, stormy, oily Gulf area

Arch

Brander Roullett
06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I have a few other plans and saws other than these, but I'm still working on building my skills with them.

there are so many skills that go into being respectable that it's hard to learn them all at once. I am making progress though.

My biggest constraint is time. I have a two year old at home, and full time job which gives me only a little time to play. :)

badger

Jake Rothermel
06-30-2010, 1:16 PM
...is that the end of a baseball bat masquerading as the handle for that boat slick??! I love it!

Brander Roullett
06-30-2010, 2:21 PM
...is that the end of a baseball bat masquerading as the handle for that boat slick??! I love it!

I know, it's an odd one. It's a hefty tool though.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2010, 3:08 PM
Badger, welcome to the Creek. When I saw Badger, I thought you might be from Wisconsin. As I recall, that is the Badger State.

Looks like a good start on the hand tool accumulation.

If you are ever passing through the south side of the state, shoot me a PM if you have time to drop in. I am almost always home.

jim

Brander Roullett
06-30-2010, 5:16 PM
Badger, welcome to the Creek. When I saw Badger, I thought you might be from Wisconsin. As I recall, that is the Badger State.

I picked up the nickname quite a few years ago. Never been to Wisconsin, primarily the coasts, mostly West and some East.

The origins of the nickname are lost in the fog of time, but I seem to recall it having something to do with a roommate thinking it was a good idea to stand between me and the coffee maker one morning.

So, Jim, are you a member of PNTC? or are there similar organizations around our fair state?

badger